Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 M3 - Red / 12k Miles

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-BMW-M3-...9ZWW-Y&vxp=mtr

Very interested to hear some comments on this one. Both the right fender and right quarter have been replaced, yet it is still bidding at $100k with reserve not met. That has to be all of the money (and more) despite the mileage!

Fender being replaced not a big deal. Quarter panel being replaced, Big Deal! considered frame damage.
    seems like a real nice car though. The low miles are very appealing but I sit on the fence with the replaced Qtr.

Comment

No AC? 12K miles or not, not worth that much money. I would love to have another M3 but this is just getting stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by pauliecarzz View Post
        Fender being replaced not a big deal. Quarter panel being replaced, Big Deal! considered frame damage.
        seems like a real nice car though. The low miles are very appealing but I sit on the fence with the replaced Qtr.
        If someone expects a premium for a car, any body panels replaced is a huge deal.
        Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
        1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
        2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
        http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

I have a trans in my basement from an E30 M3 that was wrecked at 4500 miles,,, it happens.
          Probably something similar happened to this shell, except someone saved it and sat on it.
          I'm sure its fishing expedition, if someone bites,,, trophy fish!

If they put that car on the Bring A Trailer website the pedantic assholes o the peanut gallery on that site would tear it apart.
          jimmy p.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I couldn't imagine in a million years paying that kind of money for anything other than the very best example. For only 12K miles, that car has seen a lot of shit. I would much rather buy a high mileage car that has been cared for and preferably been with one or two owners. I have said it before....to me, these cars aren't much fun unless you modify them. Give me aftermarket engine management and/or piggyback. Give me the bigger displacement, give me cams, give me head work, give me a CF airbox etc.. The list goes on... BUT....different strokes for different folks. I would be surprised if the buyer lays out the money for a car that has been half blended but who knows.

Comment

Shill bidder?
              Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
              • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
              • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
              • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
              • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
              • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
              • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
              • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
              • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
              • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
                I couldn't imagine in a million years paying that kind of money for anything other than the very best example. For only 12K miles, that car has seen a lot of shit. I would much rather buy a high mileage car that has been cared for and preferably been with one or two owners. I have said it before....to me, these cars aren't much fun unless you modify them. Give me aftermarket engine management and/or piggyback. Give me the bigger displacement, give me cams, give me head work, give me a CF airbox etc.. The list goes on... BUT....different strokes for different folks. I would be surprised if the buyer lays out the money for a car that has been half blended but who knows.

Thats the exact thing that most people miss about this car when they say its underpowered, etc. They look at this car like its any other car,,, built to be a sellable street car, then later raced by the factory to sell those cars.
                E30 M3s were first designed to be race cars, then somewhat neutered to be the homologation necessary street car.
                The car only "really" excels when you allow it to be what it was supposed to be.
                S14s were never intended to have air flow meters on them, they were designed to have CF intakes with Alpha N,,, they put an AFM meter on it to be able to sell it as a street car.
                They are best when allowed to be what they were made to be.
                I know I just went WAAAAY off on a tangent after reading your post Floss LOL
                Last edited by jimmy p.; 07-12-2017, 02:14 AM.
                jimmy p.
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

But Jimmy....you are 100% right in my eyes. The car was obviously neutered for homologation purposes. Now you can still have some fun with the car in street clothes but let's be real...the car was built for the races and to drive it in THAT form is what excites me. This also, as you mention, ties in to the misconception (IMO) in regards to the S14 being underpowered and essentially no good. In neutered form it's a good engine but in its intended form, and even slightly more mild, it is the soul of BMW's best days. An incredible motor in an awesomely balanced chassis.

Comment

In neutered form it's a good engine but in its intended form, and even slightly more mild, it is the soul of BMW's best days. An incredible motor in an awesomely balanced chassis.
                    That should be a banner on the site header Haha

jimmy p.
                    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

In neutered form it's a good engine but in its intended form, and even slightly more mild, it is the soul of BMW's best days. An incredible motor in an awesomely balanced chassis.
                      This could be my first tattoo........

T

Comment

Much of it's value is in the ultra low mileage but the car is no longer original if it has a DOT R fender AND a replaced quarter panel on a unibody car. Then there's the color matching issue where one side of the car has new paint while the other has 30 year old paint. Was it resprayed in the original single stage Glasurit or equivalent? I'm not a concours guy by any means, my cars are clean drivers with some miles on them but at this kind of money, those would be huge deal breakers for me.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                        89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
                        91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I feel the seller's pain (well, not $100k bid pains) with my Integra Type R I've been trying to sell for a few months.

My car has 60k miles, I'm the second owner with all records and an open line of communication to the original owner, it's all-original and hasn't been tracked or stolen. For Type Rs in the US, this is the beginning of a recipe for a $30k+ car (referencing recent sales on BringATrailer). Unfortunately, the last owner neglected to disclose when I was buying the car that he had slid off the road into a ditch, damaged the rear quarter area, and had it repaired off-the-record by a buddy who had apparently never used a paint gun before. VIN and stickers in the door jamb were lost. Now this M3 seller and I are in the same scenario of a car that gets most of its value from its collector-ish features (low miles, originality) but with a flaw (damage, non-matching panels) that's a non-starter for a collector.

If you're wondering how I got into this situation with my Integra. Well... let's say I learned a few lessons, namely

1. The only thing worse than no PPI is a useless PPI (been through that twice now)
                          2. Clean Carfax and title do not mean it hasn't been damaged
                          3. Don't trust the seller (or the more optimistic phrasing, "trust, but verify")
                          4. Don't inspect a car in the rain or in the dark

and maybe the hardest one for people like us:
                          5. Don't fall in love with the car / the idea of the car

It's not all bad, though. I didn't pay a collector price for the car and I should be able to break even, but it's well below what those other cars are trading for. I cringe at the paint every time I wash it, but the more I drive it, the harder it is to commit to letting it go...

Sorry, went off on a tangent there. Maybe someone else can share their regrettable purchase story and make me feel a little better!
                          1988 Lachs - sold
                          1988 DS - sold
                          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

#4 struck a chord with me because I was so close to my grandfather and he used to have all kinds of one liners that he'd randomly throw out there and "never buy a car on a rainy day" was one of them.

I know that I am not alone in "hating" that the prices/values of these cars has gone up so markedly. I planned to buy at least one more if not two but it's far more likely to NOT happen now that the values have increased so much.

Comment

Working...
                            X