Customer splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
    Ed, they look like the stock multi-piece US bumper seals.
    thx. has been on my "to do" list

Comment

Ed, not sure if the full three piece set is still obtainable from BMW. I know that the
      single piece Evo bumper gasket is readily available.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewLang View Post
        Yeah I hope to see you as well, have you been running lately? I'm going to attempt to start racing with NASA GTS this coming year.

-Andrew

I haven't been running my cars lately but I have been karting a lot. I'm going to attempt to get into NASA GTS next year as well. What class does your M3 fall into?
        1986 Mercedes 190e 2.3-16 Cosworth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNJ-qVPBkU

Comment

Originally posted by project86 View Post
          I haven't been running my cars lately but I have been karting a lot. I'm going to attempt to get into NASA GTS next year as well. What class does your M3 fall into?
          Well its either GTS2 with a big ballast or right in the middle of GTS3 where it won't be competitive.

AST Suspension | Facebook | Blog

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
            Any potential cooling issues when the splitter is extended past the oil pan?
            Yes that will defintely be an issue. Oil cooler airflow, undercar airflow are closely related. Properly ducted, the stock oil cooler is plenty sufficient. The Evo2 spoiler helps with oil temps more than downforce.
            sigpic
            2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
            2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
            2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
            2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
            2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Originally posted by JS154 View Post
              Yes that will defintely be an issue. Oil cooler airflow, undercar airflow are closely related. Properly ducted, the stock oil cooler is plenty sufficient. The Evo2 spoiler helps with oil temps more than downforce.
              By being a little creative I think you could have even a full flat underbody while doing little harm to the oil cooler. Check out the vent on this splitter: http://board.s14power.com/showthread...test+aero+mods

I would imagine that the black of the oil cooler has something to channel the air so that it escapes through the whole he cut in his splitter.

AST Suspension | Facebook | Blog

Comment

My splitter goes back to the front subframe and there has been no difference in oil temps.

Damon in STL
                Damon in STL
                '99 e39 540 Sport 6spd (DD), '88 e30 M3 - GTS2 #72 - Motorcraft Ignition, Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes' Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Racer's Tape.

Comment

That's Ron Checca's monster D-Mod car in the photos, and you know that his motor is going to require good cooling. I have to presume he's getting it, notwithstanding the extended splitter. I'm sure that oil cooler selection and ducting also need to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by EdPhillips View Post
                    That's Ron Checca's monster D-Mod car in the photos, and you know that his motor is going to require good cooling. I have to presume he's getting it, notwithstanding the extended splitter. I'm sure that oil cooler selection and ducting also need to be considered.
                    He has ducting - he;s running the stock engine compartment screening and he cut a hole in the splitter - the only place the air from the high pressure region in front of the oil cooler is through the oil cooler and out into the low pressure region under the car.

With that setup, A stock oil cooler should be sufficint because careful thouhgt went into the ducting.

FWIW, I run a stock oil cooler (not even an M5 oil cooler) and the factory ducting and have no issues with oil temps even when running in 103 degree weather at Summit Point this year.
                    sigpic
                    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                    2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                    2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                    2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                    2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Originally posted by peak View Post
                      My splitter goes back to the front subframe and there has been no difference in oil temps.

Damon in STL
                      Thanks for this data point. I had forgotten about this thread. I was planning to make something similar to what you have out of alumacore, so I am less concerned about oil temperatures.
                      sigpic

Comment

How functional are those canards?

I bet someone could make money duplicating those alumacore undertrays and selling them with a nice clean seal that will conform to the bottom of the M3's bumper.
                        -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Originally posted by Low Level View Post
                          How functional are those canards?

I bet someone could make money duplicating those alumacore undertrays and selling them with a nice clean seal that will conform to the bottom of the M3's bumper.
                          I think shipping would be a killer.
                          I bet if you made it big enough it wouldn't be UPS'able and have to go truck freight...

I have made a lot of splitters,,, and I hate making them.
                          Cutting them is nerve wracking,,, especially the last 6 inches,,, because after all the steady handedness of the whole front curve, if you botch it in the last 6" you are still screwed.

I'd certainly buy them if I could rather than hand make them haha.
                          jimmy p.
                          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                          92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                          98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                          04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Working...
                          X