No announcement yet.

Customer splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a couple of pics of the splitter for my race car. The bumper cover is from Moseley Motorsports and the splitter is made of alumacore. There is a 1.5" spacer between the alumacore and the bumper cover. It mounts in the front in the normal bumper attachment position and then has four 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners; two on the sides and two to brackets on the front subframe. It will be painted to match the car.

Damon in STL
    Damon in STL
    '99 e39 540 Sport 6spd (DD), '88 e30 M3 - GTS2 #72 - Motorcraft Ignition, Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes' Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Racer's Tape.

Comment

nice, especially with the extra length and dzus fasteners. which bumper cover is that?

Comment

Nice Damon,
        If you dont mind me asking, what did you use for a spacer?

I have a spare bumper that I am doing a splitter for and needed to space it downwards a bit, I was having a hell of a time finding something that would be structural enough to take the load, conform to the both shapes and not weigh more than the bumper cover and splitter together.

In the end my solution was stand offs made from rubber (almost like small hockey pucks) to take the load, and then filling between bumper bottom and splitter with closed cell polyurethane foam,,, but I'm still not crazy about it.

Looks great.

Cheers
        jimmy
        jimmy p.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
        92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
        98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

I bought all my fiberglass parts (not counting doors) from Moseley Motorsports in the UK.

http://www.moseleymotorsport.com/parts_e30.htm

Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
          Nice Damon,
          If you dont mind me asking, what did you use for a spacer?

I have a spare bumper that I am doing a splitter for and needed to space it downwards a bit, I was having a hell of a time finding something that would be structural enough to take the load, conform to the both shapes and not weigh more than the bumper cover and splitter together.

In the end my solution was stand offs made from rubber (almost like small hockey pucks) to take the load, and then filling between bumper bottom and splitter with closed cell polyurethane foam,,, but I'm still not crazy about it.

Looks great.

Cheers
          jimmy
          Hi Jimmy,

I used solid foam insulation cut to match the shape of the bumper cover and a number of bolts washers and nuts spaced approximately every 12"s or so to tie it all together. On the front and rear of the insulation is racer's tape.

Once I settle on the overall ground clearance I can live with, I may fabricate an aluminum cover for the front of the insulation. The nice thing about using the hard foam insulation is that you can add thickness by gluing pieces together and it is easy to cut.

Because of the shape and the number of bolts I am using, it is structurally sound and light weight.

Damon in STL
          Damon in STL
          '99 e39 540 Sport 6spd (DD), '88 e30 M3 - GTS2 #72 - Motorcraft Ignition, Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes' Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Racer's Tape.

Comment

I just had to get in on this, next up is copying Damon's splitter design. You guys rock!

Last edited by AndrewLang; 12-09-2010, 03:16 PM.

AST Suspension | Facebook | Blog

Comment

Are these wider than stock fenders?

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
              1989 M3 racecar
              e39 Touring

Comment

How much ground clearance are folks going for with the splitters?

Any potential cooling issues when the splitter is extended past the oil pan?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                  Are these wider than stock fenders?

Hi lee, yes these are quite a bit wider, they are the competition concepts fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewLang View Post
                    I just had to get in on this, next up is copying Damon's splitter design. You guys rock!

Nice. Looks a bit like my bumper. What are the brake calipers?
                    1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Originally posted by project86 View Post
                      Nice. Looks a bit like my bumper. What are the brake calipers?
                      They are the wilwood sl6 calipers from massive brakes rally kit. I love these things.

Comment

Nice dive planes!

Are you using the E3 bumper seal? I see something there.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewLang View Post
                          They are the wilwood sl6 calipers from massive brakes rally kit. I love these things.
                          They look nice. I hope to see your car at the track one day. Looks nice. Sorry for slight thread jack.
                          1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Originally posted by EdPhillips View Post
                            Nice dive planes!

Are you talking about on the top of the bumper? There are some seals that have been there ever since I bought the car, I kind of always assumed those were stock?

Comment

Originally posted by project86 View Post
                              They look nice. I hope to see your car at the track one day. Looks nice. Sorry for slight thread jack.
                              Yeah I hope to see you as well, have you been running lately? I'm going to attempt to start racing with NASA GTS this coming year.

-Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by EdPhillips View Post
                                Nice dive planes!

Ed, they look like the stock multi-piece US bumper seals.

Comment

Working...
                                X