• 1988 BMW M3 - DS/black, 139k miles

For sale: 1988 BMW M3
    Mileage: 139,700
    Price: $34,000
    VIN: WBSAK0307J2195913

Photo album: link
    Progress thread: link
    Ownership/maintenance log: link

Iíve owned this car since February of 2015. It is a largely stock and original M3, with a small handful of reversible modifications. This has been a driving project, and my introduction to E30s. Iím selling because my fleet has grown too large and I cannot keep up with the needs of all of my cars. The M3 needs a new owner who can continue the refurb work, while also driving and enjoying the car.

Drivetrain: the S14 motor is stock, 2.3L, with no signs or record of having been rebuilt or overhauled. It runs well and passes California SMOG without issues. Two years ago I measured the compression at 255/240/240/247. These numbers are too high, so I think there was some user error on my part, but they were within about 6% of one another. There is no VIN sticker present on the cam box of the motor. The water pump was replaced in June of 2017. The transmission was replaced with a used unit in November of 2017, as the original would pop out of third gear under hard braking. The clutch is new, with a Sachs performance pressure plate. The OE flywheel has been lightened to mimic the weight and design of the Evo flywheel. All clutch hydraulics are new. Shift linkage has been rebuilt with OE parts. Motor and transmission mounts were replaced in my ownership with new OE rubber items. The intake system was thoroughly refurbished - all rubber gaskets and O-rings were replaced, and the fuel injectors cleaned and flow tested. There is a Turner baffle in the oil pan. The muffler is an Eisenmann unit with DTM style tips, by the sound I would guess itís a sport unit. It has a good sporty rumble without being overbearing or droning.

Body: the body is driver-quality, good from 10 feet. The very good news is that VIN stickers are present on all visible panels. (Canít see stickers on front and rear fascia while installed) It is apparent that the car had bodywork performed when these M3s were at the low end of the value curve - there are different shades of Diamondschwartz on different parts of the car, and the clear coat is thick. There are many rock chips on the front fascia, and scuffs and light scratches on various panels. The paint on the wing is cracked, with another layer of Diamondschwartz below it. Please review the photos, Iíve tried to capture the condition. There is a softball-sized area of rust on the passenger side of the firewall. The front headlights are Euro ellipsoids, the high beams have a yellow film that can be removed. Euro grilles are installed. Seals are starting to show their age in some places with small tears. The sunroof functions, but there is wind noise from the seal at highway speeds when it is closed.

Suspension: the car rides on a Ground Control coilover conversion with hybrid camber plates. I worked with GC to specify a kit that did not modify the factory strut housings. The system provides a good balance of ride quality and performance on the street. In my time with the car, I have overhauled just about every single piece of rubber in the suspension, from front to back, with OE rubber components. Please review the build thread and maintenance tracker for an exhaustive list. There are Rogue engineering reinforcements on the rear strut top mounts. The car will come on the OE wheels on older Kumho tires.

Brakes: stock brake hardware, with braided brake lines and speed bleeders. The current pads are Cool Carbon over Zimmerman discs, with new wear sensors. ABS has not worked during my time with the car.

Interior: the car has black leather interior, and the seats have been refurbished beautifully. I receive compliments all the time. The dash has no cracks and is original to the car, with the VIN tag riveted in place. There is some stubborn residue on the dash near the air vents, as if someone taped across the vents and the tape was left for a long time. The instruments, speedometer, and odometer work normally. The radio is the original Alpine CM5907 with the external fader, it is fully functional. There was an audio system in the car at some point so, to my understanding, only the front lower speakers are functional currently. The shift knob is a new original piece, behind it is a cassette storage center console. One of the cassette slots has a broken tab and is stuck in the deployed position. The rear seats, rear side panels, and parcel shelf are all in excellent condition.

12v / electrical: some systems are not currently functional and I hate electrons so I have not attempted to dive in and resolve them. The central locking system gave up the ghost shortly after I purchased the car, so the key is required to physically unlock each door/trunk. The brake light check light comes on when I use the left turn signal, I donít know why, all turn signal bulbs work fine. The A/C system did not work for me until I had the car serviced and the system recharged. I enjoyed it a few times until a seal somewhere in the system, having gone unused for some years, blew and ended my A/C experience. I did not investigate the system to find the seal. The heater fan works, but the air is not hot. The door chime is non-functional. The ďbrake liningĒ indicator flickers in the gauge cluster, I believe this cluster might need to be refurbished and the solder joints re-flowed like most of these cars.

Other: the car comes with some nice original components including the manual, supplementary M3 manual, service booklet, and spark plug tool. There are two keys, and youíll get my big binder of hard receipts. The spare even wears its original tireÖ which I do not recommend that you use. Title in hand and ready for immediate sale. Please note that the license plate will not come with the car.

I think I have covered everything - please review the links provided at the top of the listing, as Iíve chronicled work through the years and you will learn a great deal particularly in my build/progress thread. Contact me with additional questions. The car is a solid foundation on which to build with a lot of maintenance and refurb items already addressed. The asking price is $34,000 or best offer. Cheers.

1989 Lachs
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Car blog
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Good luck with the sale. Hopefully you're not leaving the community. You have been a huge help to me bringing mine back to life.

Comment

• Konig
      Konig commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll stick around! Got another one.

I do wish you were on the east coast not the west! Would love to have another. Good luck on the sale.

Comment

Not only has Pall been an asset to the E30 M3/S14 community, but he is a true car enthusiast who takes great care of his cars and others (Thanks Pall with your help on mine!).

He is a standout, trustworthy guy and you can be assured that this car is well represented and went through a lot of care and thorough inspection during his ownership.

Great drivers car right here!

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
      97 Porsche Carrera S
      13 Audi S6
      SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
      GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Putting the money into that m3 you saved?

Comment

• Konig
          Konig commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure I'll find somewhere to put it! It's not just the money, it's the time and the headspace. Five cars is too many cars for one person, at least one person without a barn. 5 insurance payments, 5 reg payments every year, 5 times the maintenance. Get in one and I can't remember the last time I checked the oil or tire pressures. I'd love to own a fleet of cars for every occasion but, for me right now, it's too much. I haven't decided whether I will keep the Lachs car or let it go and consolidate further.

• alpinerob
          alpinerob commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear you there. I have a 1 fun car limit and a DD. No need to have 2-3 cars like these that need so much attention.

Note: sale album has been updated with photos of the underside. These photos are from January of 2016, when I did the big underside refurb.
        1989 Lachs
        1988 Lachs - sold
        1988 DS - sold
        Car blog
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Good luck with your sale although one can never have too many cars.

Comment

Hi Konig - you have a private message.

Comment

Seems like an honest car, from an honest seller. GLWS

Comment

Sad to see this car go- your build thread is a treat to scroll through. Very well priced, too. IMO maybe a touch on the low side actually. GLWS!

Comment

Deposit has been received on the car. Thanks all for interest and words of support!
                  1989 Lachs
                  1988 Lachs - sold
                  1988 DS - sold
                  Car blog
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Please PM me if the sale doesn't go through. I'm very interested!

Comment

The car is sold - thank you to the community for the interest and support. I still have my Lachs car, so I'm not going anywhere just yet!
                      1989 Lachs
                      1988 Lachs - sold
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Car blog
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

So sad I missed this opportunity. Let me know if the new owner has buyers remorse!

Comment

Clean one! Looking for something similar.

Comment

Working...
                          X