Feeler: Custom subwoofer boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeler: Custom subwoofer boxes

Any intrest in custom fit subwoofer boxes to fit a single 12" and amp/changer/GPS/capacitor inside? These would be a bandpass design, ported through the ski hole, and covered in either suede or carpet. Option of having a complete setup as well including subwoofer and amp already installed and wired.
    1988 M3 2.5L
    1990 325is
    1983 533i

roughly how much would this cost?
    it sounds great

Comment

I may be very interested! pics and pricing pls!
      sigpic
      Click here to see the evolution of my E30 M3 Recent Pics My E30 M3 is sold but not forgotten:cry:

Comment

Most people leave the sheet metal covering the ski hole for rigidity reasons.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Most of the people that are trying to put a 12inch sub in their trunk are not worried about the amount of rigidity that the ski hole offers. Also that ski hole is only spot welded on in about 6 different spots thats not going to offer much if anything structural to the car. To to each his own I can understand not wanting to punch it out.
          1988 BMW M3
          FOWLER AUTOMOTIVE
          BMW and OTHER OEM PARTS SUPPLIER!!!!! PM FOR QUOTE
          Compterized SF 600 SuperFlow Air Flow Testing
          Sonic testing, repairs and rebuilding of heads and blocks.
          www.FowlerAutomotive.com

Comment

Pictures will be provided soon. The subwoofer and electronics are held in thier own divided portions of the box with plexi viewing to both.

Cost would be depend on the options chosen as far as covering material/painted, and loaded with subwoofer/amp. There are a limited amount of subwoofers that will fit the box as the 12" overall depth necessarry in the M3 single out most extremely high power subwoofers.

Removing the ski hole is NOT required, however, for best sound quality it is reccomended. Just ask yourself, would BMW design a panel that was MEANT to be removed, in a place that takes stress? Look at the design, the rigidity comes from the "ribs" running through the sheet metal, all of which actually go around the ski hole and not through it.
            1988 M3 2.5L
            1990 325is
            1983 533i

Comment

I would be interested if i could get a box for a 10" sub

Comment

Sounds like a nice set-up. Im looking into something similar for my M3, but being over in NZ wouldn't be able to do the group-buy. out of interest are you using MDF or perspex for the box? if so what thickness?

Laurence.
                Crusin' down da road.. 142dB, life is good.

Comment

a better option is to have it take 2x10" woofer
                  it's usualy easier to wire 2 subs due to impediance etc
                  check out this one
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pione...spagenameZWDVW

and using this the box doesn't have to be too wide
                  even if it's like 5 or 6" depth it would be great for the subs
                  they also make a 12" model of it

Comment

Originally posted by rhett325i View Post
                    I would be interested if i could get a box for a 10" sub
                    I would highly suggest against a 10" woofer. The sound quality, and frequencies possible are MUCH better with a 12" driver. I have used MANY combinations of woofers/sizes (2x10, 2x12, 2x8, 1x10, 1x12) in my cars and a single high powered 12" has given me the best results.
                    1988 M3 2.5L
                    1990 325is
                    1983 533i

Comment

Originally posted by kmarei View Post
                      a better option is to have it take 2x10" woofer
                      it's usualy easier to wire 2 subs due to impediance etc
                      check out this one
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pione...spagenameZWDVW

and using this the box doesn't have to be too wide
                      even if it's like 5 or 6" depth it would be great for the subs
                      they also make a 12" model of it
                      The entire goal of this box is to contain all of the electronics and the woofer inside the same box to protect the components and make them easy to remove. Using two woofers will not allow enough room to mount any electronics inside the box, additionally, a single DVC 12" woofer sounds MUCH better than two 10"s.
                      1988 M3 2.5L
                      1990 325is
                      1983 533i

Comment

How does the design work in conjunction with a rear tower stress bar?

Most brand bars run the bar at the elevation of the uppermost sheet metal the shock tower is, and I plan to semi-lock my speakerbox in using the bar, since I have a removable center section, so I have a plan to either buy or build a box to do this, more than likely build myself as this is a tall request.

Since woofers are fairly picky on the demands of the box (volume), what particular woofer are you intending this box to work with?

I'm far from knowledgeable in the whole 12v audio world, so if volume doesn't matter in a box of your design, please just say so - I am used to asking stupid questions.

Comment

Originally posted by blackcoatknight View Post
                          Most of the people that are trying to put a 12inch sub in their trunk are not worried about the amount of rigidity that the ski hole offers.
                          That's not true. What would rigidity and 12 inches of sub have to do with each other? Most people just drop a sub in their trunk and let the base pass through the rear dash. They also have stock rear seats that they use. Anyway, each to their own (as you said).

Good luck with the product, no disrespect intended.

ANy samples of your work?

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Sorry, I have to chime in here..... :blah:

Notorious Racing ------ sorry, but what you just said about 10" and 12" woofers is 100% total crap. Where did you get this information ?!?!?!?!? I'd like an explanation as to how a single 12" DVC "SOUNDS" better then any 10" or pair of 10"........... or whatever. Please, I'd like to understand this........ in some detail please.

Bandpass boxes are NOT the most desirable design to have and one of the more complicated to build and get right construction and tuning wise. They are also limiting in frequency response. You do WAY better with ported or sealed boxes and the right design. OR even better and one of my favorites is infinite baffle off the rear deck.

Next, you can't just drop any woofer in a box and it sounds it's best. All woofers are different. We've tested and found that most specs given by the manufacturer are NOT optimum for the sub. Using software such as LEAP and the TS parameters (subwoofer specs) is the only way to get it right. That being said, it's a lot of chew off to do custom designs for a whole bunch of different woofers depending on who orders what and even more complicated to do it for a bandpass box design. Better off to decide up front to use a specific woofer and design build a package that REALLY works well. Just don't say that a 12" is the best and only choice......... All that being said, what are you proposing box wise......... or is it just one generic bandpass box design ???

The entire goal of this box is to contain all of the electronics and the woofer inside the same box to protect the components and make them easy to remove.
                            Fantastic !!! Housing everything in one big box is great to keep things neat and tidy. Thieves also luv it. I NEVER recommend it, even when a customer wants it bolted down. A thief can get just about anything out ......... and your car will suffer for it. And everything in one box is very attractive to the bad guys for getting ripped off. One yank and they got an arm load of goodies.

Capacitors are junk and a total waste of money unless your only intention is to get rid of headlight dimming. Otherwise it really has NO benefit to the SQ of an automotive sound system "generally" speaking. When you get into very high end car audio, the conversation changes a bit on that topic, but generally speaking, not worth the money from an audio perspective. One is better off to upgrade their battery and charging system.

There are a limited amount of subwoofers that will fit the box as the 12" overall depth necessarry in the M3 single out most extremely high power subwoofers.
                            I have used MANY combinations of woofers/sizes (2x10, 2x12, 2x8, 1x10, 1x12) in my cars and a single high powered 12" has given me the best results
                            High powered 12" does or it doesn't work in this box you have designed?? You're stating above that a single high power 12" has given you the best results. Oh, and on that, what is "best results"........ sound quality or sound pressure or a combo of both ???? As a point of reference, and I've judged audio for way too long, some of the most technically accurate and best sounding subwoofers I've heard were very efficient and NOT HIGH POWER pieces. On the flip side in the SPL arena (Sound Pressure competitions) the woofers are VERY high power but those are awful from a musicality point of view and require enormous amounts of power just to get them moving.

I've been in mobile audio for a long long time........... and seen a lot of disappointed faces that were led down the garden path. Let's make sure that the information given to fellow S14.net members is spot on and on par with the type of cars we enjoy to tinker with and spend our time and money on. If you have all the "stuff" sorted out here, let's get it posted up and we can review it. IF I've missed anything or made any mistakes or someone can prove me wrong in anything I have stated, I'm more then happy to apologize and retract anything that is above.

BTW, my car will be two 8" subwoofers in an infinite baffle config off the rear deck............ firing through the existing holes in the deck. No cutting and so on.

Cheers,
                            Last edited by tominizer; 08-14-2007, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Maybe a lil off topic, but perhaps you can help me decide...Tom I have an Orion HCCA 250G4 Amp and 12" H2 12.2 Sub I could use. Or a Focal Utopia 11" w/ Soundstream Rubi 702 I'm figuring 1.4 cu. ft. sealed for this setup... Need your expertise, what would be ideal for a surround quality sound to play Jazz, R&B, RAP, Rock.
                              Rich!

Comment

Working...
                              X