Fuel cell advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel cell advice

Hi there, I’m looking to switch over to a fuel cell on the M3 and am looking for recommendations and tips as to what cells are the ones to go for. Particularly looking for simplicity and a cell that fits straight into the wheel well. Thanks

ATL well cell

Comment

For simplicity and ease of installations I feel you cant beat the ATL Well Cell. It fits almost like it was made to go in the car. No cutting, no welding, drops right in, make a hat box for it and your are done.
      Mine is 12 Gallons, and its pretty close to what and where the factory did the cells on the Gruppe A cars. Almost identical to my Prodrive BTCC execution (Prodrive used a Premier cell that is softer sided but same exact idea).

The only downside is if you need larger fuel capacity, the Well Cells only come in 8 and 12 gallons.
      I had pictures of mine in my gallery here, but I think the galleries went away. In any case if you want pics I can email them to you.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Thanks for your replies much appreciated. Jimmy P. I will pm you my email if you could forward some pics that would be great.

Comment

I have pics too, I copied Jimmy’s setup for the most part and it works well. We executed a few things differently but both have the same result.

Comment

ATL now makes a 16 gallon version. Actually extends outside of the well
            https://pitstopusa.com/i-23978512-at...t-fia-ft3.html

Comment

that's interesting, I like the setup. With the 12g well cell I achieved virtually perfect 50/50 cross weight balance when corner balancing my car. The additional fuel would be great for longer enduros but for typical 25-40minute sprint races you have more than you need from a 12 gallon

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                that's interesting, I like the setup. With the 12g well cell I achieved virtually perfect 50/50 cross weight balance when corner balancing my car. The additional fuel would be great for longer enduros but for typical 25-40minute sprint races you have more than you need from a 12 gallon
                Yeah will greatly depend on your racing needs.
                For the sprint races we do with SCCA and a 2.3 litre engine, Im usually short filling the 12 gallon, for what I do I probably could have gone with an 8 gallon.
                The most notable thing I see with the new 16 is that shape of the 16 gallon would greatly complicate making an enclosure for that version of the cell if a sanctioning body requires one.
                The 8 & 12 gallons basically allow a slip cover "hat box" style enclosure, very easy to do and live with for servicing.
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post

Yeah will greatly depend on your racing needs.
                  For the sprint races we do with SCCA and a 2.3 litre engine, Im usually short filling the 12 gallon, for what I do I probably could have gone with an 8 gallon.
                  The most notable thing I see with the new 16 is that shape of the 16 gallon would greatly complicate making an enclosure for that version of the cell if a sanctioning body requires one.
                  The 8 & 12 gallons basically allow a slip cover "hat box" style enclosure, very easy to do and live with for servicing.
                  Looks to me like the rectangular shape comes up and sits on the trunk floor and you would just have to make a rectangular hat for that area and the rest is protected by the spare tires well. I'm not sure it's so difficult to enclose, but of course until it is fit into the space it's just a guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X