Before I name any names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before I name any names

Before I name any names, I wanted to get the consensus of the members here to see what I should do if you were in my shoes...

I purchased an item from another member for $400.00 on February 15, 2012, which was almost a month ago and it still has not arrived. He said it shipped February 24, 2012 (from NC to CA) and has yet to provide me with a tracking number. He said that he had his friend / the shop where his car is ship the item and it was shipped via USPS. The item has not arrived and he has still not been able to give me a tracking number. I have given him plenty of time and chances to get the tracking number or some hard proof that this item has actually shipped or is in route. As far as I am concerned the item is not going to arrive and it has come to a point that I have requested a refund. I did not want to go down the Paypal claims road, or bash him all over the forums; I wanted to handled this civilly. He is now refusing to refund me because he doesn't know where his item is and has since spent the money (which isn't my problem).

Should I initiate a Paypal claim? Should I give him a little bit more time?

Thanks,
    Mike

unfortunately some times people don't do the right thing till they are called out on it.
    sucks man looks like you will need to post on forums about him .
    I have a buddy local to me who really getting screwed and taken advantage of by a well know shop here in California.I really feel for the guy I would go tow my car home and post a thread about that shop if I was him but after 19 months the shop having his car he still has not done It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know I would never do business with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    His little buddy partner is on here all the time they know who they are and hope the read this and get their shit together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have dyslexia so most the time my writing and spelling looks okay to me

Comment

Please do not wait any longer!!!!! File NOW. If you wait and let him troll you till the 90 days, he wins. So just do it and let him resolve his issues with paypal.

Comment

Originally posted by STAGGEREDM3 View Post
        Please do not wait any longer!!!!! File NOW. If you wait and let him troll you till the 90 days, he wins. So just do it and let him resolve his issues with paypal.
        Exactly. File now and let him sort it out.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E30 325is / E30 318i / E36 ti / Alfa Romeo

Comment

definitely file a dispute.

The only part of his story that might sound legitimate is that USPS doesn't do tracking numbers. If you buy delivery confirmation, they will give you number, but it's not a nice tracking number like UPS or Fedex. NC to CA should take a max of 10 days even if shipped parcel post (cheapest).

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
          they are not idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
            definitely file a dispute.

The only part of his story that might sound legitimate is that USPS doesn't do tracking numbers. If you buy delivery confirmation, they will give you number, but it's not a nice tracking number like UPS or Fedex. NC to CA should take a max of 10 days even if shipped parcel post (cheapest).
            If someone shipped a $400 package without a tracking number (and USPS actually does rudimentary tracking these days), then they deserve what they get.

File the damned claim now. Be warned that the ONLY protection that you have as a buyer is whether or not the guy can show a tracking number, or doing a chargeback through your credit card company.
            2011 BMW M3 Alpinweiß
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD
            1990 325is Brilliantrot

1989 M3 Alpinweiß
            Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
            Hers: 1989 325iX Zinnoberrot

Comment

was this the sale for the Startecs? I would file with paypal ASAP
              I Find your lack of faith disturbing"

"Objects in my rearview are losing"

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Mike. For a $400 part, not only would I expect a tracking number, but I would expect the seller have enough sense to ship it via ups or fed-ex to provide both parties piece of mind with real-time tracking.

File the claim and get your money back - you've given this guy more than enough time.

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  If someone shipped a $400 package without a tracking number (and USPS actually does rudimentary tracking these days), then they deserve what they get.
                  Just for the record, I am in no way trying to defend the shitty seller.

Originally posted by c_tejuco View Post
                  Sorry to hear this, Mike. For a $400 part, not only would I expect a tracking number, but I would expect the seller have enough sense to ship it via ups or fed-ex to provide both parties piece of mind with real-time tracking.

File the claim and get your money back - you've given this guy more than enough time.
                  For what it's worth, for 5 years I shipped out or had shipped to me hundreds (if not thousands) of packages through the post office, and the only time I EVER had a problem was when I returned a defective UUC part back to UUC... apparently the shipping department never received the box.

Again, not trying to defend the seller, but don't bash the post office. The problem here is not them.

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                  they are not idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    Just for the record, I am in no way trying to defend the shitty seller.

For what it's worth, for 5 years I shipped out or had shipped to me hundreds (if not thousands) of packages through the post office, and the only time I EVER had a problem was when I returned a defective UUC part back to UUC... apparently the shipping department never received the box.

Again, not trying to defend the seller, but don't bash the post office. The problem here is not them.
                    Point taken, but my focus was not to bash the post office - it was to point out that their tracking system is something to be desired vs tracking options provided by other parties. Given the expensive nature of the part, and the fact that it is coming from an individual vs a known entity (ala uuc), shipping with the ability to track real-time could have provided much more clarity to this situation for both parties.

At the end of it all, I just hope the buyer gets his money back.

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback thus far. I was really trying to handle things civilly without getting paypal involved or even writing anything on the site and giving him the opportunity to make things right. I initiated a claim with Paypal and we will see where it goes from there.

For the record, at this point, I don't think the seller had any ill intentions, but has been cursed with some bad luck on this one. If anything he made a poor decision with whom he trusted to ship out a $400 item blindly without any tracking number or proof of shipment and had the money spent before he even got it. He has maintained good contact via text messages and phone calls, but I am just to a point where we are going around in circles. I shouldn't have to wait almost 4 weeks for a tracking number when the item shipped. It is not about the time from when I bought it, but rather the time it has been in shipping without any form of proof of it being shipped.

As it stands, if you had a friend / shop ship something for you, then couldn't produce any form of shipment, and it was not on the guys door step in a reasonable amount of time (lets say 3 weeks), would you refund him the money? Without having to go through all the rigamarole with Paypal, etc.

Mike

Comment

He may be the best guy in the world and have the best intentions....that does not change the fact that you are out the $$ and have nothing in return.
                        You do not need to a be a partner in HIS misfortunes.
                        And thats exactly what it is, his problem. you file the pp dispute then its up to him to resolve it not you. You've done your part.

Comment

Mike,

I would leave the lack of a tracking number out of it. It has no bearing on this. USPS does not provide a tracking number. Obviously he can't provide one if it doesn't exist.

He shipped it on 24 Feb. I'd give it until 24 Mar and then file a claim with Paypal.

Jake

Comment

I had lots tracking numbers from usps it cost 80 cents more.
                            I have dyslexia so most the time my writing and spelling looks okay to me

Comment

If he gives the seller until the 24th his 30-day day paypal dispute period will be over as he paid on the 15th which is only 2-days away.

Also the USPS offers delivery confirmation notice not so much actual parcel tracking.

Doing the paypal dispute was the right move in this case at this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X