• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmy p.
    replied
    Originally posted by Low Level View Post
    How functional are those canards?

I bet someone could make money duplicating those alumacore undertrays and selling them with a nice clean seal that will conform to the bottom of the M3's bumper.
    I think shipping would be a killer.
    I bet if you made it big enough it wouldn't be UPS'able and have to go truck freight...

I have made a lot of splitters,,, and I hate making them.
    Cutting them is nerve wracking,,, especially the last 6 inches,,, because after all the steady handedness of the whole front curve, if you botch it in the last 6" you are still screwed.

I'd certainly buy them if I could rather than hand make them haha.

Leave a comment:

• Low Level
    replied
    How functional are those canards?

I bet someone could make money duplicating those alumacore undertrays and selling them with a nice clean seal that will conform to the bottom of the M3's bumper.

Leave a comment:

• lucid
    replied
    Originally posted by peak View Post
    My splitter goes back to the front subframe and there has been no difference in oil temps.

Damon in STL
    Thanks for this data point. I had forgotten about this thread. I was planning to make something similar to what you have out of alumacore, so I am less concerned about oil temperatures.

Leave a comment:

• JS154
    replied
    Originally posted by EdPhillips View Post
    That's Ron Checca's monster D-Mod car in the photos, and you know that his motor is going to require good cooling. I have to presume he's getting it, notwithstanding the extended splitter. I'm sure that oil cooler selection and ducting also need to be considered.
    He has ducting - he;s running the stock engine compartment screening and he cut a hole in the splitter - the only place the air from the high pressure region in front of the oil cooler is through the oil cooler and out into the low pressure region under the car.

With that setup, A stock oil cooler should be sufficint because careful thouhgt went into the ducting.

FWIW, I run a stock oil cooler (not even an M5 oil cooler) and the factory ducting and have no issues with oil temps even when running in 103 degree weather at Summit Point this year.

Leave a comment:

• EdPhillips
    replied
    That's Ron Checca's monster D-Mod car in the photos, and you know that his motor is going to require good cooling. I have to presume he's getting it, notwithstanding the extended splitter. I'm sure that oil cooler selection and ducting also need to be considered.

Leave a comment:

• peak
    replied
    My splitter goes back to the front subframe and there has been no difference in oil temps.

Damon in STL

Leave a comment:

• AndrewLang
    replied
    Originally posted by JS154 View Post
    Yes that will defintely be an issue. Oil cooler airflow, undercar airflow are closely related. Properly ducted, the stock oil cooler is plenty sufficient. The Evo2 spoiler helps with oil temps more than downforce.
    By being a little creative I think you could have even a full flat underbody while doing little harm to the oil cooler. Check out the vent on this splitter: http://board.s14power.com/showthread...test+aero+mods

I would imagine that the black of the oil cooler has something to channel the air so that it escapes through the whole he cut in his splitter.

Leave a comment:

• JS154
    replied
    Originally posted by lucid View Post
    Any potential cooling issues when the splitter is extended past the oil pan?
    Yes that will defintely be an issue. Oil cooler airflow, undercar airflow are closely related. Properly ducted, the stock oil cooler is plenty sufficient. The Evo2 spoiler helps with oil temps more than downforce.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewLang
    replied
    Originally posted by project86 View Post
    I haven't been running my cars lately but I have been karting a lot. I'm going to attempt to get into NASA GTS next year as well. What class does your M3 fall into?
    Well its either GTS2 with a big ballast or right in the middle of GTS3 where it won't be competitive.

Leave a comment:

• project86
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewLang View Post
    Yeah I hope to see you as well, have you been running lately? I'm going to attempt to start racing with NASA GTS this coming year.

-Andrew

I haven't been running my cars lately but I have been karting a lot. I'm going to attempt to get into NASA GTS next year as well. What class does your M3 fall into?

Leave a comment:

• chutrain
    replied
    Ed, not sure if the full three piece set is still obtainable from BMW. I know that the
    single piece Evo bumper gasket is readily available.

Leave a comment:

• EdPhillips
    replied
    Originally posted by chutrain View Post
    Ed, they look like the stock multi-piece US bumper seals.
    thx. has been on my "to do" list

Leave a comment:

• chutrain
    replied
    Nice dive planes!

Are you using the E3 bumper seal? I see something there.
    Ed, they look like the stock multi-piece US bumper seals.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewLang
    replied
    Originally posted by project86 View Post
    They look nice. I hope to see your car at the track one day. Looks nice. Sorry for slight thread jack.
    Yeah I hope to see you as well, have you been running lately? I'm going to attempt to start racing with NASA GTS this coming year.

-Andrew

Leave a comment:

• AndrewLang
    replied
    Nice dive planes!

Are you using the E3 bumper seal? I see something there.
    Are you talking about on the top of the bumper? There are some seals that have been there ever since I bought the car, I kind of always assumed those were stock?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X