X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: 1988 BMW M3, DS/Cardinal 71k miles

Hi everyone!

I have made the difficult decision to sell one of my M3s. I originally bought this car in the late summer of 2011, shortly after Labor Day weekend when Tropical Storm Lee affected the area. I had no intentions of buying another E30 M3, as I already had a 190e 16v Cosworth Euro and an AW E30 M3 I'd purchased the year prior. This one came up for sale in Louisiana, and it was too close to not take a look. Long story short, I ended up buying the car and made every attempt to restore the car (with an open checkbook) to its original glory. I'd intended to keep it for many years to come, but I've since gotten married and started a family....so priorities have changed. I'd always said I wanted at least 2 of these at a time.

WHAT IS IT?

1988 BMW M3 Diamantschwartz with Cardinal Red interior and Anthracite carpet. Has a 4/87 build date.

VIN: WBSAK0304J2195366

I'm the 3rd owner. The car has always been in the South. Originally a Louisiana car, it has spent time there (1988 to 2011) as well as the Alabama Gulf Coast (Daphne AL for 5 years) and now Southwest Florida (3 years). It is currently registered in Arkansas, where I grew up and my parents currently reside. They have a lifetime registration for antique vehicles, and I chose to take advantage of that convenience by registering it there. It has never seen snow or ice and has not been a victim of flooding due to the countless hurricanes and tropical storms it has seen in its lifetime on the Gulf Coast. I am a meteorologist. One of my specialties is forensic meteorology where I reconstruct past weather events using various meteorological data. I did extensive research on this before I bought the car to ensure it was never exposed to a flood threat.

THE STORY BEHIND THE CAR:

Was a two owner car when I purchased it. Owned by a Venezuelan family that lived in Baton Rouge LA. I purchased the car from the widow of the owner, who died a few months prior. He'd seen the car in New Orleans and made the decision to purchase it in 1989. He drove the car sparingly from 1989 to the mid-90s and then decided to disconnect the fuel lines and leave the car parked under a carport with a cover for over a decade. He worked for Dow Chemical, and after a few years became ill and suddenly passed away in 2011. That's when his wife began selling all of his assets, including a very nice slant-nose Porsche 911. The car is completely original. The only mods were a Dinan chip, a BMP front strut bar, a cheap cat back center section with single pipe exhaust and a cone filter in place of the MAF. It even still had the original Pirelli P600 spare tire which was dry rotted.

After purchasing the car, I sent it to German Car Repair in Roswell GA (I didn't trust anyone in my area to work on the car) with an open checkbook to examine and repair anything an everything that was wrong with the car. This included belts, hoses, and all fluids. I had the engine torn apart inspected to ensure there was no damage and to verify that the car indeed had 41000 mi. The head was resurfaced and pressure tested. In all, everything checked out.

After over $10,000 in repairs, I had the car sent to Cherokee Collision Center in Alpharetta GA to have the car completely repainted. The paint was in terrible shape from being out in the elements for so many years and needed a glass-out repaint. The front and rear windscreens were replaced as well as all rubber seals and gaskets. A new rear spoiler and front bumper were fitted as they claimed they had difficulty painting the original parts. I still have both of them in my garage. There were a couple of minor dings, one on the hood and a couple on the drivers' door, but nothing significant. All of the body panels are original, and before I had the paintwork done, I made sure that I took pictures of every single body panel to ensure originality in case they had to remove the VIN stickers to do a proper repaint. Gene Sweeny, the owner of the body shop, called me during the process and told me that in order for the paint job to look good, they had to repaint the door jams and other areas that required the removal of the original VIN stickers. The paint was so faded that it simply wouldn't have looked right if I'd gone that route. After much discussion he let me know that he could get replacement VIN tags that looked identical to the originals. I cannot remember where he said he got them, but he ensured me that it wouldn't affect the future value of the car. The final result came out fantastic, and I felt confident it wouldn't be an issue if I had to sell in the future as I'd taken pictures of the original panels with the original VIN tags. The bottom line here is....no funny business...the panels are all original to the car, just repainted to look better.

The car recently received a new steering rack as the old one was leaking. New BMW blower motor was installed last year as the old one was making that awful squealing noise. Earlier this year, I installed nearly new Yokohama S drives all around. Everything is functional on the car, including the AC, although it could stand to be a bit colder than it is. I recommend the new owner fit a parallel flow condenser, which made a huge difference when I installed it on my AW car. It has been converted to R134.

The only modifications to the car are:

14" Spal high output pusher fan (replaced stock aux fan that died)
    Iigomotive SP93 ECU Chip
    Bilstein Sports with H&R Race Springs
    VSR Center Section with Stromung Exhaust
    Ireland Engineering black front strut bar
    CM5908 radio from a later model E30 (doesn't work well and likely needs capacitors replaced...cassette player is functional)

I barely drive it. It stays covered in my garage with a battery tender 98% of the time. I only take it out for drives every once in a while to stretch its legs from time to time or when my AW (my daily driver requires repair). The paint has a couple of rock chips but nothing major. It still looks as good as the day I picked it up from the body shop. There are no scuffs on the front bumper and there is ZERO body rust. I have all records of all repairs and oil changes since I've owned it. I also have a printout of the BMW service done through the mid-90s including the heater core hose recall.

Asking price is XXXXXX

Contact me anytime with questions or concerns. I really want to keep this car in the S14.net community, as I know it will go to a fellow enthusiast and will be taken care of as well as I have the last 7 years.

Pictures shortly after I picked it up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6132772379/

Pictures now:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f1K3YLwQgNXvzWs99
    1987 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16 Euro
    1988 BMW M3 (Diamantschwarz) 4/87 build
    1988 BMW M3 (Alpineweiss I) 12/87 build
    1995 BMW M3 (Dakar Yellow I) SOLD
    2001 BMW M5 (Titanium Silver)
    2003 BMW M3 (Titanium Silver)

Good luck with the sale.

Comment

Cardinal is sooo cool. Love it. GLWS. Very interesting back story on the car. Looks like a good one. I'm looking to explore trades for mine and will be posting link shortly to local CL listing.
    Sports Cars and Collector Cars

Comment

• TornadoWarning
      TornadoWarning commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I've always found the Cardinal interior very interesting.

I forgot to mention......if anyone wants to contact me discuss the car my email is: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Comment

Funny enough i actually remember this car , Wael at German Car Repair worked on it . I even contacted the same body for a quote on a paint job . Small world ....

Comment

• TornadoWarning
        TornadoWarning commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. They did good work. They have a great crew over there at GCR.

Cherokee Collision did an outstanding job with the paint. It was between them and Magnum and I ended up going with CC.

I considered magnum as well but ended up going with Waels friend who painted up at kinetic motorsports .

Comment

Will entertain all offers before I go a different route (Ebay, BAT or consignment).

Will also be measuring compression numbers soon and will post the results soon after.

Comment

Compression test completed with photos posted in Google album link in original post.

Comment

If you can only wait 4 month. I have two cars to pay off. Donít want the wife to get mad at me for having 4 car payments. Man and his compassion with cars; specifically Old school BMW.

Comment

Price lowered to $XXXXXXXX OBO. Just took it out for a spin this past Sunday for around 60 mi round trip and it drove beautifully.

Comment

Mods please close this thread. The car is being listed on BAT shortly.

Comment

Working...
                X