1988 m3 in Texas $9,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 m3 in Texas $9,000

The motor and trans are in the car, all the parts are there to make run minus a chip and on pink top injector. Car has a rebuild title, .BUT its wierd, because carfax never reports any wrecks, or anything, and all the vin tags are matching and on the car. ie, fenders hood, trunk, doors bumpers and what not. As of now its registered in texas.. That is why i chose to swap that car, because it was no show piece.
    the body over all is pretty clean, no rust, no majors dents, just a little faded paint from the sun.. typical red bmws.
    front seats have the normal wear and tear, but the back is in pretty good shape. carpet could use replacing. it has new arm rests/door pulls with it, and the door and rear cards are pretty solid. dash is uncracked as well.
    brakes on the car are fairly new stock m3 brakes, suspension is nothing special, but it still rides like an m3.
    i have videos of the motor running in its previous car, as well as dyno videos, and the vin history of the car the motor is out of. it put out 220 to the wheels in a 93 325, and its out of a 97 m3. its an s52 already swapped to obdI. all the parts to finish it are there, minus a chip, i just need time. the radiator still needs to be
    mounted and some sort of intake made. Also, most the parts you see missing off the car are included in good shape. i.e. grills, headlights (ellips), foglights, random interior pieces..

complete swap including OBDI complete s52 engine, harness w/ computer, and trans engine and trans have approx 80k miles on it. came from a carfax approved car before it was wrecked of course. carfax shows mileage at 60,xxx before wreck
    Car was put in 93 325i and for about 20,xxx. dynoed at 220 rwhp. have video
    Plus swap parts, i.e.:
    THR x50/52 swap booster
    AKG eurythane swap mounts
    UUC e21 eurythane trans mounts with cups
    UUC underdrive pulleys (on motor)
    E36 Guibo, brand new
    E36 M3 radiator, brand new
    740 3.5 maf used
    AKG wire harness adapter
    e34 oil pan, pick up tube, and dipstick (on motor already) used
    e36 m3 shifter used
    e36 upper and lower rad hoses
    e30 318is ecu bracket

$9,000 for it all.
    for anyone who is genuinely interested you can email me at zep0606 @ gmail . com i will give you any specifics you wish to know.

could the salvage title be due to flooding?
    Chairman of the Bored--Live Sockets Entertainment

Comment

do you have the vin handy maybe i can find out what happened for you

Comment

What version of red is it?
        Where in Texas?

Thanks

Paul
        1990 M3 SE - 44K miles - in storage :sosad:
        1989 M3 US - 97K miles - Dormant :sosad:
        1990 M3 Shell - O miles - new [peace]
        sigpic

Comment

i always suspected maybe theft recovery. its been all around the states, cali, texas, indiana, texas.. could be flood i guess. ill try to get the vin soon.

paul, its zinnoberrot, and its in brazoria texas, 77422. south of houston.

Comment

Originally posted by 88M3ofDoom View Post
            i always suspected maybe theft recovery. its been all around the states, cali, texas, indiana, texas.. could be flood i guess. ill try to get the vin soon.

paul, its zinnoberrot, and its in brazoria texas, 77422. south of houston.
            Do you have the car back together NOW???

Is the S14 motor gone??

Comment

The s14 is technically not im my possesion, but is very easy to work into the deal.
              The car is mostly together, im waiting on an igition switch right now. But no, it does not run.

I would consider a trade for an e36 m3.
              Last edited by 88M3ofDoom; 08-21-2009, 06:23 PM.

Comment

car was hit in passanger quarter panel in 1999.
                but do not be misled, its not a salvage title, its a rebuilt title.
                For those who do not know, the car was deamed "rebuilt" after it was repaired and
                passed a state inspection certifying it "rebuilt".

Comment

Don't follow your "rebuilt title" explanation....just because a car is in an accident, deer hit, whatever, as long as it's not "totaled" by insurance (and a salvage title issued) there is always a "clean" title, assuming the owner of the car has the car repaired properly.

Now, if there was a salvage title issued due to an accident, flood damage, etc., then the following applies:

A "rebuilt" title is simply a salvaged vehicle that has been made roadworthy by reconstructing it to drivable condition. A "salvage title" basically means the car is "not" allowed on the road as being titled to operate normally (i.e. it has not been re-constructed, or "rebuilt" and passed state certification).

Does this make sense?

Originally posted by 88M3ofDoom View Post
                  car was hit in passanger quarter panel in 1999.
                  but do not be misled, its not a salvage title, its a rebuilt title.
                  For those who do not know, the car was deamed "rebuilt" after it was repaired and
                  passed a state inspection certifying it "rebuilt".

Comment

Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post
                    Don't follow your "rebuilt title" explanation....just because a car is in an accident, deer hit, whatever, as long as it's not "totaled" by insurance (and a salvage title issued) there is always a "clean" title, assuming the owner of the car has the car repaired properly.

Now, if there was a salvage title issued due to an accident, flood damage, etc., then the following applies:

A "rebuilt" title is simply a salvaged vehicle that has been made roadworthy by reconstructing it to drivable condition. A "salvage title" basically means the car is "not" allowed on the road as being titled to operate normally (i.e. it has not been re-constructed, or "rebuilt" and passed state certification).

Does this make sense?
                    The explanation may apply in Texas, but it does not apply to all states as their are states that don't have/offer "rebuilt" titles. In those states, a car that has been written off by an insurance co. is given a "salvage" title whether it is repaired & goes back on the road or is sent to the junk yard. It can still be repaired, inspected & go back on the road, but the title is still marked "salvage".

By letting all states make individual decisions on how titles are marked on resale cars, "title washing" (a felony) was spawned by some creative $$ hungry low life's who figured out a way to take advantage of the system. It has been done for a long time.

Let's say a new car has water damage from a flood in Texas. The insurance co. writes it off, it is sold at auction - it is fixed (?) & given a "rebuilt" title. That car is then sent to auction in a state that doesn't have "rebuilt" titles. Depending on how the car is transferred to the next owner after sale at the second auction, a new title is issued with no "rebuilt" notation as the state doesn't have such a thing. Then the car goes to another state & is title transferred (for the 3rd time) & a new title issued (clean). Then it is sold (title transferred) for the 4th time, now, to a unsuspecting buyer who thinks he got a killer cheap deal on an almost new, low mile car with no record (in his state) of a "salvage" title. The first 3 "sales" may all be done by the original buyer, in order to get a clean, no record, title, so the vehicle can be sold to the guy on the street.

While many states have added safeguards to prevent this "title washing", not all of them have the ability to share DMV information intrastate & very few buyers would bother to do title search history on an almost new car from out of state. So the buyer of our fictitious "flood" car starts having never ending electrical gremlins down the road & he is none the wiser what has happened to him.

In Florida, 250,000 cars were given "salvage" titles (many of them from new car dealer lots) as a result of Katrina. Do you think all, many or a few went to the junk yard? Carfax may not show the "salvage" on the vehicle, so there report looks clean - but it will show three transactions (new owner or title change) in a short period of time, in different states.

The Federal Gov. didn't have a way to insure that all these cars were in fact parted out so their "fail safe" was to make available to the public, a list of all car VINS that were involved in an insurance "flood damage total" as a result of Katrina. You are welcome to view the list. So, beware of the almost new, low mile car, that shows 3 title changes on the carfax report, it may be surrounded 6 feet of water & some red flags that you need to look into before making the buying decision. Buyer beware!!
                    sigpic

Comment

That's interesting....learn something every day! :-) Thanks for the explanation.

On this particular car FS however, I think it would be best to explain why it has a "rebuilt" title. If the only body damage was a repair to a rear qtr panel, doesn't seem to me that this would warrant anything except a simple accident repair with "clean" title. Unless, Texas requires that "any" body repair on a car must be titled as "rebuilt" - and that just seems strange.

I suppose it really doesn't matter when it comes down to desirable "collector" cars like an E30 M3. Bottom line, as long as any accident repairs were properly done, that's all that really matters. As I've said before, I've seen cars with salvage titles that have been restored to waaaay better than stock "clean" titled cars.

Comment

Well put

Comment

That's interesting....learn something every day! :-) Thanks for the explanation.

On this particular car FS however, I think it would be best to explain why it has a "rebuilt" title. If the only body damage was a repair to a rear qtr panel, doesn't seem to me that this would warrant anything except a simple accident repair with "clean" title. Unless, Texas requires that "any" body repair on a car must be titled as "rebuilt" - and that just seems strange.

I suppose it really doesn't matter when it comes down to desirable "collector" cars like an E30 M3. Bottom line, as long as any accident repairs were properly done, that's all that really matters. As I've said before, I've seen cars with salvage titles that have been restored to waaaay better than stock "clean" titled cars.
                          I agree with you 100% & I was no way implying that this was a "flood salvage". This car is fairly represented & priced by the OP. What I have said in my "washed title" post would not apply to this car - it is way to old & the "rebuild title" has been clearly stated by 88M3ofDoom.

I think most E30M3 enthusiasts/S14.net members recognize a polished turd & this car does not appear such. The memberships honest (sometimes brutally honest) comments about cars/parts for sale here tend to eliminate posers very quickly.

I wish 88M3ofDoom good luck with the sale & apologize for the wordy thread-jack.
                          sigpic

Comment

i hate to chime in OT, but i totally disagree! if resale is of no concern, and you are looking to keep it forever, and never entering it in any concours, and it passes a bodyshop ppi, then fine, overlook the salvage if you can. otherwise salvage title is a scarlet letter, and especially with a collector car such as this- it nullifies any such status! if you have a salvaged accord or focus, so what? you just paid less for a runaround beater. but for any real money like what e30m3's tend to command, salvage title is a daggar in its heart for resale. sure it might have been a theft recovery, tho the greatest percentage of salvages were stuffed... hard! and here in cali there is no discrimination- theft, wreck, flood, etc- if insurance wrote it off, it's done- SALVAGED on title if put back on road. at the same time, i have seen cars that look like they were hit by trains with clean titles, sometimes not even an accident indicator on carfax! i have also seen very nice salvage title cars, tho the majority are messy slap-togethers. i even own a salvage title car, for that matter, and it's a rare and unique model to begin with, things lined up and it drove well, and it was priced way less than any others similar at the time. i also own clean title cars that have had one or more panels replaced in its life, and i feel the value has decreased, despite excellent work. bottom line- the e30m3 is a perfect example to break down this principle- if original paint, or at least repainted but all original VIN's present without evidence of bodywork or trauma, those cars are worth the most, imo, and serve as the best foundation to then go ahead and spend any money on restoring or otherwise.

Comment

thanks for all the input guys, and just so yall know, i took no offense to any of the previous statements. If anything yall clarified the issue for some one considering purchasing a car with said title.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X