Hans device, harnesses and Sparco Pro 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hans device, harnesses and Sparco Pro 2000

Quick question for racers. I am trying to get my car ready for NASA GTS competition. I currently have a Sparco Pro 2000 seat. It is out of date but I will use a back brace. I know I need a Hans type head and neck restraint device. I went through the CCR and followed the links to the various approved devices for NASA competition. Would there by any problem using these types of devices with my current seat? Do I need different seat belts or can I still run 3" shoulder belts? How does it attach to my helmet, if at all, and do I need a different helmet? My helmet is a Bell and its about a year old.

Sorry for the vague newby kind of questions but I am new to all this safety equipment and would like to be educated by those who are more experienced.
    1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

I don't think any of the HANS options out there are dependent on the seat, so you should be fine there.

I don't know much about other brands, but if you buy a HANS brand device you really should go with a belt that has 2" solder straps like the Schroth Profi III-6 HANS. 3" belts are too wide for the HANS and there is a risk of them sliding off the side of the device during impact. If you already have a Schroth belt you can buy just the solder straps and don't have to get a whole new belt set.

The anchor points attach to your helmet. You don't need a special helmet and you can install the anchor points yourself. You just have to drill a small hole where the backing plate goes. When you buy a HANS it comes with the anchor points and detailed instructions on where to mount them.

Here's a writeup with good pictures
    The HANS Head and Neck Restraint Device Install Photos and Text by: Drew Brashler (yesitsdrew5310) Disclaimer: Modification of your helmet involves risks and may void your warranty, cause malfunctions or damage to the safety gear. I can not be held responsible for the modifications you...

Comment

In Europe you can no longer mount the anchors to the helmet yourself. The scrutineers look for the FIA sticker, that's only there if the anchors are factory-mounted. Self mounting is explicitly warned against. Probably out of liability and money making reasons.

regarding seats: HANS-compatible seats have large shoulder belt openings.
      regarding belts: 3" shoulder belts are allowed, but indeed they have a tendency to slip off the HANS.

Dont rely solely on feedback from forum members (not implying you are) but get the info straight from the manufacturers like
      At SCHROTH, we save lives with technology-leading, customized occupant safety and restraints solutions for air, land and space.

Comment

Anybody have experience with the Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro Rage? Obviously I am going to go to the track, talk to racers, call all the companies and seek other advice outside of this forum, but the opinions here are a good start for me. I am also considering the safety solutions harnesses as they seem like they may fit very well with the device and they seem reasonably priced as well.

Comment

Seat works fine w Hans. Not the best seat in the world for Hans but acceptable. I prefer 3" straps with my Hans. Seems like there is more strap to cover the harness. Ive never felt like it was slipping or anything. Never hit anything hard enough to do much damage though either. When I replaced my belts I int went with 3" again. Just like the way it feels better and prefer the added surface area to cover the Hans.
          Last edited by robertm; 08-27-2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

There was a crash test video floating around of 3" a belt slipping off of one of the HANS shoulder points. Can't find it now but it was ugly. If you can imagine one fixed point and one free point on the helmet. It whipped the head right around.

FWIW, I'm still using 3" belts with mine too, but I do plan on getting the 2" when it comes time for new belts.

The key with 3" belts it to be sure the mounting points are close together and not too far from the back of the seat. That way they stay tight to the neck, and don't stretch too much on impact.

..Nothing worse than when I see a student with seat belts mounted all the way to the rear bulkhead.

Comment

i'm using 3" belts with a Def-n-der HNR on a Sparco Evo 2 seat. I plan on going to 2" belts as well. OP, you should be able to drill your helmet for mounting posts. If your uncomfortable, you can always take or ship your helmet to wherever your buying the HNR from and get them to do it for a small fee (maybe complimentary in some cases). I know OG Racing and Apex Performance will do it. I know it's an investment but I'd look hard into buying a new seat too. I dont know much about the Hybrid but i have been using the defnder this year and am very pleased with it.
              '91 SpecE30 #523
              '03 540i/6 M-Sport
              '00 F-350 Dually
              BMWCCA #360858 NASA #128290
              My Track Schedule

Comment

Originally posted by kishg View Post
                i'm using 3" belts with a Def-n-der HNR on a Sparco Evo 2 seat. I plan on going to 2" belts as well. OP, you should be able to drill your helmet for mounting posts. If your uncomfortable, you can always take or ship your helmet to wherever your buying the HNR from and get them to do it for a small fee (maybe complimentary in some cases). I know OG Racing and Apex Performance will do it. I know it's an investment but I'd look hard into buying a new seat too. I dont know much about the Hybrid but i have been using the defnder this year and am very pleased with it.
                The Defender looks good. I think its legal for my class as well. I'm going to call OG Racing tomorrow and see what they think. I won't need to buy anything for a few months, but its always good to have a plan.

Comment

HANs & Sparco Seat

Sparco has always had larger seat belt openings (older Recaro seats had smaller shoulder openings, so they made HANs specific seats) so you should have no problems. The Hans versions of seats are supposed to have a little more room behind the helmet area (for the Hans), but I can't prove it.

I've used the Hans for five years now with Recaro Proracer seats one was Hans & one was not. No big deal either way. I've also used both 3" & 2" belts, I prefer the 2" style, they just seem to fit better.

Make sure you buy the sliding tether Hans device, they allow for much greater range of motion. It does not matter on the track, but makes a huge difference in the pits.

Thanks,
                  Mike K.

Comment

Originally posted by project86 View Post
                    The Defender looks good. I think its legal for my class as well. I'm going to call OG Racing tomorrow and see what they think. I won't need to buy anything for a few months, but its always good to have a plan.
                    Yes, it's legal. nasa and bmwcca both spec an SFI rated device which it is.
                    '91 SpecE30 #523
                    '03 540i/6 M-Sport
                    '00 F-350 Dually
                    BMWCCA #360858 NASA #128290
                    My Track Schedule

Comment

Working...
                    X