Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking Offers - 1990 BMW Factory DTM Inconel Headers, a Super Alloy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Offers - 1990 BMW Factory DTM Inconel Headers, a Super Alloy!

BMW Factory 1990 DTM 4 into 1 Inconel headers, a piece of BMW motor sport history. Marked 137/54 90, would have been off a 2.7L factory race engine that was raced in 1990. Headers had heat wrap on them, that left some marks on the headers. Asking $3000 obo...

Thanks,
    Shane

You should drop them off somewhere and have someone blast them nice and clean real quick.
    1988 E30 M3 S38
    1970 E10 2002 S14

Comment

Here's what they could potentially look like:
      Good luck with the sale....nice headers!
       photo CeramicDTMHeader.jpg
      Pat

Comment

Pat,
        If mine looked like that, they wouldn't be for sale! What process was used to get them that shiny? Any numbers on your piece?

Thanks,
        Shane

Comment

Looks like ceramic coating

Comment

Yes, they are ceramic coated in silver on the outside (similar to JetHot Coating) and the inside is also ceramic coated in a copper color. This keeps the engine bay much cooler and the exhaust gasses flowing faster (not that DTM headers need any more flow =)). I recommend doing this to any header.

Here's a shot on the inside coating. Bump for a very rare header. Also I didn't pay much attention to any numbers on the flanges. It's on the car now, so I'm not able to see anymore.

photo CeramicDTM_Inside.jpg
            Pat

Comment

Originally posted by m3pat2 View Post
              Yes, they are ceramic coated in silver on the outside (similar to JetHot Coating) and the inside is also ceramic coated in a copper color. This keeps the engine bay much cooler and the exhaust gasses flowing faster (not that DTM headers need any more flow =)). I recommend doing this to any header.

Here's a shot on the inside coating. Bump for a very rare header. Also I didn't pay much attention to any numbers on the flanges. It's on the car now, so I'm not able to see anymore.

photo CeramicDTM_Inside.jpg
              Pat, where did you get that work done?

Free bump for the DTM headers.
              "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
              "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
              onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Embee:

Looks like their site is down for maintenance for now.

http://www.embeeperformance.com/

My headers looked like the original poster's pics when I bought them. Embee does a great job cleaning and coating them.

I still can't believe how light inconel headers are compared to the stock S14 headers. I recall it was at least a 50% weight reduction if not more.
                Last edited by m3pat2; 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM.
                Pat

Comment

Originally posted by m3pat2 View Post
                  Embee:

My headers looked like the original poster's pics when I bought them. Embee does a great job cleaning and coating them.
                  Pat,

How does the chrome look after running the car?

Mike K.

Comment

Mike, first of all I didn't coat the header for looks as a primary reason, but more for reducting radiating heat, secondly it was for preserving the inconel metal.

The silver coating will age to a greyish aluminum color. Darker than the coolant pipe in the picture. Chrome would probably last longer and look better for a show car.

Here's the current look of the coating after being on the car for 3 yrs. and around 9,000 miles.
                     photo AgedCeramicHeaderCoating3yrs.jpg
                    Pat

Comment

Hi Shane! glad you were able to ID those!

Marshall
                      88 M3 Henna
                      95 M3 Orange
                      97 M3 Techno

Comment

Working...
                      X