FS: 1989 white m3 71k Near perfect w/mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M3 Mitch View Post
    Make sure the engine is warmed up, take all 4 plugs out, make sure the battery is well-charged so it cranks at the full speed, make sure you fully open the throttle while doing the test, best to pull the fuel pump relay so you don't flood it.
    Great advice. Also, make sure the comp test is done "wet", i.e. with a bit (just a few drops) of oil poured into the cylinder. This will also greatly affect compression, especially on cars that aren't driven that much. Most Ferrari guys know this trick, and from what I hear it makes a big difference, particularly if the car has been sitting in a shop for a few days. Cheers, and damn this economy, your car should have sold for the asking price a long time ago. GL with the sale.

Comment

While you are at it (the old while you're in there.....) you should have a leakdown test done as well.

I am very interested in your car but the low comp. numbers are a concern eventhough they are all even.
      sigpic

Keeper of the Car

Comment

I just re-did the test on a relatively warm engine and the numbers were , 181, 181, 182, 183. From what some of you say, those might be a little low but I can assure you that the motor runs strong and tight, just like new.

Comment

mine are in the 200's also i think

Comment

Originally posted by evo1313 View Post
            I just re-did the test on a relatively warm engine and the numbers were , 181, 181, 182, 183. From what some of you say, those might be a little low but I can assure you that the motor runs strong and tight, just like new.
            What is your elevation? This will affect things as well. How long is the tubing between the cylinder and the pressure gauge? Something else to consider.

If you're getting the impression that compression checks are hard to quantify, you're on the right track. If you are serious about selling the car and want people to know, without a doubt, that your engine is strong, then get a leakdown test. This test is similar but the shop will supply compressed air at a known pressure -- and it's this controlled environment that removes so much of the uncertainty. It might cost you $75, but it will ward off lowballers who ask for $5k off your price due to a tired engine.

BTW, your numbers look decent. It's rather unlikely that a tired engine would have such consistent numbers.
            Last edited by Thor; 10-31-2008, 03:19 AM.
            1987 Euro M3, Jet Black
            "BMW M cars: technically advanced, beautifully engineered, and the choice for total gits" -- Top Gear, Summer 2008

Comment

My elevation is about 4400 ft. the tube length used was about 19-20 inches long. I was trying to get this done before the auction ended so it might put aside any ones doubts. If it doesnt sell during the auction, I will take it to the BMW dealership and have a leakdown done.
              Thanks for the help and info.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

next Bid Meets Reserve! this Car Will Sell!
              Last edited by evo1313; 10-31-2008, 10:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by evo1313 View Post
                My elevation is about 4400 ft. the tube length used was about 19-20 inches long. I was trying to get this done before the auction ended so it might put aside any ones doubts. If it doesnt sell during the auction, I will take it to the BMW dealership and have a leakdown done.
                Thanks for the help and info.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

next Bid Meets Reserve! this Car Will Sell!
                4400 feet is damn high, a leakdown test is very necessary. I'm pretty sure your engine is on-spec, you probably just have some funky readings.

Comment

new price

I sent out a couple second chance offers to some bidders, I wanted to offer it to you guys also.

$22,500

To the first one with the cash.
                  This should go quick at that price.

Any questions, let me know.
                  Travis
                  801-634-0273

Comment

Working...
                  X