Anybody still do track days?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
    It also doesn't really make a ton of sense to compare a fully race prepped car to a stock model off the showroom floor.

Imagine what a modern DTM M3/M4 would do to a DTM E30M3, for example.
    Well, with the DTM E30, for me part of the coolness is that it is based on a production chassis. The DTM M4 probably shares a few fasteners with the roadgoing M4 but the chassis is full monocoque carbon composite, the suspension is pushrod in front and rear, and the curb weight is sub 2500 lbs with driver.

There was a video a few years ago with the E92 DTM car and the E30 M3 and the E30 was given a 23 second head start and I don't remember how many laps it took to overtake but it probably wasn't that many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68TDr3GjBZs

Comment

Yeah...I think modern DTM cars are more sophisticated than F1 cars, particularly in terms of electronics.

That is one of the main reason I think most modern racing sucks. The links to the actual productions cars are non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
        Yeah...I think modern DTM cars are more sophisticated than F1 cars, particularly in terms of electronics.

That is one of the main reason I think most modern racing sucks. The links to the actual productions cars are non-existent.

except maybe production based racing that uses factory body in whites. the link between street and race car is very close

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/A...ubsport/613403

think porsche gt4 cayman/gt3 911 or miata global mx5 cup

good track cars still hold the same principles today as they did 32 years ago when the e30 m3 was introduced, namely light and nimble with good power
        95' Avus Blue M3

06' Black Cayman S

07' Raven Black Escalade

Member of the Amber Corner Club

Comment

Originally posted by bmw_e30 View Post

except maybe production based racing that uses factory body in whites. the link between street and race car is very close

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/A...ubsport/613403

think porsche gt4 cayman/gt3 911 or miata global mx5 cup

good track cars still hold the same principles today as they did 32 years ago when the e30 m3 was introduced, namely light and nimble with good power
          Agreed...that's why I qualified it by saying "most" modern racing sucks. Some of the touring car series are still pretty cool, and genuinely production based, but I rarely see much of it televised. I kind of enjoy FIA rally events as well.

But I think series like DTM and Trans Am, that once used production based cars, have seriously lost their way. And I am not sure why, but F1 and the assorted prototype sports car events bore the crap outta me. I would rather watch bowling.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post

Well, with the DTM E30, for me part of the coolness is that it is based on a production chassis. The DTM M4 probably shares a few fasteners with the roadgoing M4 but the chassis is full monocoque carbon composite, the suspension is pushrod in front and rear, and the curb weight is sub 2500 lbs with driver.

There was a video a few years ago with the E92 DTM car and the E30 M3 and the E30 was given a 23 second head start and I don't remember how many laps it took to overtake but it probably wasn't that many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68TDr3GjBZs
            The M4 DTM looks like it;'s playing with it's food in that video.
            sigpic
            2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
            2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
            2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
            2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
            2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

I'm going to comment here instead of opening up a whole new thread. I've done some searching, many of the threads are outdated with expired information, photos, or both. The 'game' has also changed a bit for these cars so the advice may be different today (some parts no longer available, etc).

If I decide to take my car out on the track, what are my basic steps for vehicle prep? Fresh brake hardware, high-temperature fluids, oil filled to the max, what else do these cars need? I have a Turner oil pan baffle in the mix.

What changes if I decide to step up from "once in a while" track days to consistent days? What weak points might develop? With an S14 rebuild costing what it does, what extra steps should be taken and what parameters should be watched for maximum health?
              1988 Lachs
              1988 DS - sold
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

I would consider a front and rear sway bar reinforcement kit. All the big BMW suppliers sell a kit. If it's your first school no rush, but as you get faster this should be done. Might consider something other than stock pads. Some pads will ruin your wheels if it rains, so check out what they are made out of. I would just check engine oil level after each session and not worry about it.

Now, Thunderbolt, NJ in June we had 3 M3's in the race and this past weekend at Summit Point I was the only one racing in M3T and I saw one e30 M3 in the driving school. Good news is I won my class!! bad news is I was severely out powered although my car is not built to the limits of the class yet. One race in the rain I moved up 11 positions without pushing (I only had to finish to win). In the dry my ABS light came on, I rarely feel it so figured I was good but braking after the chute I saw huge amounts of smoke from the rear tires and then a thump, thump, thump so guess I do use ABS. Will try checking sensors first, the light went out after a restart.
                David Hellman

Comment

Honestly I think some of the best "insurance" to use on track, put in a half tank or so of 100 octane unleaded, then top off with 91 or 93 (whichever you can get in your area). Yes it is a bit pricey, but when S14s blow it is often detonation that causes it. You will never hear detonation on track, and the good gas provides a bit of insurance that some imperfect running condition of the engine is less likely to be fatal.

And check your oil after every session. My prior build never used any oil on the street, but on track it could use a half quart or more in one track day.

Comment

For the price of entry level data systems ($500-1000), I'd consider adding one to improve driver performance and monitor engine health (oil/fuel pressure, WBO2). I've started playing around with this open source HW (think Megasquirt for DAQ systems).

https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecapture_mk3_apex/

And there's room to simplify the inputs via CAN if you go to a stand alone EMS and/or add a more modern ABS (eg Teves mk60).

Comment

It's crazy, that I see more track cars in Newcombs Ranch (ACH) best canyon ever! than i see around the LA area tracks LOL! This past few Sundays, I've cup Porsches and Full track/Race BMW's....I'm kinda digging it actually. Reminds me of the Ol'Boy racer, but NOW with MONEY TO PLAY WITH!!

Comment

Working...
                      X