No announcement yet.

Fuel cell options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just went through this fuel cell Install. For a racing organization to allow it to be non fully enclosed like that is improbable, you are lucky to have passed tech. I like the cover you made, no question, but it won’t fly in either of the 3 organizations I reviewed the GCR for prior to Install.

Comment

Bumping an old thread.
      installing a well cell like this.
      But I find it very loose in the well, is there any kind of foam that could be used to secure around the cell... in the well.
      -needs to be legal..

Comment

Originally posted by nilsp View Post
        Bumping an old thread.
        installing a well cell like this.
        But I find it very loose in the well, is there any kind of foam that could be used to secure around the cell... in the well.
        -needs to be legal..
        You need to make a "hat box" cover for it and then fasten that cover to the trunk floor (well at least thats what I did). Mine needed to be .090 if made from aluminum for SCCA which is exactly what we did. Its basically a perfect slip cover for the cell with 4 "legs" coming off of it at apron 2:00, 4:00, 8:00 and 10:00. They are aluminum flat stock level with the trunk floor. They bolt to the trunk floor.
        I had loads of pictures of mine, I cant find a single one. Seems whenever I transferred my photos from iPhoto to Photos I lost a bunch of pictures.
        If you need I can take a few new ones and email them
        Last edited by jimmy p.; 12-18-2020, 04:43 PM.
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

You need to make a "hat box" cover for it and then fasten that cover to the trunk floor (well at least thats what I did). Mine needed to be .090 if made from aluminum for SCCA which is exactly what we did. Its basically a perfect slip cover for the cell with 4 "legs" coming off of it at apron 2:00, 4:00, 8:00 and 10:00. They are aluminum flat stock level with the trunk floor. They bolt to the trunk floor.
          I had loads of pictures of mine, I cant find a single one. Seems whenever I transferred my photos from iPhoto to Photos I lost a bunch of pictures.
          If you need I can take a few new ones and email them
          Thanks Jimmy., would appreciate that.
          I have also the old grA linder cover, but thats a 120 l big cell that cant be used, and a bad fit to cover this cell.

My mail;
          [email protected]

thx a lot!
          Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3F09AD47-E53C-46FB-87E9-A01FCF4430B7.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	1296652 I copied Jimmy’s design and it works quite well. I have a surge tank mounted under the passenger bench where the old tank used to be and I can run this setup dry. I digitized the top hat design and had mine cut on a waterjet. If you have the same ATL cell and want the file send me your email address and I’ll send it over

Dave

Comment

Here is the write-up from Gustav's site:

Fuel Cell Installation - Page 1 (e30sport.net)
              1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner10702 View Post
                Here is the write-up from Gustav's site:

Fuel Cell Installation - Page 1 (e30sport.net)
                That was mine, from when I first did it, when I was just doing DEs and Time Trials. Since then I have fabricated an enclosure like Dave posted to make it legal for racing. Since then I have also rewired and replumbed the whole car. The filter and pump situation is slightly different.
                I'll post some new pictures (damn those are old LOL).
                Last edited by jimmy p.; 12-21-2020, 05:37 AM.
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	3F09AD47-E53C-46FB-87E9-A01FCF4430B7.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	373.5 KB ID:	1296652 I copied Jimmy’s design and it works quite well. I have a surge tank mounted under the passenger bench where the old tank used to be and I can run this setup dry. I digitized the top hat design and had mine cut on a waterjet. If you have the same ATL cell and want the file send me your email address and I’ll send it over

Dave
                  My cell is likely the same, and such a cover plate should be good stuff!
                  Since my car had the linder stuff, which had a small surge pot below the original tank and actually underneath the wheel well, I opted to have a cell with bottom rear outlets.
                  Then I will use a lift pump from under car to feed the pumps which were in the battery compartment.
                  If this will not work, a surge pot between will be the solution.
                  Would appreciate the file.. thanks!
                  [email protected]

Edit.. one thing I wonder with these cells installing.. any kind of foam plates/padding to use to protect the sides etc?

NilsP

Comment

No foam or padding in mind. I had the top piece cut and then I set the cell on the floor, piece on top and measured the height. I think it was about 7-8" and I had an aluminum welding friend weld the skirt around the perimeter for me. From there I completed what you see.

It's simple

ATL Black box in tank --> Facet lifter pump
                    Facet pump --> fuel filter
                    Fuel filter -->. Surge tank (1.5L tank with an internal Bosch 044 fuel pump).
                    Surge Tank --> fuel rail
                    Return line --> surge tank
                    Surge tank overflow --> fuel cell (with the return line zip tied right into the pickup line inside the ATL Black box).

The whole setup is pretty slick and I used Aeroquip push to fit hose for almost the entire thing. No leaks, no drama and I'm running 5bar FPR now without an issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X