No announcement yet.

FS: Replica DTM oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the oil capacity of this (or the MS) oilpan?

- Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by e30gabberwock View Post
      Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the oil capacity of this (or the MS) oilpan?
      From a search:
      "A much larger cast aluminum lower oil pan that extends nearly to the frame on both sides and adds about two quarts more oil capacity. Additional vertical and horizontal baffles with three one-way flapper valves control oil surging and keep oil at the pickup under hard cornering and heavy breaking. The larger size requires removal or relocation of the A/C compressor."

I have used BMW MS pans since 2000 & can tell you they are well worth the money. Conrods version looks exactly like the genuine MS part including the proper baffling. I have tried one other copy & I could not get it to seal without leaking most of the oil out. That copy did not follow what MS did, Conrod did follow the MS design.

Mike K.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K. View Post
        From a search:
        "A much larger cast aluminum lower oil pan that extends nearly to the frame on both sides and adds about two quarts more oil capacity. Additional vertical and horizontal baffles with three one-way flapper valves control oil surging and keep oil at the pickup under hard cornering and heavy breaking. The larger size requires removal or relocation of the A/C compressor."

I have used BMW MS pans since 2000 & can tell you they are well worth the money. Conrods version looks exactly like the genuine MS part including the proper baffling. I have tried one other copy & I could not get it to seal without leaking most of the oil out. That copy did not follow what MS did, Conrod did follow the MS design.

Mike K.
        That doesn't answer the question though?
        Does utlizing the MS style pan give you 1qt? 2qt? 1/2qt? added capacity?

These pans look phenomenal. I wish I had a reason to utilize something like this!

Nice work Conrod!
        Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
          That doesn't answer the question though?
          Does utlizing the MS style pan give you 1qt? 2qt? 1/2qt? added capacity?
          From my post "adds about two quarts more oil capacity". I doubt anyone ever actually measured.

How do you you want to measure, do you want to fill the pan off the motor or look at the dip stick? If you use the dip stick are you filling to the top of the dimple or over it or below it?

How much does a stock pan hold?

Mike K.

Comment

Originally posted by kedde1980 View Post
            Very nice...

Again... is the price 930 euro's? or 930 NZ dollhairs?
            930 Euros- I have always been quoting the price in Euros as most of the pans have gone to Europe, it just seemed easier that way.

I am not 100% sure on the increase in oil capacity, I have always guessed it was around 2 litres. I have never compared it against a standard oil pan, these pans dwarf the stock pan so the difference is quite siginifcant! I will fill one of my pans to the gasket line with water and post the result later. If someone has a standard pan that is not fitted to an engine, and they can do the same, that would be good!

One minor "tweak" which I have not mentioned yet is that my pans are exactly the same depth as the road car pan. The MS pan is about 3mm shallower - I think this is to allow the block strengthening plate (3mm thick) to be fitted without affecting the depth of the pickup in the bottom of the pan. If you use an MS pan on a road car (without the strengthening plate) the oil pickup is probably going to be too close to the bottom of the pan. I have an MS pan here which has a round "rub mark" from where the pickup had been rubbing on the bottom, the the oil pump was actually rubbing on the top baffle too.This pan was fitted to an engine (my engine!) with a standard road car upper pan, and no block strengthening plate. The rub marks are what led me to doing a bit of investigating, and uncover the small difference.

I have achieved the extra 3mm depth on my pans by making the bolt flange 3mm thicker. If someone wants to use one of these pans on an MS engine with the block strengthening plate, I will just get my machinist to machine an extra 3mm from the top, making it identical to an MS pan. Make sense? I also supply a set of bolts that are slightly longer to accomodate this thicker flange. This difference is not really noticable unless you put both pans side by side, but I think it is quite important nonetheless.

I figured that most of these pans would probably end up being fitted on engines that had started life in road cars (and would not have the block strengthening plate fitted) so it made sense to tailor them to suit this appplication. And if someone wanted an "MS spec" pan, by machining 3mm from the bolt flange thickness it made them easy to change back and identical to the original MS spec in this regard.

cheers Conrad
            Last edited by conrod; 11-12-2009, 07:20 AM.
            sigpic

www.m3motorsport.co.nz

Comment

I just checked, it holds exactly 6 litres to the gasket line. I fill my engine 0.5-1l past the bottom of the dipstick, so this whole bottom part of the pan must be full, as I think it takes nearly 7 litres of oil to fill to this mark. So if someone can measure a stock pan, there will be the answer!
              cheers Conrad
              sigpic

www.m3motorsport.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by Anders View Post
                Off topic, Conrod, I read on another site that you had looked into having DTM wheel replicas made, but that it was going to be very expensive.

Having you thought about contacting Paintpro on this forum regarding the possibility of doing something similar through him? I bought a set of BBS RC replicas through his business, and they were very nicely made, lightweight (7.5 kg for a 8.5"), and have the proper certification.

An awesome-looking DTM replica with those specifications would surely be a hit?!
                It's funny, I stumbled into this thread and was going to say that I may be willing to have the oil pans bulk shipped to me and then distribute them domestically (it would only be about $20-25 bucks a person most likely for domestic shipping). And one slow/bulk shipment to me would be cheap. But I could only do it if it were a group, to keep things simple on my end. I'm interested in a pan but don't really have the funds at the moment.

I'm very open to working on new wheel projects if there is enough interest, or if someone wants to front the project. I'm even speaking with GMG about producing a new porshce and audi wheel. And working with Bimmerworld on distribution.

Here's my new bmw/audi/vw wheel i just unveiled a few weeks ago

ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

thanks Paintpro, pm sent.

Conrad
                  sigpic

www.m3motorsport.co.nz

Comment

I started a thread in the group sales section with Conrad's permission as I will be importing these pans for sale in the US.

Thread: Cast DTM Oil Sump

Cheers.
                    Jack Money
                    '88 M3 #20 DM/GTS2
                    Elephant Motorsports Inc

AST Monotube Adjustable Dampers and Coilover Kits - Full Service Stocking Distributor
                    Swift Springs Master Distributor
                    JE Pistons Distributor
                    Schroth Safety Products Distributor
                    Motul Fluids Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      I started a thread in the group sales section with Conrad's permission as I will be importing these pans for sale in the US.

Thread: Cast DTM Oil Sump

Cheers.
                      That is correct, Jack will be my ONLY US BASED distributor for these oil pans (and a few other goodies which will follow!)

cheers Conrad
                      Last edited by conrod; 11-19-2009, 05:46 PM.
                      sigpic

www.m3motorsport.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                      X