Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual-purpose street/track 17" wheels

Hey-

I am thinking about downsizing from 3 sets of wheels (stock, style 5, SSR comp 15X7) to 1 set of 17's for a street/DE car. I'd like them to meet the following criteria:
    1) light weight
    2) used WCTC 235/40/17s RA1s must fit
    3) clearance for Lee's smaller BBK
    4) Good looking
    5) <$500 each (new; or preferably used for less)

Currently, none of my wheels meet all these criteria so I've been on the search. Team Dynamics and Koseis don't really do it for me looks-wise. LTW-5s are a maybe looks-wise. I'm leaning toward BBS RGR or RC if I can find them.

Any other suggestions?
    Also, would 17X8.5 or 17X8s be better for this size RA1 rubber?
    Would 17X8.5s fit without removing fender liners?

Please don't give me the smack down for not searching, as I have. Most dedicated track cars use 15's and those interested in looks primarily aren't as concerned about weight as I am, I don't think.

TIY,
    M
    Mark

"She'll hold together. Hear me, baby? Hold together!" -- Han

Tire Rack has SSRs in 17x8 (maybe 8.5's) under e36 fitment for $399 each. I've run them with a 15mm spacer and they clear my Porsche big brakes. I also run them with 20mm spacers.

Running 235/40-17 Toyos for tire.

Nick

Comment

Ever bent one? That's my concern with SSRs. Definitely worth considering though.
      Mark

Comment

I really wish the BBS CH's were lighter, but at 22.5lbs I still consider them on the heavy side. However I'm not sure what your version of light is so I thought I'd throw them out there. Tire Rack has them for $412 each in 17 X 8.5 ET15.

Also, I'm not sure what offset you're after, or what you find acceptible, but I think ET15 is ideal. May need to remove the wheel well liners though; something which I also think is fine.

RGR's are expensive. I have a set on my E30 (320is) and they are light (18.1lbs 17X8.5ET15) no doubt about it. But at $583 from Tire Rack, they are a bit much for track use IMO. And unless you buy E36 offset (ET40) and space them out you won't have clearance for a BBK.

RC's are a good choice I think. Tire Rack isn't listing them at the moment so I'm not sure how much they weigh or cost. But I do know of one person running 17X8.5 RC's spaced out to clear their BBK. I'm not a fan of the looks though.

I use Team Dynamics wheels for the track. Excellant brake clearance and very cheap. I agree though, I'm not much for the looks either. And if you don't like K1's well then... I'm not sure if there are any other choices that fit your requirements.

Hope this helps somewhat.
        Jake

Comment

I used to run E34 M5 throwing stars without the covers. They look purposeful, are relatively light (maybe not light enough for your purposes, about 20lbs), are quite strong, and they will fit 235/40/17 tires easily, and they will most likely clear Lee's BBK as they cleared my old BBK. If they don't clear, they are ET20 so you could run a 5mm spacer to gain some extra clearance. Gotta get the forged ones though, the cast ones are bulky.
          1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Originally posted by project86 View Post
            I used to run E34 M5 throwing stars without the covers. They look purposeful, are relatively light (maybe not light enough for your purposes, about 20lbs), are quite strong, and they will fit 235/40/17 tires easily, and they will most likely clear Lee's BBK as they cleared my old BBK. If they don't clear, they are ET20 so you could run a 5mm spacer to gain some extra clearance. Gotta get the forged ones though, the cast ones are bulky.
            What BBK did you have? Where they sliding caliper type? I highly doubt they will fit over any fixed caliper BBK.

Jake

Comment

Team Dynamic's Pro Race wheels in 17" x 8" will indeed clear any BBK with 13" x 1.25" rotors. Even those with extra large calipers. I even suspect that the 17" TD wheel can house a 14" kit. TD wheels are cheap, strong, and like all race wheels, easily replaceable. No need to get an e36 offset and add a spacer. get them right away with the proper e30 M3 offset.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
              1989 M3 racecar
              e39 Touring

Comment

Jake-

I'm not seeing the 17X8.5 RGRs on TireRack. Did you special order those?

M
                Mark

Comment

don't know what they weigh but the BBS CO's at VAC's site look nice.

T

Comment

Originally posted by \\\Mark View Post
                    Hey-

I am thinking about downsizing from 3 sets of wheels (stock, style 5, SSR comp 15X7) to 1 set of 17's for a street/DE car. I'd like them to meet the following criteria:
                    1) light weight
                    2) used WCTC 235/40/17s RA1s must fit
                    3) clearance for Lee's smaller BBK
                    4) Good looking
                    5) <$500 each (new; or preferably used for less)

Currently, none of my wheels meet all these criteria so I've been on the search. Team Dynamics and Koseis don't really do it for me looks-wise. LTW-5s are a maybe looks-wise. I'm leaning toward BBS RGR or RC if I can find them.

Any other suggestions?
                    Also, would 17X8.5 or 17X8s be better for this size RA1 rubber?
                    Would 17X8.5s fit without removing fender liners?

Please don't give me the smack down for not searching, as I have. Most dedicated track cars use 15's and those interested in looks primarily aren't as concerned about weight as I am, I don't think.

TIY,
                    M
                    I'm in the same position (sort-of). I'm looking for a strong, attractive wheel for my weekend/track car. On my E36, I ran 17x8 BBS RK's with 235/40/17 tires. They're nice- lightweight, strong and inexpensive. I was originally get another set of them, but I I just bought a set of the charcoal LTW-5's for my alpine white '90. They are REALLY light weight. I'll be getting them installed next week.

-h-

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                      What BBK did you have? Where they sliding caliper type? I highly doubt they will fit over any fixed caliper BBK.

Jake
                      Ireland Engineering 13" BBK, and I am guessing that sliding is equivalent to floating and if it then yes, the caliper was a 2 piston floating caliper. I am not sure of the clearances with Lee's BBK but it seems that the Massive brakes fit a lot of wheels that other BBK's don't. Maybe Lee can chime in and say for sure whether any of his brake kits will fit over the throwing stars.
                      1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

I am running the 17x8.5" ccw wheels and love them. They are decent looking, strong and very light at 17-18#. But you should not get a set cause I like being the only e30M3 with them:jakeroutine:
                        I am thinking of getting a set of kosei for track tires and using these for street.
                        Cheers,
                        John
                        88M3 henna

73T100C
                        97 540\6-Gone
                        2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

What about OZ's Super Turismo?

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                          1989 M3 racecar
                          e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by project86 View Post
                            Ireland Engineering 13" BBK, and I am guessing that sliding is equivalent to floating and if it then yes, the caliper was a 2 piston floating caliper. I am not sure of the clearances with Lee's BBK but it seems that the Massive brakes fit a lot of wheels that other BBK's don't. Maybe Lee can chime in and say for sure whether any of his brake kits will fit over the throwing stars.
                            Ireland's kit uses Corvette sliding calipers. The same principle as stock BMW calipers. It has two pistons side-by-side. That kit offers a lot of clearance, but not the same brake modulation as fixed calipers with moving pistons, whatever the brand. Thick fixed calipers require more room than sliding calipers.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                            1989 M3 racecar
                            e39 Touring

Comment

What size did you get? 8 or 8.5?

Mike

Originally posted by MazdaMAn View Post
                              I just bought a set of the charcoal LTW-5's for my alpine white '90. They are REALLY light weight. I'll be getting them installed next week.

-h-

Comment

Working...
                              X