WTB: e30 M3 $5000 decent running condition So Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: e30 M3 $5000 decent running condition So Cal

Hi, I'm in the market for an e30 M3 and thought I might put my offer public incase people don't want to hassle with the whole selling and taking endless offers process. Doesn't have to be in the best condition, just running thats all. Thanks. please email me at [email protected]

Hi,

Its gunna be tough to find one for $5000, don't get me wrong, they do come around, but not to often. Figure to get a good car to start with, most arein the $8-$10 range, but will need some work. I got lucky and found a pretty nice rust free 89 for $8400, which only needs minor repairs. Heres a decent one for $6900, but has a salvage title http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...y&cardist=2407

Good luck!
    REGISTER YOU M CAR IN THE M REGISTRY TO HELP TRACK ALL THE REMAINING E30 M3s
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/registry.php

Comment

Originally posted by JeffNJM3
      Heres a decent one for $6900, but has a salvage title http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...y&cardist=2407

Good luck!
      I believe that car has been shuffled around quite a bit. The was a post on bf.c about a red M3 in So Cal with Dinan parts, a salvage title, and bent frame rails.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I know i'm asking for a lot w/ only $5000, but I might be willing to shell out a little bit more depending on condition of car. How much life left do you think are in the ones w/ 200k miles on them or close?

I'd prefer to stay away from salvage or Frame damaged ones, because I know how important that is with these cars. I'm coming from a 2001.5 Audi S4 which i'm looking to sell.

Comment

Any car that sells for $5k is going to be a junker. Best suited to Racing or parting out.
          Any car for $5k... you better expect it to have an accident history, or even a salvage title. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles with these cars.

Yes, there will always be "exceptions".... but posting on a web forum like this... you wont find that exception. Someone else here would have already snapped it up. :p

This thread may be helpful:
          http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...&threadid=2814
          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

heres one worth looking at, the reserve is met at under $5k

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...532259820&rd=1
            REGISTER YOU M CAR IN THE M REGISTRY TO HELP TRACK ALL THE REMAINING E30 M3s
            http://www.bmwmregistry.com/registry.php

Comment

That is near my house, other side of 101. Might be worth checking out.

Comment

hi Del, I have a nogaro 2001.5 S4 also. Yeah, I realized what you guys are talking about. And I'm willing to bump my offer up a little bit higher. I am wondering if you can check out that M3 for me and tell me if you think its worth it. I recently moved into a new Apartment with a garage now, so i have no problems if the car needs some work done.

Comment

I will try to get down there on Sat and look at it. The interior is pretty beat, looks like if you want it for a track car then it might be a good choice. With the miles and the wear doesn't look like something you are going to turn into a concours car anytime soon.

Comment

IMHO for $5K you should buy an E30 325i/iS. 5K will buy a good but not really great one, the trick is picking through all the beat up junk to find a decent car.

Remember that the M3 is not cheap to maintain. Parts cost more. If you don't do your own work the labor is more for say a valve adjust. The 325i cars only maintenance headache is the belt-driven cam, if you get an 89 or newer car this job is time consuming but really it's easy, not many special tools needed. 88 and earlier you have to take the nut off the front end of the crank and it's torqued to 250 or 300 ft-lbs, not impossible to deal with but takes more doing than the later cars. I personally had an 89 and recommend it over the newer cars with airbag, but if you want a bomb in your steering wheel, hey, its' a free country.

If you buy a $5000 M3 it will want a cash infusion right away. Without looking at the car I can't say what it will need, but unless you get incredibly lucky it will be like that. If you find a car that has been wrecked and repaired right (BIG IF) or maybe has been totaled for theft of radio etc. just maybe you can get a sound car for $5000.

Comment

If you are a fairly clear in your skills of repair I wouldn't rule out all the cheap M3's you see - mine was $5500 with a carload of spare parts (mainly crap, but a few good key items) - and the original asking price was something like $8k IIRC.

But I am a machinist by trade with plenty of engine teardown / rebuild / swaps that I've either done myself or been in on with my dad through the years. This is my 1st BMW so I'm new to these, but so far they seem to be a car that will withstand neglect to some degree and be able to be brought back with some hope of future reliability - just my personal opinion.

If you are clear on your expectations of a cheap M3 I am proof that they are still fun, but mine isn't my primary car nor do I plan to sell it. I view my cheap M as a 10 year project that may or may not run at any given point. I may call mine a basketcase but it has yet to even hiccup in the 8 months I've driven it.

To me a broken M in the garage is still more fun and has more potential than any plain E30 that hasn't been modified beyond the price range we are talking about.

Good Luck!

Comment

[i]The 325i cars only maintenance headache is the belt-driven cam, if you get an 89 or newer car this job is time consuming but really it's easy, not many special tools needed. 88 and earlier you have to take the nut off the front end of the crank and it's torqued to 250 or 300 ft-lbs, not impossible to deal with but takes more doing than the later cars. [/B]
                        Incorrect. Not necessary to remove the nut on 88s either. I do agree that E30 325is are great cars though.......
                        2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
                        1995 Porsche 993
                        2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
                        2004 Ford F-150 FX4
                        2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
                        1985 BMW M635CSI
                        2001 BMW M3
                        1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

Del, did you check out the car for me?

Comment

Sorry, had to replace the Tie rods on my S4 today. If you are serious, I can check it out today, Sunday if they are open.

Comment

Working...
                            X