hood insulation on E30 M3 race car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hood insulation on E30 M3 race car?

i took the hood insulation/pad off my E30 M3 race car to take some dents out of the hood and while i have it off i was wondering if there is a reason to put it back or leave it off?

thanks

Not sure if it actually does, but it keeps the heat away from the paint topside,
    especially on a hot motor on a track car. You really aren't saving weight with taking
    it off, so I would keep it on. But I'm no track guy.

Comment

i agree it is not very heavy, wonder if it is fire proof?

Comment

my understanding is it was a noise reducer for most cars.that was hood insulation purpose.i always took it off

Comment

Let me know if you want to sell it.
          sigpic

1989 BMW M3 ALPINE WHITE II/SRD M CLOTH
          1995 BMW M3 DAYTONA/DOVE SOLD
          1995 BMW M3 AVUS/BLACK
          1998 BMW M3 ESTORIL/DOVE SEDAN SOLD
          1999 BMW M3 TITANIUM/DOVE CONV. SOLD
          1999 BMW M3 COSMOS/SAND BEIGE SOLD
          2003 BMW M5 ALPINE WHITE/BLACK SOLD
          2004 BMW M3 SILVERGRAY/IMOLA
          2007 BMW M5 SAPPHIRE/INDY

Comment

FYI, BMW stopped installing insulation pads on E9x series cars few years into production as a cost cutting measure. It can't be functionally that important.

- Tire is the other control arm bushing.

zhpregistry.net

Comment

It's listed as sound insulation, but it's shaped pretty specifically to fill in all sorts or areas around the motor, so I can;t help but wonder if it helps regualte engine compartment airflow to some degree.

FWIW, I run mine in the M3 Touring car. It weighs next to nothing.
              sigpic
              2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
              2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
              2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
              2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
              2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Both of my race/track E30 M3s haven't had one. One was sagging anyway...and it served no purpose as far as I can tell (paint on the hood is fine).

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by noro View Post
                  FYI, BMW stopped installing insulation pads on E9x series cars few years into production as a cost cutting measure. It can't be functionally that important.
                  That is because the engines themselves are encapsulated in insulation and plastic for noise suppression.

m

Comment

Mmark
                    not sure what you mean by engine encapsulated
                    are you refering to a E30 motor?
                    thanks

Comment

Mark is referring to the new motors where everything has a plastic cover over it.

Comment

churtrain

thanks for explaining i should have figured that one out, i understand the encapsulated post now

for now ill take my hood insulation off, clean the underside of the hood and put the insulation back on

Comment

as far as I know it's a NLA part. So think about it before selling it.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Old thread...

My S14 hood insulation is torn up and terrible.

Would you guys run the 3-piece foam version, or try to find another one-piece S14 version?

Comment

I don't think there is a hard and fast answer....since it's not a part "critical" to the car's function....

It all depends on your sensibilities....and which parts you can get. Is your car a garage queen where it is important for you to keep it as original as possible?

Or is it a weekend driver/track rat?

If it's the later I would just go with whatever is available...or nothing at all....

But if you have a collector type car it would be best to track down the E30M3 specific part.

Comment

Working...
                              X