Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Really Lightweight Battery?

Hello all,

So, I'm reading through my latest Road Racing World (a really good motorcycle mag, btw) and I see an ad for a lightweight battery with a weight of 2lbs5oz and 360CCA.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...batteries.html

12 cell model

So, I check in the trunk to check the specs on my battery (Interstate MT-47 with 590CCA, 29.6 lbs. per mfr. site).

And I'm wondering, is it totally unrealistic to use the 12 cell Ballistic Battery in a very stripped down car (my remaining electronics are ECU, all external lights, aux. fan and blower motor)? At some point, I'll move the battery forward to the passenger seat area and go to a smaller gauge to chop out some of the battery cable weight.

For those of you who are looking for that last bit of weight savings in highly modified cars (i.e. trailer only), what do you use for a battery?

I'm just really impressed by the potential weight savings!

Gregg

I use the odyssey pc 608 as others on this forum. 6 pounds if I remember correctly. You should find some info about this battery on this site.
    Last edited by temple; 04-13-2011, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I've erred on the side of capacity - Deka ETX18, which weighs about 18lbs. Until there's some positive feedback on one of these ultra flyweight batteries, I'll remain a skeptic.

Comment

How about the Braille batteries? Just a few pounds more with more cold cranking amps
        and likely more racing background than the Ballistic batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by chutrain View Post
          How about the Braille batteries? Just a few pounds more with more cold cranking amps
          and likely more racing background than the Ballistic batteries.
          I read (on the internet) that the Braille and Deka and the same battery, just different packaging.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised. There are so many things on the market that are just
            rebranded. Then again, you can only believe so much on the internet.

Comment

Then again, you can only believe so much on the internet.
              I don't believe a word you say Chutrain.

Comment

I use a tiny mazda miata battery with no issues

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. Very good info!

Gregg

Comment

I've been running Odyssey PC680 batteries for about 8 years. In my opinion they're the perfect size for a track car. When the temps are above 40ish it has plenty of cranking power. Below that, if left off of a tender, it will fall off quickly though.
                    I'm only on my 2nd one so if taken care of they last quite a while.

Comment

When I went to a lightweight battery I started with the 6.6 lb Braille battery. Their website says it is rated at 210 CCA. That battery was toast after it was discharged twice. Instead of buying another Braille for 150 dollars I found this battery for 1/3rd the price. It's the exact same battery without the Braille sticker: bigcrank.com/product/ETX-9.html . For some reason they only rate it at 120 CCA. I make sure to keep it on a battery tender whenever the car sits for more than 12 hours. It struggles in the pits when the electric aux. Fan turns on.

AST Suspension | Facebook | Blog

Comment

After doing my due dillegence intrawebs research, I just bought a PC680. It seems that Optimas are not as good as they used to be, so there is one data point. I also wanted a lighter weight battery for a streetable track car, not a DD.

I had a Deka EXT14 in the car last year, bought it direct from the warehouse for around $60 (now $72ish). It died over the winter, my own fault for not putting it on a trickle. It worked fine, but I understand they don't seem to have the lifespan of an PC680, and their warranty (1yr vs. 2yr on PC680) reflects this. However, the Deka is half the price, so...

Also, you can buy a house brand relabeled Deka ETX14 @ O'Rielly Auto Parts for aboot $75, effectively the same price as a Deka. Even shares the same part number, if you want to search or buy online, and I found them in stock @ several local O'Reilly's locations. It has the same 1 year warranty as a Deka, but you can buy/replace/warranty @ any O'Reilly's 7 days a week in most any decent sized city, so that might count for something.

In the end, I bought an Oddessey @ Batteries Plus because it appears to be the most 'durable", best warranty, I can get it warrantied @ any of the many Batt+ locations any day of the week, but mostly because I found a totally wicked bad ass billet bracket for it. Friggin' sweet.
                        What??? an E30 M3 for sale??? I'll be right there!!!

Comment

Although the cost/unit of weight reduction, and the ratio of weight reduction to lap time decrease may both be not so good , I was looking at these for my Birkin S3 (7 clone).

http://www.motydesign.com/index.php

m

Comment

Just thought I would post this, I'm getting ready for an endurance race later this week and I'm concerned about the added electrical I've had to add to my car. Headlights, fog lights, differential cooler. I'm fine when the car is out on track revving the alternator to no end but when I idle the car in my garage the voltage on my battery just gradually drops (mostly from turning the auxiliary fan which kicks on) and eventually I start getting some odd AFR's from my Alpha N that causes problems.

I bought the PC680 online just a minute ago, I'm hoping this will solve my problems. An extra 7 lbs in the rear of the car will be worth the reliability.

AST Suspension | Facebook | Blog

Comment

I've been running the 21lb Braile B3121 31Amp/hr battery. I wanted to make sure the car will start at all times without charging and can endure back to back cranking etc. No issues whatsoever with it. I know there is another 10lbs to be saved with a lighter one, and maybe I will go there eventually, but this is working well (as in I don't have to worry about it).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X