15" stocj m3 wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15" stocj m3 wheels

sorry to be a pain are the 15" stock wheels a good wheel to put slicks on for the track? or anyone have a reccomendation of a low cost wheel i should go with for the track

If you are looking for an alternative, try 15"x8" ET20mm TR Motorsport C1 now selling for $95 at tirerack. No need for spacers. 14.6lb. Hard to beat that price.
    sigpic

Comment

which size tires should i use and what kind

Comment

If you end up with the TR Motorsport wheels, you can run 225/50 or 225/45. Tirerack had a blowout sale on PSCs in 225/50, so I went with those. You can also get BFG R1 slicks in that size, and they are a good value IMO considering price/performance although I have not run them on this car yet(good/cheaper alternative to Hoosiers R6). If you want a non-slick option that won't heat cycle easily Nitto NT-01s come in 225/45 (discounttire.com has free shipping on those).
        sigpic

Comment

I have run 225/45/15 on the stock wheels without an issue. If buying wheels, I would recommend going with 17" wheels. It gives you a lot more flexibility in the future (bbk, more sizes and selection avialable).

Comment

ok now im confused someone had put me in direction of buying 15" wheels for track set what would be the ideal wheel size for a set of inexpensive package? im only looking to do 3-4 track events a year just dont want to run my17" simmons and risk damaging them

Comment

17" wheels are approximately double in wheel cost. The tires are a little more as well (25% or so). Either 15 or 17 package will work just get 8" wide wheels. Just prefer 17" wheels because the items listed above.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTurboFan View Post
                If buying wheels, I would recommend going with 17" wheels. It gives you a lot more flexibility in the future (bbk, more sizes and selection avialable).
                I think this is terrible advise.
                I'd stay far away from 17"s unless you need them to clear big brakes and then only until you have big enough brakes that you NEED 17"s

15"s are cheaper, lighter, the tires are cheaper and there is a HUGE selection in the correct sizes and diameters.
                225/50-15" is the "correct" size, however many guys use 225/45-15"s to get a little bit of free gearing (and they are even lighter yet).
                Every race tire offers a 225/xx - 15, from speedy,,, to long wearing DE tires and they are about 65% the cost of the equivilent tire in a 235/40-17 which is the "right" size 17" for us to run (and not everyone offers a 235/40-17).

If you know where to look, you can buy used 15" race tires by the pallet load from IT guys who race to win every week.
                I literally bought a pallet load of "one race" Hoosiers from a front running IT racer for about $35 a tire.

There are decent wheel choices in 15"s (stock takes offs, Kosei K1s, the TR choice mentioned above) and they dont require spacers. Most of the 17"s guys are running on E30 M3s are intended for E36s,,, and they have to run spacers.

Even if you end up needing "real" race quality brakes, there are now options that do fit inside 15"s for the E30 M3.

Nope,,, no reason in the world to go to 17"s, especially where you are at.

Buy yourself a set of 225/50-15 Toyo RA1s,or the Nittos and go have a blast.
                They will last forever, feel great on an e30 M3 and cost you a fraction of what the same tires in 17" would cost.

Jimmy p
                putting my money where my mouth is, I own at least 8 sets of 15" wheels for my track car...
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

thank you for all your input

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                    If you know where to look, you can buy used 15" race tires by the pallet load from IT guys who race to win every week.
                    I literally bought a pallet load of "one race" Hoosiers from a front running IT racer for about $35 a tire.
                    I've heard of such deals, but I have no idea where to look. How/where does one identify such sellers? Thanks.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
                      I've heard of such deals, but I have no idea where to look. How/where does one identify such sellers? Thanks.
                      Comb the pits at a big regional race.
                      Find the fast guys who are on your tire size, introduce yourself (at a good time) slip them a card with your contact info.

Have them call you, or you call them periodically to take their used tires off their hands.
                      jimmy p.
                      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Comb the pits at a big regional race.
                        Find the fast guys who are on your tire size, introduce yourself (at a good time) slip them a card with your contact info.

Have them call you, or you call them periodically to take their used tires off their hands.
                        Sounds like a good approach. Thanks.
                        sigpic

Comment

Lucid is correct. I don't know what to do with the tires after 8 heat cycles. I give them to friends or throw them out. Maybe I should build a house with them.

Comment

I think this is terrible advise.
                            I'd stay far away from 17"s unless you need them to clear big brakes and then only until you have big enough brakes that you NEED 17"s

15"s are cheaper, lighter, the tires are cheaper and there is a HUGE selection in the correct sizes and diameters.
                            225/50-15" is the "correct" size, however many guys use 225/45-15"s to get a little bit of free gearing (and they are even lighter yet).
                            Every race tire offers a 225/xx - 15, from speedy,,, to long wearing DE tires and they are about 65% the cost of the equivilent tire in a 235/40-17 which is the "right" size 17" for us to run (and not everyone offers a 235/40-17).

There are decent wheel choices in 15"s (stock takes offs, Kosei K1s, the TR choice mentioned above) and they dont require spacers. Most of the 17"s guys are running on E30 M3s are intended for E36s,,, and they have to run spacers.

Even if you end up needing "real" race quality brakes, there are now options that do fit inside 15"s for the E30 M3.

Nope,,, no reason in the world to go to 17"s, especially where you are at.

Buy yourself a set of 225/50-15 Toyo RA1s,or the Nittos and go have a blast.
                            They will last forever, feel great on an e30 M3 and cost you a fraction of what the same tires in 17" would cost.

Jimmy p
                            putting my money where my mouth is, I own at least 8 sets of 15" wheels for my track car...
                            absoutely second that! large rims may look nice but with the limited amount of suitable sizes in 17 you will always be better of with 15 or 16inch.
                            I have 300mm front disks and they would clear a 15 inch rim, so no need for 17 if you don't run monster brakes.

Only thing I would have to say is to get ET20 wheels. There are E28 wheels in ET20
                            Last edited by UweM3; 09-15-2009, 09:30 PM.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Working...
                            X