Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Enthusiast Auto Group" experience

Hello all:

Haven't been here in a while and thought I'd ask if any of you have good/bad experiences with Enthusiast Auto Group ( http://enthusiastauto.com/) out of Cincinnatti, OH. The seem to have some really unique E30 M3's. I was even considering diving into a M3 w/ the s52 transplant. The head guy there emailed me and said that they have loads of experience w/ these transplants and seemed pretty confident that they would be trouble-free based on their experience. He said they usually buy a donor car and find a donor motor and will do the rest of the work to my specifications.

Not sure what to believe but I'm torn between the Mini Cooper S (R53 of course) and the E30 M3. I like the exclusivity of the M3. . .and leaning towards it. . . soon:wee: .

I guess I just don't have the knowledge on buying one of these used from a private seller and like the idea of having a car built the way I want it.

Any thoughts on this company or the s52 in the e30 would be very helpful to my decision. I've had 4cyl's most of my life and promised myself the next vehicle I get would get out of its own way. . .This transplant seems like the perfect option. . .

This is a can of worms kinda question. I'll set aside and leave it to the experts.

Comment

Check out this thread. Ultimately it's your choice, but....Personally, I'd keep the s14

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=332

Comment

I have both a R53 MINI Cooper S and a e30 M3 which I bought from Enthusiast Auto. As for the guys at Enthusiast Auto I had great dealings with them. My M3 has the S14 so I can't comment on the swap but i can on the MINI. This is my second MCS and it is by far the most fun street car I have ever owned. With a couple of simple mods you can completely change the character of the car for little money. 15% supercharger pulley, Alta Intake, Miltek Exhaust, ECU programming and a H-Sport Rear sway bar will give you a little rocket with over 200hp. The car is a beast on the track too with these simple mods a e30 M3 will have a tough time keeping up. The MINI and M3 definitely have one thing in common they are so easy to drive and push to the limit. The new R56s MINIs however have lost their soul and are kind of like the difference between the e30 and e36 M3s.

If you can get one of each, you will never regret it.

cheers

Amit
        '89 M3
        '11 1M
        '12 MINI JCW
        '89 325i (Chumpcar)
        www.electricpixel.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Wolke9 View Post
          Hello all:

Haven't been here in a while and thought I'd ask if any of you have good/bad experiences with Enthusiast Auto Group ( http://enthusiastauto.com/) out of Cincinnatti, OH. The seem to have some really unique E30 M3's. I was even considering diving into a M3 w/ the s52 transplant. The head guy there emailed me and said that they have loads of experience w/ these transplants and seemed pretty confident that they would be trouble-free based on their experience. He said they usually buy a donor car and find a donor motor and will do the rest of the work to my specifications.

Not sure what to believe but I'm torn between the Mini Cooper S (R53 of course) and the E30 M3. I like the exclusivity of the M3. . .and leaning towards it. . . soon:wee: .

I guess I just don't have the knowledge on buying one of these used from a private seller and like the idea of having a car built the way I want it.

Any thoughts on this company or the s52 in the e30 would be very helpful to my decision. I've had 4cyl's most of my life and promised myself the next vehicle I get would get out of its own way. . .This transplant seems like the perfect option. . .
          You can't sit here and honestly tell me that you have pushed the e30 M3 dressed up in 2.5 or higher or with goodies to the limit. If you have...you would never make a comment about "getting out of it's own way..."

On the other hand....there are atleast 20 other cars that I'd do a swap motor in before I did one to an e30 M3.

My guess is that you don't know how to handle the car at the limits...that is part of the mystique about the e30 M3. Spend your money on some instructing, track time etc before asking the chassis for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolke9 View Post
            Hello all:

Not sure what to believe but I'm torn between the Mini Cooper S (R53 of course) and the E30 M3.

I've had 4cyl's most of my life and promised myself the next vehicle I get would get out of its own way. . .This transplant seems like the perfect option. . .
            If you think R53 = MCS, then let me tell you S14 = M3.

In my chipped-only 2.3L S14, it was the E36 "M3's" that couldn't get out of my way.

-Dietrich
            first and last post in this thread.

Comment

I appreciate the input so far. . Obviously, this is a can of worms and I will leave well enough alone! I haven't driven E30 M3 because of their rarity and lack of individuals in my area that have one. I can only go by what I read and the specs for the car with the base 2.3l motor. Aside from reading a professional review, its hard to determine whats fact and whats somebody's version of fact when looking at the modified s14 motor. The stroked 2.5l seems like the way to go , though.

After further research, I would probably get a rebuilt 2.5l and massage it to my liking. I think ideally 230-240 rwhp would be a more than acceptable amount of power for the M3 chassis weight.

Do I have the experience with being on the track? Yes , I do. I've already had instruction and have been on Summitt Point several times. Once with a GTI Vr6 and other times with a Civic Si. Am I a semi-professional driver with years and years of SCCA and NASA experience. . . no I'm not. Is there room for more instruction? of course there is. . who doesn't need additional instruction.

My main point here is that I've had 4cyl all of my life and love the power and torque of the BMW inline 6's. The exclusivity and rarity of the E30 M3 coupled with its excellent handling dynamics made me think that this would be a great car for me with the 6cyl. That and the fact that it is RWD.

In regards to "CourtM3"--I read the entire thread. . excellent info--Thanks. I learned much. . . I wasn't able to find it under "transplant" search, though. .

DJAfactor. . . great info. . .The only thig holding me back is that it's FWD. . other than that you are spot on w/ the R53. . and I agree that the R56 has lost its soul. . .drives like every other dumbed down turbo 4 for the masses vehicle out there , I know . . .

Mflossin states: "You can't sit here and honestly tell me that you have pushed the e30 M3 dressed up in 2.5 or higher or with goodies to the limit. If you have...you would never make a comment about "getting out of it's own way...". . . I never claimed to have even driven the E30 M3. . I'm going by the specs of a base E30 M3 w/ the S14 putting down 0-60 times of (from what I've read)7.1-7.4 sec straight line acceleration. . . .there are only so many on/off ramps that you can drive on in a day. If I was able to track the car every day I wouldn't be as concerned with 0-60 times. .

You are right again :wee: I don't know how to handle THIS car at the limits YET. . .any previous car I have owned was put at its limit or further on the track. . .I know you have to rev the stink out of the s14 to get into the meat of the powerband just like any Honda. . .I've been driving long enough with 4cyl power/weight ratios that I'm more than capable and ready to increase the power portion of that equation. . .The only exception I can think of is the Lotus Elise/Exige. . .haven't driven that car yet. .

Dietrich. . . Seems to make sense to me. . .I would probably end up building up the R53 as well to make it 200-210fwhp. . .

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and in the end I'm going to make an educated decision based on what I read here and in other forums on what vehicle to pursue. Their is a specific reason I like the E30 M3 and it's not because I'm a badge whore. . .There aren't any electronic "nannies" and, at the time, it was the perfect balance between power, handling, and seat of the pants driving feel. 20 years later, it's the car that any/all driving purists should look for. They don't make cars like this anymore and that is why I am so interested.

I will continue to do more research and learn from others experiences here. . .

Last edited by Wolke9; 12-09-2007, 04:41 AM.

Comment

I just bought the red s52 car from eric at enthusiast auto. I have had great conversations and details from eric. I live in denver and have been out of town since i bought the car. I finally received it yesterday. Its everything I have ever wanted out of an e30. I have bought and had many different cars and EA was a since to deal with. If you have questions you can email me [email protected]
                sigpic

Comment

That's good to hear. Post some pictures soon.

One good thing about Enthusiast auto is that they are definitely helping to increase the value of these cars.

Comment

I know Evan (Eric's brother and business partner) pretty well. Good guys and they have a cool collection of cars and usually have a handful of E30 M3s on hand. Their service dept. has only been around for a little while and used to only have one tech up until about a year ago. They have grown since, but I'd say they probably haven't done "loads" of these swaps but have done a few.

That being said...stick with the S14.
                    Last edited by dhabes; 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM.

Comment

They are doing the swaps themselves? interesting. I figured they were resellers only. Guess that explains the price tag.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

what you really need to do is to drive the s14 engined car and the swapped car back to back to see the difference, then you'll be ble to decide which one you like better.
                        I drive the 07 Turbocharged Mini S few times a week, it's a lot of fun, I love it but it will NEVER be able to do what the e30 M3 can do at the track. From my 'limited' track experience, I am yet to be passed by the FWD car

Comment

Originally posted by vlad View Post
                          From my 'limited' track experience, I am yet to be passed by the FWD car
                          Vlad don't be modest we all saw the vid with the supercharged porsche!! I was impressed...

Comment

Originally posted by MTree View Post
                            Vlad don't be modest we all saw the vid with the supercharged porsche!! I was impressed...
                            If you knew (or have driven with) the owner of that Porsche, you would understand. Not that Vlad's a bad driver, or that his car is anywhere near "slow", but let's just say that Porsche gets driven at 5/10ths.

Christopher
                            Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by WBSAK03 View Post
                              If you knew (or have driven with) the owner of that Porsche, you would understand. Not that Vlad's a bad driver, or that his car is anywhere near "slow", but let's just say that Porsche gets driven at 5/10ths.

Christopher
                              LOL.. ok..ok.. what about your black car, say 7/10th ? [peace]

Comment

Working...
                              X