Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• itomic
    replied
    Yeah Mark, the only thing is that I'm heavily involved in autocrossing and E30 M3 is not really strong in any class (guess STX is the best one), while an ITR is a top contender in DS, and could do OK in STX.

Leave a comment:

• M3 Adjuster
    replied
    Originally posted by itomic

I may get flamed for this but E30 M3 reminds me of what an ITR would be if it was rwd (capable, light, hi-revving, and just plain RAW!)
    I have always been a big Honda/Acura fan also...so... I know what you are saying.. but.. you have it backwards...
    The Integra Type R (took me a minute to figure out ITR.. doh!) reminds one of what a front wheel drive E30 M3 would be..!
    [done] The E30 M3 came first!! [done]

I SERIOUSLY looked at the Intergra GSR back in the day before
    I got my E30M3... I've driven several of those.. one recently on the track with a modified Japan Spec motor... I've not driven the ITR,
    but had a friend who owns an E36 bmw and the ITR drive mine and he indicated they are very similar except the drive wheels..

Which gets me back to how I got here... I picked the E30 M3 over an Integra because it is RWD...
    RWD is simply MUCH more fun to drive than AWD or FWD...

When you are carving the twisities, having the car scrub off speed understeering is just nowhere near as fun as say...
    -getting the rear end to slip just a little and then planting your right foot to power out!
    - Ever do a 180 degree U turn at a traffic light in a FWD car??? YAWN.... try the same in a RWD car and try NOT to grin like a fool!:yeah:

Either way... Definitely drive both cars and make the decision for yourself!

Leave a comment:

• itomic
    replied
    Originally posted by M3 Adjuster
    Good for you itomic... Did you drive it at all?
    The fact that the car was already running when you arrived
    is pretty scary.... maybe it has a hard time starting? Maybe it
    leaks fluids and the owner moved it from another spot? Either way, that's a big no-on as a seller to have the car running like that... Personally.. I'd run far and run fast... take your time and find a car without so many questions regarding it's past...

Good luck! it took me 6 months to find my first E30M3 (back before the internet!) Imagine waiting for the next month's BMWCCA Roundel for leads on a car! grr:
    No I didn't drive, although I kinda regret it now. It was one of those where you come to see the car and find out that there are some major flaws, so you don't really feel like driving it.

I am actually looking for a good example of the E30 M3 or an ITR. I've been a long-time loyal Honda fan and believe that the ITR is one of the best expressions of Honda engineering...it's pure and simply fun to drive (even though it's fwd).

I may get flamed for this but E30 M3 reminds me of what an ITR would be if it was rwd (capable, light, hi-revving, and just plain RAW!)

Leave a comment:

• M3 Adjuster
    replied
    Just came back from seeing the car and I have to say...I love this car even more than before. That said, this looked like a very "tired" example of an E30 M3.

When I got there the car was already running, which sucked 'cause I wanted to hear it run cold but even so it idled pretty rough (the owner said the timing was a little off).

All in all I'm glad I went to see it.
    Good for you itomic... Did you drive it at all?
    The fact that the car was already running when you arrived
    is pretty scary.... maybe it has a hard time starting? Maybe it
    leaks fluids and the owner moved it from another spot? Either way, that's a big no-on as a seller to have the car running like that... Personally.. I'd run far and run fast... take your time and find a car without so many questions regarding it's past...

Good luck! it took me 6 months to find my first E30M3 (back before the internet!) Imagine waiting for the next month's BMWCCA Roundel for leads on a car! grr:

Leave a comment:

• M3 Adjuster
    replied
    No... I've got THREE friends that are over 6' 4" that own E30 M3s

Originally posted by pre-hop
    following up on itomic's fear of height issues... i'm 6'5"... i've driven a friends 98 Z3 and my head rested against the soft top (without a helmet... just my head)... i've been in my father in laws 03 350Z and my head touches the roof there as well (also a convertible)... these are the only sporty, small-type cars i've driven... should i drop my e30 m3 fascination based on my height?

Leave a comment:

• itomic
    replied
    ^ that is funny. He actually mentioned that you were coming to see the car. Anyway, I'm glad the post saved you the trip.
    btw - good luck hunting for another one!

Leave a comment:

• Avery
    replied
    haha

itomic - thank you very much

i live on vancouver island and was going to make the trek over to go see / test / maybe buy this e30 bmw thanks for saving me a couple hundred (ferry/food/gas)

im also looking a e30 bmw black would be nice but i don't have near the ammount of funds to buy it straight up and i was looking into gettin a loan for this car i guess ill just continue saving

im so glad i found this thread
    Last edited by Avery; 02-10-2006, 09:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• itomic
    replied
    Just came back from seeing the car and I have to say...I love this car even more than before. That said, this looked like a very "tired" example of an E30 M3.

When I got there the car was already running, which sucked 'cause I wanted to hear it run cold but even so it idled pretty rough (the owner said the timing was a little off).

The body looked extremely good, all joints between the pannels were even, no rust anywhere as far I could tell and no dents.

The engine bay wasn't too clean but it is a 17 year-old car, however, the owner didn't know why the valve cover was different color, he claimed that it was stock. There were also a bunch of other imperfections under the hood that I'm sure hide a story of their own, but at this point I just wanted to sit in it.

All I have to say is that the car felt simply awesome inside, it has a feel of a small Japanese car with great visibility and a feel of lightness and agility. Anyway, the car definitely has a leaking problem; there was water (condensation) on the door pannels of all places, also behind the clear plastic of the gauge cluster, which is super inconvenient since you can't see the gauges. Aside from that the interior looked OK at best.

^ pre-hop I'm not sure how much headroom you'd have at 6'5" but this car reminded me of VW's, there seemed to be lots of headroom, I think I could even fit a helmet in there.

All in all I'm glad I went to see it.

Leave a comment:

• pre-hop
    replied
    following up on itomic's fear of height issues... i'm 6'5"... i've driven a friends 98 Z3 and my head rested against the soft top (without a helmet... just my head)... i've been in my father in laws 03 350Z and my head touches the roof there as well (also a convertible)... these are the only sporty, small-type cars i've driven... should i drop my e30 m3 fascination based on my height?

Leave a comment:

• LachSlvrE30M3
    replied
    i have one for sale with 166k miles. The car has a salvage title but still has all original vin stickers on every body panel other than the drivers side front fender. The car runs sweet and is in good shape. also, if your planning on tracking it, it already has racing seats, harnesses, short throw shifter, evo 2 lower air box, cat back supersprint dtm exhaust, stainless steel break lines, suspension is upgraded and is a great car......all of that and you'll save a good 4 grand from the price of that car......... let me know if you are interested.......

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jprsvr4/album?.dir=ebc4

862-849-6357

Leave a comment:

• Mmark
    replied
    Thanks everyone for all the input, as I said I am seeing the car on Thursday since I've never sat in an E30 M3 or looked at one in detail. Aside from the concerns that go along with buying this kind of car, I want to make sure that I can fit into one with a helmet (for autox/track days). At 6'2" I am touching the roof with the top of my helmet in a civic with 38.6 inches of front head room, unfortunately many cars come with less than this. Either way, I'll go see it although I'm nowhere near wanting to buy this particular one.
    Famous last words
    As soon as you sit in it, the trap is sprung....You'll feel this need to rescue the beast and that it isn't in tooo bad of a shape.
    m

Leave a comment:

• atan888
    replied
    the owner must know if the car is as perfect as he says, its worth a lot more. why only 12k?

Leave a comment:

• itomic
    replied
    Thanks everyone for all the input, as I said I am seeing the car on Thursday since I've never sat in an E30 M3 or looked at one in detail. Aside from the concerns that go along with buying this kind of car, I want to make sure that I can fit into one with a helmet (for autox/track days). At 6'2" I am touching the roof with the top of my helmet in a civic with 38.6 inches of front head room, unfortunately many cars come with less than this. Either way, I'll go see it although I'm nowhere near wanting to buy this particular one.

Leave a comment:

• ogi///M3
    replied
    itomic, just a suggestion...if you ever buy that car or any car at all that's out of province, make sure everything is in working condition,like from the bulbs to the front seats moving freely and I know, BC province is pretty strict on cars with no cat. otherwise you'll spend a lot of money before you get it registered. I almost bought a m3 fron Van. that a guy bought from states and his selling it co'z it won't pass the inspection. so just be aware of that. and I think there's a nice white e30 m3 forsale in Kamloops. not sure if he sold it yet. good luck.

Leave a comment:

• e30_m3
    replied
    I saw that car for sale awhile ago, unless someone bought it and is reselling it. I never took a look at it but i think i few guys at www.bimmerclassics.net have.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X