E30 M3 on Daytona Track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 M3 on Daytona Track

Has anyone driven their car on Daytona? Is there any oiling problems with the S-14 on the banking? Mine has a oil pan baffle but am wondering if that is enough. Please let
    me know. Interested in trying a school there but don't want to blow the motor. Thanks for any info.

Additionally, it's always recommended to raise tire pressure and reduce camber at banked/high load tracks.

For reference, this is what Hoosier recommends,

Banked Oval / Road Courses

Hoosier DOT radials are not intended for high banked super speedway or high speed and banked tracks like Watkins Glen International, however on these type of course configurations with the proper settings the tires can be used. In these situations, the loaded side tires should be elevated five (5) psi cold and hot above the normal road course pressure recommendations. Camber settings should be reduced to or below -2.0 degrees.

Comment

Filling the engine with oil past the full level until the first bend on the dipstick is also recommended and is where I leave mine after changing the oil, I don't have any experience with banked ovals but it does sound like a lot of fun and you have the baffle and over fill it with oil there is not much more that you could do other than donít push it to hard on the corners.

E30 M3 1987
      Mini Clubman GT
      BMW E36 323 Msport
      Toyota Corona
      KTM 200EXC
      Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

I drove on Charlotte many moons ago with a GC coiler setup and stock weight car with street tires. the only issue I had was that the suspension would be fully loaded in the high banked turns and any bumps or dips in the track would start sending it towards the wall.......

make sure you look out you driver window over the mirror!! its a hell of a ride!!

T

Comment

Originally posted by bmwcaw View Post
          Has anyone driven their car on Daytona? Is there any oiling problems with the S-14 on the banking? Mine has a oil pan baffle but am wondering if that is enough. Please let
          me know. Interested in trying a school there but don't want to blow the motor. Thanks for any info.
          I have, put the car on pole at the Runoffs in 2015, but my car is fully dry sumped. If you run a horizontal oil pan baffle you should be fine. If you want more info I'm happy to share, but I never check in here or pms here anymore, find me on facebook ericheinrich
          sigpic
          2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
          2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
          2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
          2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
          2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Additionally, it's always recommended to raise tire pressure and reduce camber at banked/high load tracks.

For reference, this is what Hoosier recommends,

Banked Oval / Road Courses

Hoosier DOT radials are not intended for high banked super speedway or high speed and banked tracks like Watkins Glen International, however on these type of course configurations with the proper settings the tires can be used. In these situations, the loaded side tires should be elevated five (5) psi cold and hot above the normal road course pressure recommendations. Camber settings should be reduced to or below -2.0 degrees.
            This is valid, but more so for high power heavier cars. The most important thing is to get the tires up to proper temp and pressure before going fast on the banking, or you will cause internal nonvisible damage to the plys. This is why you see racecars blowing out the RR tire on the 3rd or 4th lap .

I think I set my car at 2.5 degrees negative front and 2.0 rear, and zero toe, normally I run 3.0F and 2.5R, with 2mm toe out in F.
            sigpic
            2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
            2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
            2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
            2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
            2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Working...
            X