X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chunky.

Comment

I see cut fender liner!

Be careful if you load up the suspension and get the tire into the fender!

Now, do you really need that BIG rubber back there? That much will slow you down!

Do not click
      At least it's German

Comment

Probably don't need THAT much but it does help. I haven't driven the car yet with them on it but I was told that it is a lot more stable.

Slow down the car? Eh. 17s only slow down the car by 7mph-10mph on the back straight when compared to the stock 15s. More traction = more power put to the ground.

Comment

I think you need to put those back on the M5.
          Ron-Man doesn't run skins that big and his new car is pretty much the most bad-ass E30 M3 that wasn't created by Motorsport as a racecar.
          If you are still running the same suspension that you had the last time we chatted, JS with Ireland sways, and the car is unstable there is something else going on. As for the MPH difference its probably the change in gearing from going to such a large tire. Get some data on that thing and see what the real difference is.
          Get your GFCP fix here SCDA
          Fast E30 M3s come from here Vintage Sports and Racing
          Race in your backyard!! T-Karts
          Don't shoot your mouth off unless its loaded.

Comment

David,

Good to hear from you. The car is very stable with the 15" basketweaves but gets somewhat tail happy with them on. The car is more stable with the 17" 245/40/17 all around when compared to 225/45/15 (I believe), more traction, the better. When I compared these two 225/45/15 Hooisers vs 245/40/17 Hooisers (in the rear and 225/45/17 in the front at the time, Toyo R1s) the car did not understeer at all, but as you said the difference in tire sizes is making the speedo read different MPH. I would like to try 16" but we have like three sets of 17's.

The M5 takes 19x9.5 with 265s in the rear. It's got plenty of tire.

Comment

I think you'll have to change your driving style to keep your times low.
              That wide a tire I think would scrub off a lot of speed once it's slip angle exceeds optimum.
              have you done any segment times to suggest that cornering grip and potential earlier throttle application on corner exit will at least recover from 7mph on the straights?

Interesting. Keep us posted.
              mark.

Comment

Mark,

I haven't driven the car with the 275s. That will be in Jan. Perhaps I can do some tests since it is a two day school and will let you guys know speed / grip when compared to 225/40/15 235/40/17 245/40/17 and 275/40/17.

There is a guy that I've been told that he wants to run 285s all around on his E30 325is. You can see this at: www.e30.us or click this: http://e30.us/video/2wheels-wmv.wmv

Talk about too much traction. He was running 245s at the time.
                Last edited by Bavarian3; 12-06-2003, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Yes, that is a classic over tiring the car!!

Ok, I have a LOT more HP over a stock or slightly moded E30. At the track I run 225 all round, I have NEVER had a traction issue!

The smaller the tire, the less aero drag on it! The faster you go, then this 275 is SO tall that you will ruin the gearing unless you change to a 4.27 or 4.45

Do not click
                  At least it's German

Comment

Ok, I have a LOT more HP over a stock or slightly moded E30. At the track I run 225 all round, I have NEVER had a traction issue!
                    Maybe your not pushing your car enough....?

What tires are you running?

The smaller the tire, the less aero drag on it! The faster you go
                    Explain to me then why do top fuel drag cars have huge rear tires?
                    Or why Super Touring Cars use 18"/19" tires. Or why aren't you running 13" wheels? Unless your only reason is that their gearing is changed...?
                    Last edited by Bavarian3; 12-06-2003, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Explain to me then why do top fuel drag cars have huge rear tires?
                      Or why Super Touring Cars use 18"/19" tires. Or why aren't you running 13" wheels? Unless your only reason is that their gearing is changed...?
                      Top Fuel's put down what? 1200+ HP. You are putting down maybe what, 200-215?

Touring cars use large diameter wheels for the lower profile sidewalls. I *think* if you look closely, they actually arent super wide.

I'm also gonna wager that mike doesnt baby his car at the track. Smoothness in driving also contributes to stability. Perhaps you need to work on smoothness?

My $.02, and no offense meant by the driving skills comments.
                      Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

None taken at all, Chris.

Like I said, I haven't driven at the track with the 275s yet so I can't say that they work or they are over kill at least for me.

I'm as smooth as a baby's bottom. :cool:
                        Last edited by Bavarian3; 12-06-2003, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Actually the car is quite neutral with the 15" Hoosiers on the stock wheels but tends to oversteer when pushing very hard-both Mike and I tend to push it very hard.There are some tricky turns at Sebring and when the track is slick,it gets interesting with the 225's.
                          Now again with the 245/40's all round on 17"x8" E34 M5 wheels,it's a lot more stable under aggressive driving conditions with hardly any oversteer.With the 275/40/17's in the rear on 17"x9" M5 wheels and 245/40/17's in front on 17"x8" M5 wheels,the car is like it's on rails-I'm talking Sebring with it's tight twisties where carrying more speed on the turns make up for many seconds lost on the straights.In fact,I was able to keep up with a Porsche 911 turbo due to catching him in the turns-he blew me away on the straights though.He finally slowed down to let me pass him in a passing zone.
                          Mel Abrahams
                          Abrahams Motorsport
                          www.abrahamsmotorsport.com
                          Direct contact:[email protected]

Comment

Your comments on the 15" wheel setup are exactly what I've understood a well setup E30 is supposed to feel like.

Have the different tire sizes meddled with the ABS (if its functional)? I'd think that a slower rotating rear tire would put up some flags...
                            Get your GFCP fix here SCDA
                            Fast E30 M3s come from here Vintage Sports and Racing
                            Race in your backyard!! T-Karts
                            Don't shoot your mouth off unless its loaded.

Comment

No-no problems with the function of the ABS.
                              With a big brake kit,this setup will be great-Sebring is brutal on brakes.
                              Mel Abrahams
                              Abrahams Motorsport
                              www.abrahamsmotorsport.com
                              Direct contact:[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X