WTT: 1987 Porsche 944 turbo w/CA smog legal LS1 swap 4 E30 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTT: 1987 Porsche 944 turbo w/CA smog legal LS1 swap 4 E30 M3

This is one of just a few CA legal LS1 swapped 944s. It's a 1987 turbo chassis with 117k miles. The engine is an 02' that was pulled from an SS Camaro with 26k on the clock. The paint has a few chips, mostly on the front bumper cover. The interior is in fair condition with the usual cracks in the dash. All factory gauges are functional as well as the power steering. The A/C and heater have been plumbed but the controls are not hooked up yet. I've been driving it almost daily for the past year, I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere.

I'm simply getting bored with it and want to get something different. I have about 18k invested so far. It has the following aftermarket equipment:

-Renegade Hybrids LS1 Kit
    -Lightweight aluminum flywheel
    -SPEC kevlar clutch & HD pressure plate
    -Ron Davis Racing aluminum radiator
    -Ceramic coated exhaust manifolds
    -K&N CAI
    -Lightweight crank pulley
    -LS6 cam & springs
    -Basic ECU tune, made 333whp
    -Quaife differential
    -OEM turbo twist 18" rims
    -Braille battery with custom aluminum mount

Last edited by ls1944; 07-13-2009, 10:38 AM.

Are you sure the E30 M3 is what you are looking for? You obviously did a swap to
    gain some power and a whole lot of torque down low. None of which that applies to
    the E30 M3 and the S14 motor. You may be happier acquiring a E30 325i and doing
    a swap. Would cost a whole less as well.

Comment

I know the E30 M3 is not a very fast car by todays standards but I have always loved them. My 944 hauls ass but I want to get into something that will hold its value and get me into less trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by ls1944 View Post
        I know the E30 M3 is not a very fast car by todays standards but I have always loved them. My 944 hauls ass but I want to get into something that will hold its value and get me into less trouble.
        Financially or law wise? Cause it will get you in trouble just as fast. Value will hold, but
        you're still paying a good amount to get into one.

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
          Financially or law wise? Cause it will get you in trouble just as fast. Value will hold, but
          you're still paying a good amount to get into one.
          Law wise, I guess your right though. It depends on the driver more than the car.

There are a few other cars I'm considering but I really would like to get an M3. I figure maybe there's an M3 owner out there that's craving a fast, reliable car that still has that german feel and old school 80's style. I've noticed that most E30 M3 guys also like 944's. I'll post somemore pics soon.

Thanks,
          Craig
          Last edited by ls1944; 07-13-2009, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Fantastic car, Craig. But I'd see you regretting this decision....That's quite the downgrade of power. I've also had a white (pearl) 951 with black wheels, always been a fan.
            -Derek

Comment

You guys are really making me second guess myself now. Actually, this is very refreshing....I appreciate your input. It has been a while since I've actually been in an early M3. I should probably go for are ride in one again.

Just so you guys know what sort of car nut your dealing with here. I once bought a 1993 Lotus Esprit Turbo without even seeing it in person, I had only ever drivin 2 before and they were both earlier models. I also bought an Evo 8 from the dealer without even test driving it first. Of course both of those cars were relativly fast. Hmm....maybe I will regret this decision?

At any rate, check out this link to my gallery for a few more pics I took today. You'll notice it actually has 119k on it. I didn't realize how much I've been driving it lately. Also I have a replacement panel for the drivers side lower seat cushion but it's vinyl not leather.

http://www.hybrid9s.com/album.php?albumid=1

Craig
              Last edited by ls1944; 07-14-2009, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Craig, you should really get yourself into another E30 M3 for a test drive. You will
                regret selling the 951, and to get anywhere close to the power of the Porsche you
                will more than likely need to do a motor swap or do a turbo setup. Do your homework
                cause there have been several people who have come onto this forum looking for
                E30 M3s and regret the purchase after finding the lack of power.

Comment

I'm starting to think you may be right...all of my friends are saying the same thing. I'm going to see if I can find a local one to check out.

I'm also looking at some swapped 240z cars. Or maybe a Grand National. I don't know. I'm a bit of a car whore. I've owned a bit of everything...Porsches, Ferrari 308, Lotus, Evo, Camaros and really most anything from the 80's that came with a turbo. Problem is I don't make enough money to keep them all! I always have to sell to move on to my next fix.
                  Last edited by ls1944; 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

i came from a b5 s4, with about 340 hp, not a crazy amount of power or anything, but it was still plenty fast, more than i would ever really need.
                    i bought a 2.5 and though its a bit more power over stock, it was still a huge downgrade in acceleration from the s4, especially at the elevation im at, the m3 really isnt that fast. but even then, the feeling you get while accelerating with the m3, is way more exciting than with the s4. and then everything else about the car is so much better. even reliability! so far at least.
                    if i were you, id do it, it seems like you might go through alot of cars, so if you dont like it for some reason, then get something else.

Comment

dude that is one badass car, I'm in no way a fan of american cars/ engines but I love the look of 944's. I bet that things hauls
                      @slowprogress

Comment

Thanks, yeah it moves pretty good. It's a lot of fun but I'm ready to move on now. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I'm not sure an M3 would be that good of an idea now either. I really love turbo cars and I think that is what I'm missing in my 944.

Comment

You could always sell your LS1 swap and all to a 951 guy, then build a big displacement 951 engine (although I would call you crazy for that, lol). At the same time, it seems you don't hold onto things long, so buying an e30 M3 would only last so long. Might as well not test drive one and buy it, ha. Keep with your habits.
                          -Derek

Comment

I've already owned a built 951. I'm looking at a 911 RS replica project with a turbo subie swap. It's quite a project but I'm very tempted. I think I have a mental problem.

Comment

Funny, guess the pics you saw of my Z with the M in the background got the bug going!!

Comment

Working...
                              X