Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recaro SPG Buying Info

Hey Guys,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this although I wanted to share my recent transaction with you to maybe help someone in the future. I recently sold my EVO replica interior to buy some Recaro SPG seats. I have had these seats in the past and loved them. So I started looking around some forums to see if I could find a set of used seats. I ended up finding some on VWVortex.com that were advertised as in new condition. I spoke to the seller and he said that one of the seat was new from Recaro in the plastic and the other seat was installed in the passenger side to see how it looked and to see if his wife liked it. He was asking $1,300 for the pair.

I asked him for pictures of the Recaro tags and he send them over and everything looked legit. I then decided to PayPal him the money and he shipped them to me. I picked them up yesterday and in my excitement I decided to sit in them. When I sat in them I noticed that they did not feel like my old SPG's so I sort of wrote it off not thinking much. I go them home and looked at them some more and noticed some little quality issues like foam peaking out between the seat and the cover and the cover not seeming to fit perfect. I then decided to do some research on knock off Recaro's.

After some research on various forums I found some ways to spot replica SPG's from the originals. Here is what I found:

The oversea's SPG's do have Recaro and FIA tags on them although there are slight differences. The name of the replica seat is misspelled on the FIA Sticker, it says "Profischals", but a real one says "Profischale". The kerning or letter-spacing between the R and O in RECARO is also different in the fake and real stickers.

Here is a pic of an actual SPG:

Here is a pic of a replica SPG:

Another way to tell, besides the overall quality being lower, is the way the fabric is on the back of the seat. Look at the line where the cloth comes down to the opening of two shoulder belt loops. The cloth is much closer to the openenings than the Replica in this example.

On my seat the cloth does go close to the openings but also look at the shoulder sides. The cloth seems to be bit wider on the fake. Here is another pic of that.

One thing I also noticed is the replica seats I received also have FIA tags on them BUT they are much smaller in comparison to the actual FIA tags. Take a look at the tag on the real seat compared to the Recaro tag. The look at the fake tags. The FIA tag on the replicas is smaller.

I did talk to the person I purchased these from and we are working it out and he is willing to take them back. I just wanted to post this here to help anyone looking for these seats. Good luck!!

Sam

Thanks for keeping us informed, Sam. Man, the knock offs are getting harder to distinguish nowaday. Even the Bride seats as well.
    '85 190e-16v Euro
    '88 M3
    '86 AE86 Trueno
    '63 Lotus 7 Repl Turbo
    '93 Merc 500e

Comment

Yea they are.... Kind of a bummer you have to find this stuff out the hard way sometimes...

Comment

Wow excellent info indeed..you sure are lucky that you dealt with a good seller who is willing to take back the seats..plenty of douchebag sellers out there
        sigpic

1988 Diamantschwarz/Black

Comment

Wow tough break - at least the seller is taking care of you.

sigpic

Comment

I did not know the SPG comes with Kevlar shell... I thought SPA (different shell shape altogether) is one that comes in Kevlar shell. Also, I have never seen any RECARO racing shell-seat with the logo on the back of the head...

Are you sure even the one on the left is a genuine?
            Last edited by ///Mous3; 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM.

Comment

You are correct, the carbon pictures are from SPA's not SPG's. I took those pictures from another thread that was discussing the differences. I have an email into Recaro as well to verify my findings.

Sam

Comment

But...

But the shell-shape of the seat with Kevlar shell is that of the SPG! The SPA shell has taller thigh support...

Originally posted by FRNTHVY View Post
                You are correct, the carbon pictures are from SPA's not SPG's. I took those pictures from another thread that was discussing the differences. I have an email into Recaro as well to verify my findings.

Sam

Comment

Here is the email response from Recaro when I asked them how he knew it was a replica:

"It was a number of things. I unfortunately cannot disclose what it was that gave it away for trademark reasons. I will say that the tags missing on the bottom of the seat was a contributing factor as was the design of the shell."

Sam

Comment

Im able to sell recaros and usually 50$ cheaper than the average price. I picked up some spg new for the same reason that the local craigslisters are savages. Happy buying and beware!

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mous3 View Post
                      But the shell-shape of the seat with Kevlar shell is that of the SPG! The SPA shell has taller thigh support...
                      This is correct. The SPA, SPA Pro Racer, & Profi have the higher thigh supports ( including HANS versions). From a quick look at Recaro website it seems the SPG has been replaced by the Pole Position. Although it could still be ordered.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...01374716QDLMrq

I use the SPA Pro Racer HANS (Kevlar) in my car. Take a look at the lower bolster section & how it parallels the floor. The SPA / Profi series hold your lower body much more securely than the SPG. The passenger seat is a SPG, but I don't have a pic handy.

I have heard that a Kevlar SPG was available, but I have never seen one.

Mike K.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K. View Post
                        I have heard that a Kevlar SPG was available, but I have never seen one.
                        If I were in the market and the seller shows me the above photos I would have assumed both were fakeies!

I would at least pull off the cover and see the edges of the shell because fakeies would most likely be not a true composite!

Comment

Are the belt openings plastic bolt-on? I used to have a pair and all the belt opening plastic are 2-piece bolt-on with 2 allen screws (very detail)

Wait, just found the fake with plastic belt opening bolt on. They are getting very good :(
                          http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...930258392.html
                          Last edited by d2a4; 04-03-2012, 02:48 AM.
                          Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                          Born date 01/88
                          Ryan

Comment

Working...
                          X