4,000 mile M3 for sale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mystang97 View Post
    So this car is a legit stock example? I dont know what the aformentioned "bubble car" is?
    Supposedly. The car was for sale a number of years ago (has to be at least 6 years now) by a "lady" in Wyoming that had it stored in a "barn" and had people write a letter as to why they should be able to buy the car. I think the asking price was mid-30s IIRC. Hadn't heard if it sold of not until these posts come up that it is for sale. The reports are it is the same car, but I haven't heard 100% confirmation.

The Bubble car was a 12k mile car completely taken apart and cleaned by a number of S14 SIG members and then the car was put in a garage and stored in a bubble. A guy on here convinced his girlfriend's father to buy the car. He/they decided after purchase to rip out the motor and put in a 2.5 and track it. They sold it within 6 months IIRC. Not sure where the car ended up. Search "bubble car" on here and you can read it as it happened.

Comment

wow...thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
        Supposedly. The car was for sale a number of years ago (has to be at least 6 years now) by a "lady" in Wyoming that had it stored in a "barn" and had people write a letter as to why they should be able to buy the car. I think the asking price was mid-30s IIRC. Hadn't heard if it sold of not until these posts come up that it is for sale. The reports are it is the same car, but I haven't heard 100% confirmation.

The Bubble car was a 12k mile car completely taken apart and cleaned by a number of S14 SIG members and then the car was put in a garage and stored in a bubble. A guy on here convinced his girlfriend's father to buy the car. He/they decided after purchase to rip out the motor and put in a 2.5 and track it. They sold it within 6 months IIRC. Not sure where the car ended up. Search "bubble car" on here and you can read it as it happened.
        The car in this thread is the Wyoming Bubble car but it was not taken apart or tracked. The car your talking about is another car and was a super low mileage car that as the story goes was taken apart and tracked.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lockolose View Post
          The car in this thread is the Wyoming Bubble car but it was not taken apart or tracked. The car your talking about is another car and was a super low mileage car that as the story goes was taken apart and tracked.
          Isn't that what I said? But the bubble car had more miles than this car (12k vs 4k).

Comment

M

I thought you had the two confused, my mistake.
            The only reason i know this is the Wyoming Bubble car for sure is that this car has all supporting documentation, including original bill of sale and window sticker. This is a true one of a kind find for a true collecter.
            sigpic

Comment

I guess when I hear "bubble" I think of Bossert's car (the 12k mile one). Never hear the Wyoming one ever referred to as a bubble car.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                I guess when I hear "bubble" I think of Bossert's car (the 12k mile one). Never hear the Wyoming one ever referred to as a bubble car.
                The "Bubble car" was definitely Bossert's Car.

This Wyoming car was referred to as the "Wyoming Barn Car" from what I recall from the old days on Roadfly. (I believe it is only Mike "Lockolose" that is stating this car was also stored in a "bubble" during the course of its life.)

In any case, I'm sure this car is / should be clean as the "Bubble" car - it's only got 4K miles on it.
                1989 E30 M3 Cabrio - Nogaro Sliver / Black - 1 of 786
                1990 E30 M3 - Sterling Silver / Black
                1991 E30 318is - Sterling / Black (Mtech II project)

Comment

Will be interesting to see if someone can actually shell the cash for it specially in these harsh economic times. Hopes it goes to a good home unlike Gary's car.

Comment

Currently in Autoweek classifieds for $55K BO

81 Ur Quattro
                    87 911 M491 Cab
                    89 M3
                    89 944 T

What can I say,
                    I love wide fenders!

Comment

Originally posted by L James View Post
                      In any case, I'm sure this car is / should be clean as the "Bubble" car - it's only got 4K miles on it.
                      Not necessarily
                      This car probably (and I'm only assuming here) still has cosmoline and/or dust and stuff... just low low miles...
                      The bubble car was an already pristine car that was partially disassembled and cleaned well beyond how clean it was when it was delivered from the factory. It was really quite amazing.

BTW, is there any chance at all that this is the "bubble car"http://www.rpmsportscars.com/door36.htm?

It's certainly not a J Prepared car, that's for sure....

Yeah, I know.... It has too many cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by mtrsprt View Post
                        Not necessarily
                        This car probably (and I'm only assuming here) still has cosmoline and/or dust and stuff... just low low miles...
                        The bubble car was an already pristine car that was partially disassembled and cleaned well beyond how clean it was when it was delivered from the factory. It was really quite amazing.

I agree, that bubble car was simply incredible, probably would be considered over restored in some collectors circles. If that car is anything like mine, and it looks like it is, then yes it's going to be dusty a little greasy and still have some cosmoline. The bubble car puts may car to shame, and while my car may be extremely clean and has never seen the rain it is no bubble car.

Ken

Comment

Bubble car vs Wyoming Car

Just to help clarify things a bit...indeed Gary's car is/was the bubble car. I own the 4.7K mile car which looks to be the Wyoming barn car by its documentation. This Wyoming barn car now sits in a bubble in my garage, and as other have contemplated, it is no where near as clean as Gary's old car. I can say this with no hesitation b/c I spent a bit of time helping in the effort to prep Gary's car for its first concours at Ofest in Spartanburg. The Wyoming car is just a low mileage original car that comes complete with "imperfections" as per the factory including cosmoline, slightly dull aluminum bits under the hood, and even a paint chip or two.
                          That said, to me, the aura of the bubble car is long gone since the next owner modded and tracked it, and in doing so made it into a nice low mileage personalized car (I'm not knocking this, just stating what happened). From what I now understand, an enthusiast in SCal now owns the ex-Bubble-car and takes meticulous care of it as it approaches(?) about 20Kmiles.
                          MJ

Comment

So, unless there are 2 4,700 mile M3s out there, you are currently the seller with the ad in Autoweek?

81 Ur Quattro
                            87 911 M491 Cab
                            89 M3
                            89 944 T

What can I say,
                            I love wide fenders!

Comment

Working...
                            X