Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver Bullet E30 M3 Track Car Build Thread- Seeking Tips and Suggestions from you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Bullet E30 M3 Track Car Build Thread- Seeking Tips and Suggestions from you

So some of you saw my post about wondering how to go about purchased a race car. I ended up buying it, sans the S14 Motec dogleg drivetrain. I just temporarily named it Silve Bullet due to nice new silver paint. It is indeed a head to toe designed hardcore track car, all panels cf or fg, massive cage almost full tube chasis. Custom massive front and rear BBK kit barely clearing the phatty Kinesis K57 wheels. is a probably 90% complete project with the exception of needing a drivetrain, nad basic wiring and system connection.. My goal is good horsepower with good handling and adding lightness, plus reliability and reasonable cost. I was thinking s50/s52 due to my plethora of parts that I already have that I could use. Pretty sure most of it would work but still have to figure it out: OEM euro oil filter housing with OEM E36 euro oil cooler, crazy baffled euro S50 oil pan, Vac IP dominator cams w/ solid lifter kit and injectors. For starts I'll try to get some pics up and list the bits and pieces I'm looking for at the moment. I would like to keep it in line with current race and safety standards but that is not essential, just auto x and hpde would be good for dialing it in.

-I have a glass windshield but would prefer lexan, where's a good cheap option, also need front windshield install gaskets/seals

-What considerations would there be for using an S50/52 with the parts mentioned? Would a euro s50 oil pan even fit an E30 front subframe?

-Right now car has custom bilstein coilovers on front and inverted tube rear bilstein coilover connected to frame, not using rsm. Should I run both front and rear strut bars or just front?

-Looking for some lightweight mirrors for the carbon fiber door sheels, (needs to be real light) adjustable preferred.

-I need to construct some kind of barrier wall between cabin and fuel cell in trunk, where can I look for ways to make it safe and legit for tracks?
    -Might be interested in Evo Wing sport flap that is bigger
    -What other general things will I need to start collecting?

Let me know your thoughts. This thread will go at a snails pace as I slowly figure out plans then accumulate parts then get to putting everything together, please be patient, I appreciate your help. I'm gonna start with some pics of the parts I have on my computer, still need to load pics from my phone for sharing, up soon.

Here's a few pics of what I'm working with.

Comment

Nice looking shell! Almost sort of a blank canvas to make your own.

Hard to tell from the pictures but the cage looks well done and the other general fab work looks to be high quality as well.

Do you mind saying what a shell in that state goes for? If you would rather not I understand....I'm just always curious about track car values as they seem to fluctuate so much.

BTW, are you sure you really want a Lexan windshield? Every one of those I have ever seen that has been used...at all...was so badly scratched that I would have hated to drive with it. Not so much an issue with the side and rear windows....but for the windshield I would stay with glass.

I will definitely be watching your thread with interest.
      Last edited by Ironhead; 06-02-2016, 02:59 AM.

Comment

I like that last photo! I've seen a million photos of cars from every angle possible, but that is a new one.
        1989 Lachs
        1988 Lachs - sold
        1988 DS - sold
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Keeping purchase details private, sorry. An opportunity presented itself and i had no choice but to jump on it. Definitely lots of workmanship and time in the car, i want to maintain that level of quality with what i do. I have a spare glass windshield but i thought i could keep that as a spare for the street m3. How much do replacement windshields go for anyway? That last shot is through the kidneys. Has plenty of room and widened tunnel and you can still see the shortened e30 m3 driveshaft just waiting to swallow the right engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
            Nice looking shell! Almost sort of a blank canvas to make your own.

Hard to tell from the pictures but the cage looks well done and the other general fab work looks to be high quality as well.

Do you mind saying what a shell in that state goes for? If you would rather not I understand....I'm just always curious about track car values as they seem to fluctuate so much.

BTW, are you sure you really want a Lexan windshield? Every one of those I have ever seen that has been used...at all...was so badly scratched that I would have hated to drive with it. Not so much an issue with the side and rear windows....but for the windshield I would stay with glass.

I will definitely be watching your thread with interest.
            Looks like this car to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/111860760018?vxp=mtr

Comment

👆 this guy might be right It does look like the same car!

Comment

Nice shell. Looks like lots of work went into the build. It should be a fun track car. An s14 would do just fine IMO

Looking at the cage work, I don't think strut bars are needed, esp at the rear.

Enjoy.

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

go to face book and buy mine!!!
                    " I must be a terrible driver, all the bugs are on the side of my car"

Comment

This was my friends old car. I watched it slowly progress and then he met a girl.....We know how the story ends.
                      Dan

88 M3
                      Black on Black

San Diego, CA
                      USA

Comment

Originally posted by 99M3Riverside View Post
                        This was my friends old car. I watched it slowly progress and then he met a girl.....We know how the story ends.
                        Haha, yeah probably about 75% of the cars and stuff I have bought has been because "the wife won't let me keep it".
                        I haven't done anything to the car I have just been accumulating various parts. I'm hoping to get to working on it in December. I think I already mentioned I will be doing a fully built NA S50/S52. My current question at the moment is in regards to exhaust manifolds. I can get a euro s50 manifold for a good price at the moment, so I am wondering about getting it. You can see in the pic that the tunnel has been banged out a bit for clearance. Would the euro header fit ok and would it be a good choice for a cammed NA? Only other options I can think of are the S52 manifold, or long tubes or shorties. What do you guys think?

Comment

I almost bought this car numerous times. The fact that the motor was built like 8-9 years ago and never fired scared me off. Let me know how that motor ends up.
                          1988 BMW M3 Alpine/Black
                          1988 BMW M3 DS/Grey
                          1989 BMW M3 Zinno/Tan
                          1989 BMW M3 Brilliant/Track
                          1990 BMW M3 Alpine/Black

Comment

With the semi tube frame chassis, strut bars, front or rear are probably irrelevant. I would start looking on racecar builds for ideas on creating a rear firewall. Then get input from the experts on the legality and safety.

Comment

More time has passed and haven't seen the car since I stashed it but I have made progress on thinning the quiver and getting a cover on the side yard so I can get it home and work on it. I had been thinking about an S50/S52 mainly because I already had lots of parts for it that I could use. Lately I've been thinking about maybe an S54. Out of the box it would have more hp than any s50/s52 that I could spend a bunch of money on to maybe hit 300hp, and doesn't weigh too much more. I could also sell all the parts I had and pretty much pay for an S54 and light rebuild, so seems like it would even be more cost effective.

Comment

Working...
                              X