• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon
    ::dedicated::
    • 12, 12, 2002

Rear roof cap (holy crap)

So I removed mine and noticed that while the piece isn't in bad shape, the rubber seals are shot, so I figured I'll just replace the entire piece. I look up the part number, see the price and think "surely, I typed that incorrectly." I try it again and sure enough, the goddamn thing is $220!!! Talk about ass rape.

Is there any chance somebody has one for sale in great shape - with all the seals intact? Color isn't important.

Here is a picture of mine. I'm thinking of just fabricating some kind of thin plastic solution for the ends and just cross my fingers and hope for the best on the two main seals. Jesus that's ridiculous pricing for a new unit.

Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
    1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
    2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com

• LeeVuong
    Gimme a brake
    • 10, 1, 2004

Hey Brandon. I am 99.99% sure that this rubber seal is just another industrial product that BMW buys by the roll. Chances are that you can find another source. Can you make a close-up picture showing the profile?

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

Comment

• BingM3
      Registered
      • 8, 7, 2003

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
      So I removed mine and noticed that while the piece isn't in bad shape, the rubber seals are shot, so I figured I'll just replace the entire piece. I look up the part number, see the price and think "surely, I typed that incorrectly." I try it again and sure enough, the goddamn thing is $220!!! Talk about ass rape.

Is there any chance somebody has one for sale in great shape - with all the seals intact? Color isn't important.

Here is a picture of mine. I'm thinking of just fabricating some kind of thin plastic solution for the ends and just cross my fingers and hope for the best on the two main seals. Jesus that's ridiculous pricing for a new unit.

Just put a clear silicone seal and it'll be better, wipe of any excess.

Comment

• BingM3
        Registered
        • 8, 7, 2003

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Just put a clear silicone seal over the rubber and wipe off any excess.

Comment

• Brandon
          ::dedicated::
          • 12, 12, 2002

Save for the discoloration, the seal strips are still quite pliable and intact. I'm just going to have to figure out a solution for the side squar-ish bits on either side. I'm thinking some kind of 1 mil flexible silicone will fit the bill.

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
          Hey Brandon. I am 99.99% sure that this rubber seal is just another industrial product that BMW buys by the roll. Chances are that you can find another source. Can you make a close-up picture showing the profile?
          Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
          1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
          2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
          http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

Working...
          X