X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Mine: Craigslist SF Bay Area Cupertino 79K Miles Asking $28K

Hey All,

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3186400491.html

Not My car, but looks to be a nice example. Price is a bit on the high side but that's up to the buyer/seller to determine:

Up for sell is a collectible Classic 1990 BMW E30 M3. In excellent condition.
    Color : Diamond Shwartz paint (ext), Black (int)
    Clean Title (Cal car)
    Mileage : 79000 Only
    extra : racing dynamics rims (17" 5 spokes), racing dynamics strut bar (front and back), suspension. chip (increase 25hp). Lower profile.
    $3000 sound system (Done in 3 years ago).

Last edited by R6Elmo; 08-06-2012, 04:22 AM.

This car is right down the street from me, so I've seen actually seen it. The good always speaks or itself, but here's what I noticed:

1) Passenger fender is DOT-R
    2) Rear wing needs paint
    3) Trunk clear is peeling
    4) Air dam has had some driveway abuse, needs paint
    5) Rear section of roof above windshield has faded paint
    6) Seam torn on rear seat
    7) No maintenance records to speak of
    8) Couldn't find vin tag on trunk or hood
    9) Lots of rash on the rims
    10) Rear tires way too tall(235/45/17)
    11)A bunch of stereo equipment and wires in the trunk and throughout the car. Lots of speakers too...some may see that as a positive

Took it for a quick spin, very sluggish at first with a low idle and missing around 5k rpm at half throttle. As the oil got up to temp and I took it through the gears, it seemed to wake up a bit. The owner was very hesitant to let me wind the car up, he said he never revved the car.

Overall the car has some great potential, but is worth nowhere near asking price IMO. The owner claims to have an offer for 26k, but I value it closer to 14-15k.
    Last edited by ShiftBMW; 08-06-2012, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Why comment on the sale price? I've never understood that and it's the reason the PO owner of my car told me he never posted the sale to this forum. Don't we all want these cars to fetch top dollar if the market is there for them? It's like hoping your neighbors house doesn't get the asking price, it only lessons the value of your house. I hope it sells for more than $28K.
      Rob W.

88 Zinno E30 M3
      11 White 528i

Comment

^Because I want to save my friends from spending energy, hours, and money to go the distance to see the car based on a false expectation. Had the price been even close to in the ballpark, I wouldn't have said anything, but this one was just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by ShiftBMW View Post
          ^Because I want to save my friends from spending energy, hours, and money to go the distance to see the car based on a false expectation. Had the price been even close to in the ballpark, I wouldn't have said anything, but this one was just ridiculous.
          +10000000

I went to look at a car that was posted here. I had cash in hand. Upon seeing the car I did not even make an offer being that what was posted was FAR from reality. Although I didnt post I advised people that I had seen the car. I saved one guy a trip from Montana. I always appreciate when someone that has MORE knowledge than me posts their honest, unbiased opinion. Thanks alot!

Comment

First off, I also agree with what ShiftBMW posted....+1. But, there's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing the pros and cons about a car posted up on this forum by a casual observer who sees a car listed for sale "somewhere else"......Now, when someone on this forum posts a car for sale, it's my opinion that unless you have something positive to say about the car or seller based on your personal experience, it's better and "protocol" to say nothing! You can also private message someone if you have a negative comment about the car, but that's just something many of us might do to assist a novice looking to purchase. I don't agree with the public bashing that sometimes occurs, and I believe most on here will agree.

John

Originally posted by Veersberg View Post
            Why comment on the sale price? I've never understood that and it's the reason the PO owner of my car told me he never posted the sale to this forum. Don't we all want these cars to fetch top dollar if the market is there for them? It's like hoping your neighbors house doesn't get the asking price, it only lessons the value of your house. I hope it sells for more than $28K.

Comment

I totally agree, 100%. I think the OP had it right, "it's up to the buyer/seller to determine" the right price, that's what becomes the market rate after all.
              And I think we all appreciate the pros and cons discussions when related to the car's condition. Sorry for the soap box fellas.
              Rob W.

88 Zinno E30 M3
              11 White 528i

Comment

I think what shiftbmw provided for his review is valuable. The difference between what *shift posted vs. what I've seen on other for sale forums is that he actually went to look at the car, and got a good look at it, drove it, and provided his opinion on it. Based on what he's stated, the original ad from craigslist is missing a good amount of information on the vehicles condition, especially since it's listed as "excellent condition"

I purchased my E30 M3 recently from the midwest, would have been nice if someone provided me with some feedback before my purchase, would have made it much easier and and set my expectations more accordingly.

Price for cars and motorcycles are all over the place. It just takes that one person with $ that wants something in a specific way and the price will climb.

Comment

I agree. I would be looking for advice before i spent that kind of money. Thats one of the main reasons i come here. I suspect i'm not alone in that.
                  Shifrbmw, i live in Sunnyvale/Cupertino area. Think i have seen your car driving around. We have the same color.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by vdavie View Post
                    I agree. I would be looking for advice before i spent that kind of money. Thats one of the main reasons i come here. I suspect i'm not alone in that.
                    Shifrbmw, i live in Sunnyvale/Cupertino area. Think i have seen your car driving around. We have the same color.

Vince
                    I live in santa clara and we should have a small get together sometime...

Comment

The difference is between offering an opinion on the cars condition versus commenting on it's value or price.
                      Rob W.

88 Zinno E30 M3
                      11 White 528i

Comment

Originally posted by Veersberg View Post
                        The difference is between offering an opinion on the cars condition versus commenting on it's value or price.
                        Last time I checked, E30 M3 pricing was pretty proportioned to condition and in a public forum you can say what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by R6Elmo View Post
                          I live in santa clara and we should have a small get together sometime...

Totally down, count me in.

Comment

Working...
                          X