Importing an M3 from Canada to USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing an M3 from Canada to USA

I understand that if the car is newer than 25 years old and the VIN doesn't start with a number "1", you need to obtain a Letter from BMW certifying that the car is US EPA Emissions compatible. Then, there's the usual Customs Form, Registration Transfer, Bill of Sale, etc. paperwork to go through.

Anyone go through this recently that can shed some light on how easy or difficult it is?

Thanks,

John

Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post
    I understand that if the car is newer than 25 years old and the VIN doesn't start with a number "1", you need to obtain a Letter from BMW certifying that the car is US EPA Emissions compatible. Then, there's the usual Customs Form, Registration Transfer, Bill of Sale, etc. paperwork to go through.

Anyone go through this recently that can shed some light on how easy or difficult it is?

Thanks,

John

You are correct very easy I hired a broker . It cost me 1300.00 to do it . based on a 20k price .

Comment

You might want to check with you state's BMV/DMV as I believe each state is slightly different.
      Specializing in late model M-Cars
      Visit us at: www.EnthusiastAuto.com

Comment

John;

Depends: The steps you describe cover off importing a Canadian spec car into the US. Theres a good number of US cars in Canada too. Importing those into the US is a breeze. Is the car you are looking at US or Canadian spec?
        91 E30 M3 DiamondS
        73 2002 Agave
        06 325Ci M Tech JetBlack

Comment

Originally posted by Roundlite_Jonny View Post
          John;

Depends: The steps you describe cover off importing a Canadian spec car into the US. Theres a good number of US cars in Canada too. Importing those into the US is a breeze. Is the car you are looking at US or Canadian spec?
          Just be sure that the car is either originally Canadian or US origin in terms of initial buyer / delivery.

Note that there are many Euro spec cars in Canada as their importation limitation / exemption is a 15 year old car or older ... not a 25 year old car or older like in the US.

A Euro spec E30 will not make it into the US under any circumstances unless it is Federalized ... which effectively emasculates the car at great cost to you.

Mr. Hayes
          sigpic

Comment

I was looking for more information on this topic recently, and found the following site (an importer agency I believe). They have some good information.
            http://www.willz.ca/importcanadatousa.htm

Specifically, I was wondering how much I would have to pay to import a US-spec car *back* into the US. They note the following:

What is the federal US Treasury duty rate on importing BMW's?
            BMW's are charged at a duty rate of about 2.5% of the stated value of the car. More precisely, the first $1000 US is taxed at 4%, while the remaining balance is taxed at 2.5%. So, a BMW costing $30,000 US would be charged a $765 US duty fee to import.

Comment

Working...
            X