180 hairpin exit understeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180 hairpin exit understeer

Only if I could just add a little more steering bite so I could give just press the gas pedal a bit more on my exit on the 180 deg. turn...can anyone give recomendations.

My car is not a dedicated track car...I do have HR sports springs, bilstein sport shox, swaybars and good bushings....delrin up front and solid for my rear subframe etc.

Hoping some experienced guys out there can give me suggestions...I do want to get that front shock mount that adds negative camber...its suppose to improve...will this help...???

But for now are there any quick adjustments I can do...maybe add 1 or 2 deg of toe out??? or more???? Guys please chime...I need to cream some hondas...and evos...

Camber plates will help. It is not a toe issue. Many times it is patience issue or a line issue.

Comment

I will have to admit its a patience issue...just was wishing there was a quick fix...I am within the times of the quick guys with EVOs (5 -9), but the quick Hondas are 1/2 sec faster at least... maybe its a weight issue cause the quick Hondas are fully stripped, my M3 the the EVOs are full cars....with AC, full interior etc... the quick hondas only have a dashboard and driver seat...the interior, etc. are full stripped!

Comment

Exit understeer from hairpins is 95% patience, 5% negative camber.
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

The "line", dude. The "line". Find your line thru the hairpin and it will feel as a wide open corner. What is the best "line"? My point of judgement is the one that gives you an exit in which you can be back on the throttle sooner than any other. You may want to sacrifice entry speed in order to gain exit velocity...

More camber? Nah... Just pitch your car at the entry, slide the back end and the nose will be automatically be directed straight toward the exit, ready to accept your acceleration. Sliding is good in an e30 M3.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
          1989 M3 racecar
          e39 Touring

Comment

Some roll center spacers may help a bit with a lowered car.

Comment

Try lift throttle oversteer.

In the vid below I rotate the car by a quick lift of the throttle and then immediately back on the gas. You need to be at the limit and four wheel drifting. Notice in the slow motion part how I actually over rotated slightly and steer to the right.

Lift Throttle Oversteer Example

Damon in STL
              Damon in STL
              '99 e39 540 Sport 6spd (DD), '88 e30 M3 - GTS2 #72 - Motorcraft Ignition, Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes' Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Racer's Tape.

Comment

what tire pressures do you run?
                Mark Williams
                Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

I am running 35psi on all four tires....

About the line....its not cause there are gates (2 cones with 2ft clearance per side if the car is in the center) on the entry, mid corner and exit..hit a cone and they give us a penalty. Its a very tight track 1st & 2nd only using my 3.73 LSD.

Anyways my performance today was good...and our M3 earned a lot of respect from STI and EVO owners, I was faster than all of them...BTW autoXing is a first here from where I am at...most of our autoevents used to be Drag Racing until we lost our racetrack...the only car I might have a hard time beating is a Honda CRX thats full lightened and a dedicated track car...otherwise I am already confident...

Comment

Trail brake the car to a late apex and rotate the car on the nose til it's pointed towards the track out point.

Some guy explaining the technique with some sort of graph, did not read it all but he seems to be on the right track.

http://racing.latestfiasco.com/?p=33

Comment

Originally posted by peak View Post
                      Try lift throttle oversteer.

In the vid below I rotate the car by a quick lift of the throttle and then immediately back on the gas. You need to be at the limit and four wheel drifting. Notice in the slow motion part how I actually over rotated slightly and steer to the right.

Lift Throttle Oversteer Example

Damon in STL
                      I used to rotate the car like this at turn 6 at thunderhill sometimes. felt good on street tires.
                      ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

lift throttle oversteer worked damn good for me...thanks!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X