1988 M3 on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 M3 on eBay

Not mine and no affiliation. Just thought I'd pass along the info in case anyone needs a project.

1988 BMW M3 | eBay
    1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

there is a lengthy discussion about it on r3v in the "General Discussion" forum. i really wanted to pick it up (prior to him posting it on eBay), but the seller decided he would try to maximize his profit (which i totally understand).

i always wanted a Hennarot and would have loved to make it a fun driver, but cannot justify paying that much for such a rough car. hope someone does right by the old girl.

A
    Portland, Oregon
    '88 M5 | '88 330is | '89 M3

Comment

Oh dear, that poor car. What a life it has had. I cant imagine ever treating a car that badly.
      Th ownership chain prior to this guy selling should never be allowed to own cars again.

I read the thread on R3V that he linked to, I wanted to cry.
      I know these cars were considered just disposable playthings back then but fuck me. I wouldnt treat a Corrolla like that car was treated.

This poor thing needs to get stripped to the shell, media blasted and start from scratch. That frame "repair" WTF.
      When he bought it a $5600 that was the time to do it right, get it down to the shel and really fix it.
      Now someone is going to buy a completely fucked shell and a handful of parts for over $20K.
      What a mess.
      Going into the garage to hug all my cars.
      Reading that R3V thread and his Ebay ad was like watching one of the Sarah Mclaghlin SPCA commercials.
      Last edited by jimmy p.; 04-06-2021, 07:57 AM.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

“I did not make a comprehensive list or anything, that’s not my style....”

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
          Oh dear, that poor car. What a life it has had. I cant imagine ever treating a car that badly.
          Th ownership chain prior to this guy selling should never be allowed to own cars again.

I read the thread on R3V that he linked to, I wanted to cry.
          I know these cars were considered just disposable playthings back then but fuck me. I wouldnt treat a Corrolla like that car was treated.

This poor thing needs to get stripped to the shell, media blasted and start from scratch. That frame "repair" WTF.
          When he bought it a $5600 that was the time to do it right, get it down to the shel and really fix it.
          Now someone is going to buy a completely fucked shell and a handful of parts for over $20K.
          What a mess.
          Going into the garage to hug all my cars.
          Reading that R3V thread and his Ebay ad was like watching one of the Sarah Mclaghlin SPCA commercials.
          I treated my former Kia Rio daily driver nicer than that car got treated...yeah...

also, mark my words, someone will probably pay close to $30k for this thing
          Portland, Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post

I treated my former Kia Rio daily driver nicer than that car got treated...yeah...

also, mark my words, someone will probably pay close to $30k for this thing
            See thats what doesnt make any sense to me, after any level of resto is done even remotely right the owner will be in it for $100K and its not a $100k car.
            If you intend to turn it into a track car there are WAY better platforms to start with way cheaper than its current price.
            I just dont see any path for this car even at its present price that makes the smallest amount of sense paying that much at the buy in, because when its all done its still fucked.
            The word upside down doesnt begin to describe it.
            It will always be that way fucked up car from the R3V thread.
            jimmy p.
            04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

See thats what doesnt make any sense to me, after any level of resto is done even remotely right the owner will be in it for $100K and its not a $100k car.
              If you intend to turn it into a track car there are WAY better platforms to start with way cheaper than its current price.
              I just dont see any path for this car even at its present price that makes the smallest amount of sense paying that much at the buy in, because when its all done its still fucked.
              The word upside down doesnt begin to describe it.
              It will always be that way fucked up car from the R3V thread.
              precisely. at the end of the day, it's a beat to hell, salvage title, half of an e30m3. it's $100k away from being a $50k car.

i really wanted to buy an e30m3 roller and build my own, but with what shells sell for now, it didn't even remotely make sense to not buy anything other than a complete, driver quality, driving e30m3 - so that's what i did.
              Portland, Oregon

Comment

you guys sound like car guys are logical. We aren't. We do stupid things for stupid reasons that make zero financial sense. It's all about the passion. Live once, live with passion.

E30M3 is a Legend

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                  precisely. at the end of the day, it's a beat to hell, salvage title, half of an e30m3. it's $100k away from being a $50k car.
                  This needed to be quoted LOL. Flawless.

Originally posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
                  you guys sound like car guys are logical. We aren't. We do stupid things for stupid reasons that make zero financial sense. It's all about the passion. Live once, live with passion.
                  Mike there is logical, there is passionate and then just stupid.
                  I would honestly bet folding money no one has more passion for these cars than I do, but I also have at least two firing brain cells left. Might just be two but at least there are two.

​​​​​​​If someone like Max got hold of this wreck, and did something like his blue swap car, someone with the knowledge and the chops to do all the mountains and mountains of labor himself and the connections to score the right parts making it into a restomod type thing maybe it comes out OK at the end, but man its starting at the bottom of a steep hill (and no one wants to see E30M3 shells crushed less than I do).
                  Last edited by jimmy p.; 04-07-2021, 02:22 PM.
                  jimmy p.
                  04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

A buddy brought up a good point. Theres a market to "singer" these cars. At that point someone just needs a VIN. Whether it costs 10k or 30k to get that, SOMEONE can make it work. Also, maybe someone with the passion to make sure these don't end up in the crusher has some money to burn. Either way, I'd be happy to see it get enjoyed, although I'm sad to see negligent people cash in for doing nothing.

Comment

price lol... just like stonks, low supply high demand. We control the Price of our beater. Then again had too many beers. DIAMOND HAND GUYS.. NEVER SELL!

Comment

It's the same thing as late 60's muscle cars....people in the 45-60 range with disposable cash wanting a dream car from their youth. That is why imo.
                        Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

listing ends soon. already at 30k.
                          Portland, Oregon

Comment

I don't believe this isn't all shill bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Westopher View Post
                              I don't believe this isn't all shill bidding.
                              hard to say, but honestly, nothing surprises me anymore.
                              Portland, Oregon

Comment

Working...
                              X