Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Customer splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer splitter

Just had this made, pretty happy with how it turned out.
    Attached Files

Ed,

Any idea how much weight you saved on the crash bar?

Splitter looks nice as well

Nick

Comment

The spliiter looks great. Do you leave the support/ducts on the car and take the skin/splitter off for trailer loading etc? I race an e30 m3 in gts2, which class are you running with NASA? I did the same to my support and was itchy for a week.
      Antonio

Comment

Nice. I'd also be interested in before and after weights of the crash support. Also, where did you get the canards? I need some.
        1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Originally posted by project86 View Post
          Nice. I'd also be interested in before and after weights of the crash support. Also, where did you get the canards? I need some.
          Thanks guys.

We took about 3lbs off the bumper core (rough estimate, I didn't weigh before/after). Even so, the factory E3 bumper is not light. I'd like to take more weight out of the car, but am trying to live within a budget.

For the canards, shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the fabricator -- same guy who did the splitter. He does race car fabrication work for a living (ALMS team) and his work is impeccable.

The splitter looks great. Do you leave the support/ducts on the car and take the skin/splitter off for trailer loading etc? I race an e30 m3 in gts2, which class are you running with NASA? I did the same to my support and was itchy for a week.
          Antonio
          I have ramp extensions for loading onto the trailer, and will use additional blocks of wood to feather the approach angle a bit more. I really don't want to have to remove the bumper cover for loading/unloading. I'm running in GTS3, northeast series.

Comment

why the extra work with all the drilling? You can remove most of the crash support, just leave two small sections around the bumper mountings. Saves more weight.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
              why the extra work with all the drilling? You can remove most of the crash support, just leave two small sections around the bumper mountings. Saves more weight.
              Thought about that, but I don't have a spare core and I didn't want to cut-up this one and then find out that I'd removed too much structure. For instance, a fiberartz bumper with this splitter needs reinforcement to keep it from bending under the downforce created by the splitter. The factory bumper is much stronger, but I preferred to be conservative since I was not expecting to achieve any significant weight loss no matter what I did with the core.

Comment

Originally posted by EdPhillips View Post
                Thought about that, but I don't have a spare core and I didn't want to cut-up this one and then find out that I'd removed too much structure. For instance, a fiberartz bumper with this splitter needs reinforcement to keep it from bending under the downforce created by the splitter. The factory bumper is much stronger, but I preferred to be conservative since I was not expecting to achieve any significant weight loss no matter what I did with the core.
                I see what you mean, but the sides are held in the brackets under the fenders. Should stop a fair bit of bending. The whole OEM bumper weighs a TON, I am going to replace this with FG.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by EdPhillips View Post
                    Just had this made, pretty happy with how it turned out.
                    So...who made it for you?!?!!?!? ; )

Cheers.
                    Jack Money
                    '88 M3 #20 DM/GTS2
                    Elephant Motorsports Inc

AST Monotube Adjustable Dampers and Coilover Kits - Full Service Stocking Distributor
                    Swift Springs Master Distributor
                    JE Pistons Distributor
                    Schroth Safety Products Distributor
                    Motul Fluids Dealer

Comment

I holesawed and trimmed my bumper core about 1.5 years ago. I went with the mantra of "it's easier to take more off than try to put it back on" so I was a bit conservative though maybe more liberal than Ed.

Anyway, I don't have pics of it right now, it's a bit difficult to remove from the cover. It weight 15lbs when I started and 9lbs when I was done. I think within reason of still having some basic structure and without cutting it all away and leaving only bumper mount spots, I can remove another 1-3lbs.

Cheers.
                      Jack Money
                      '88 M3 #20 DM/GTS2
                      Elephant Motorsports Inc

AST Monotube Adjustable Dampers and Coilover Kits - Full Service Stocking Distributor
                      Swift Springs Master Distributor
                      JE Pistons Distributor
                      Schroth Safety Products Distributor
                      Motul Fluids Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        So...who made it for you?!?!!?!? ; )
                        he's a friend, he does this in his spare time (which is limited, especially during the race season). I've put project86 in touch with him for a set of dive planes; can do same for anyone here who'd like a set.

Comment

That splitter looks great!
                          I think those came from the same fabricator that did my dive planes...
                          Think he'd do an e36 LTW splitter tray? I don't have his contact info anymore, but I do certainly recall that he was/is busy busy.
                          If you get a chance is there any way you can forward that contact info to me?
                          I hope all is well.
                          Are you running GTS-3 this season? LRP? I think that's where my e36 will end up, as most IP cars tend to.

Yeah, I know.... It has too many cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by mtrsprt View Post
                            That splitter looks great!
                            I think those came from the same fabricator that did my dive planes...
                            Think he'd do an e36 LTW splitter tray? I don't have his contact info anymore, but I do certainly recall that he was/is busy busy.
                            If you get a chance is there any way you can forward that contact info to me?
                            I hope all is well.
                            Are you running GTS-3 this season? LRP? I think that's where my e36 will end up, as most IP cars tend to.
                            I'm planning to do 4-5 race weekends with NASA this year, including LRP again (hopefully with a better outcome). There are a few IP guys who cross over. I'm sure you will be a front-runner based on your results last season with CCA.

will email you regarding the splitter.

Comment

Those canards are definitely interesting... and something I haven't seen before. Want to shoot me a PM with that contact info as well? I wonder about the cost...

AST Suspension | Facebook | Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X