Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another sunroof delete question

Hi,
    So I pulled out the sunroof and all the tracks/motors etc and will weld the gutted panel back in soon.
    Question though: there a large sheet metal box that the sunroof retracted into, has anyone removed this? If so, any advice?
    It looks like it is spot welded to some brackets on the sides and bonded around its edges where it mates with the roof.
    This is for an ex j-stock track toy which has been gutted, I am not concerned with class rules at this point.
    All advice welcome,
    Antonio

its spot welded and glued on. its not fun to take out, you need a spot weld bit for your drill and you will risk damaging the exterior of the roof pulling the unit off of it since its glued.

Shes sold now :(

Comment

I was wondering the same thing, looks like a bitch to remove

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
      they are not idiots.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Hoa at South Bay independent here in socal told me the same. I'll probably give it a shot soon and post some of the hopefully not too gory details.

Comment

An air saw, about 3 new blades, and you can easily cut out the tray in about 15. That's what I've done on about 3 cars so far with no damage to any roofs.

Nick

Comment

It can take a while to do if you want to avoid unsightly bumps on the roof skin.
            The places that are spot welded are not directly on the roof skin, except around
            the sunroof opening on the part of the skin that folds inwards. The outside diameter of the tray is boned to the roof and there's a few reinforcing brackets
            spot welded between the underside of the tray the roof rails. If your car has lived in a sunny climate for most of it's life then the roofs usually taken a good baking over it's life and most of the bonder will break away from the roof skin fairly easily. The trick seems to be knowing when it's going to ease away and when your going to dent the roof skin with excessive levering. If it is still well stuck then a bit of heat from a gas blowlamp can soften up the bonder
            and make it handier to ease away. If you go ahead and do it theres a brace that runs across the roof right behind the sunroof which you can easily remove with the tray by without thinking about it, IHMO it's worth a little extra effort to leave this fitted as the roof skin gets very flimsy without it.

When it comes time to tack the sunroof back in it can make it easier if you
            first tack 2 lengths of light box/flat from the brace behind the sunroof to the
            front top windsceen bracing, so that they run just along the edge of where the sunroof panel will sit only an inch below it. Then drill 2 holes in the strips roughly below where each corner of the sunroof panel will be. You can then pop a bolt and nut in each of the four holes and screw them up or down to prop the sunroof perfectly aligned with the roof skin on the outside before you start welding.

Comment

xworks, thank you for the tips and pictures. That bonding agent is what worried me the most, looks like its on there pretty good, some thermal persuasion is definitely in order.
              Antonio

Comment

Originally posted by antgon View Post
                xworks, thank you for the tips and pictures. That bonding agent is what worried me the most, looks like its on there pretty good, some thermal persuasion is definitely in order.
                Antonio
                again xworks, thanks for the tips, I was thinking of going to the local hella mart (german version of wallmart/homedepot) to have a look at heat guns. sound deadning and sunroof bonding will get some love real soon:healthyjake:

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                they are not idiots.

Comment

No problem, the first roof we done we got a bit carried away
                  and de-skined the sunroof panel aswell, big mistake, it warped in every direction when the innar skin was removed.
                  You live and you learn. All the effort to keep the roof skin spotless seemed a little ironic in the end. :ha:

Comment

Originally posted by xworks View Post
                    No problem, the first roof we done we got a bit carried away
                    and de-skined the sunroof panel aswell, big mistake, it warped in every direction when the innar skin was removed.
                    You live and you learn. All the effort to keep the roof skin spotless seemed a little ironic in the end. :ha:

DAAAAAMN!!!!!!

Comment

Has anyone bonded a CF or FG plug into the sunroof opening? Pics?

Thanks,
                      Mike

Comment

Hey Mike,

The ones I've had done for customers (during cage installation) have alll been welded in. But since I was looking at those CF versions on ebay I was wondering the same. It looks to me like those ebay ones drop in and have a lip that sits on top of the roof. So if you looked at the panel from the side it would look like this:

If my ASCII pic is understandable. ; ) In this case I'm thinking a sealer around the inner edge and then slightly outboard of that some heavy duty bonding agent and that should do it. If you paint the car you can bondo/sand it down and it should be relatively invisible. Course I don't know the thickness of the material. I'm assuming minimum thickness since this thing is not structural at all.

Cheers.
                        Last edited by RacerX; 10-23-2007, 02:35 PM.
                        Jack Money
                        '88 M3 #20 DM/GTS2
                        Elephant Motorsports Inc

AST Monotube Adjustable Dampers and Coilover Kits - Full Service Stocking Distributor
                        Swift Springs Master Distributor
                        JE Pistons Distributor
                        Schroth Safety Products Distributor
                        Motul Fluids Dealer

Comment

Working...
                        X