Not affiliated: E30 M3 for sale in Vancouver, BC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not affiliated: E30 M3 for sale in Vancouver, BC

Anyone know anything about this car? I emailed the seller and he indicated the car is a US-spec car and the engine is 2.3L, and he's only owned it for the last couple of months. Not sure why he's selling. I'm in Seattle and may go look at it this weekend if I can find the time.

I've done a bit of research here and elsewhere on the cost of importing a US-spec car, and it appears to be in the neighborhood of 1-2k, depending on how I do it.

Thoughts on the mods/specs?
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...634300239.html
    Last edited by sasquatch; 10-11-2011, 03:22 PM.

To import a car first sold in the US, you should be able to fill out a form for the boarder, and drive it home. You might run into a hiccup if the spedo is in kM but I'm not positive. They might just let it go. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I've heard some people say they have just brought the car across the boarder with the speedometer in km. I'm looking to the same thing with a different car. (Hopefully before Thanksgiving.) I started a thread on this very subject, do a search and you should be able to find it. I think I had a link to the form needed for the boarder as well.

The thing I don't know is if there are any fees that must be paid at the boarder. I've been trying to find out, but haven't heard either way. Also, the plates will stay in BC with the owner of the car. You can't take them with you. I haven't had a chance to go to the DMV to see about driving a car bought out of the country 1000 miles back to the state with no plates. In your case, you might be able to get the guy to drive the car down to you, you buy it, get it registered, and drive the guy home (unlikely, but might be worth a try). Revive my thread and keep me posted on what you find if you decide to buy the car.

Will
    '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101 Sprint (HUGE project :uhoh
    '88 M3

Comment

Yeah, I remembe seeing that post. Great information. Here's some other info that I added to another thread.

I was looking for more information on this topic recently, and found the following site (an importer agency I believe). They have some good information.
      http://www.willz.ca/importcanadatousa.htm

Specifically, I was wondering how much I would have to pay to import a US-spec car *back* into the US. They note the following:

What is the federal US Treasury duty rate on importing BMW's?
      BMW's are charged at a duty rate of about 2.5% of the stated value of the car. More precisely, the first $1000 US is taxed at 4%, while the remaining balance is taxed at 2.5%. So, a BMW costing $30,000 US would be charged a $765 US duty fee to import.

Comment

I don't know if that applies for older cars. It might, it might not. Its my understanding that these cars now fall under the 25 year old car rule and might not be taxed. I don't know. I did find that same site however.

Will
        '69 Datsun 2000 Roadster vintage race car (Street driven on a regular basis :taz
        '88 M3

Comment

Here is some more info, from the WILLZ site. I sent the guy an email, here is what he said.

"If it has a US federal compliance sticker on the car, then it was originally built for the US market. I doubt you'd have to pay the 2.5% federal duty when you re-import it to the USA. Seeing that it's almost 25 years old, it's exempt from DOT and EPA requirements. Regardless, it's a US car to begin with, so nobody will be looking at speedometers and the like. Check with US Customs to be sure. CARB may get stupid with you when you bring it in out of state, so check to see what they want from you."

I then asked if it would be a good idea to get ahold of BMW North America to get a letter from them stating that the car was indeed a US car.

Then he followed up with...
          "The key to the whole thing is what compliance sticker is on the car. There are different rules for importing a Canadian car or a Japanese car. If it's already US, that's the easiest. BMW Canada won't talk about US compliance on a US car. They can only do that if it was a Canadian car."

Will
          '88 M3

Comment

Easiest thing is just phone the nearest boarder crossing. They will tell you everything you need to do at the border and any fees at the border. Simple as that. Usually you wont have problems at the border, but if you need to get inspections and what not when you get back home that's where all the details are checked. Also I am pretty sure you can get temporary tags or a temporary permit to drive the car before registered, that's what I did.
            Last edited by Shaun; 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM.

Comment

My nearest boarder is about 950 miles away. :drive: I am planning on going and talking with the DMV once I know I have the $$$$$ to buy the car.

Will
              '88 M3

Comment

Hi ,

I can do a pre-purchase inspection on it for you if you want. Might save you a border wait if it doesnt pass . i am about a 30min drive for the seller.

Chris Besemer
                CG Motorsports

604-275-6638

Comment

Thanks Chris, pm sent.

Comment

If you do go after the car, please let me know what is needed at the boarder. The quick easy way to tell if the car should be a breeze to get in is if its got the sticker on the drivers side B pillar stating its a US car. If it has that, you should be good to go.

I'm hoping to be booking a flight north sometime next month if things go well. To drive the car back, I'm looking at spending $600-$800 on the flight up, fuel, food, and lodging. I'm hoping to make a vacation out of it (I need one).

Will
                    '88 M3

Comment

Working...
                    X