Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cage in my M3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cage in my M3

    I am officially removing my M3 from daily duty. It will now be a dedicated track day car (instruction/practice) and racecar (vintage and production). I have an appointment at my friend's shop in three weeks to build an 8 point cage.
    I will first have the car straightened and I will remove the sunroof cassette for clearance and weight. I have built my own cage in my 2002, so basically I know where I am going. Except...

    Where I am not sure is for the dash bar. I want to retain the heater and wonder if it is compatible with the dash bar. Rollcage will have the A posts going thru the dash.


    [email protected]

    1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

  • #2
    Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
    I am officially removing my M3 from daily duty. It will now be a dedicated track day car (instruction/practice) and racecar (vintage and production). I have an appointment at my friend's shop in three weeks to build an 8 point cage.
    I will first have the car straightened and I will remove the sunroof cassette for clearance and weight. I have built my own cage in my 2002, so basically I know where I am going. Except...

    Where I am not sure is for the dash bar. I want to retain the heater and wonder if it is compatible with the dash bar. Rollcage will have the A posts going thru the dash.
    yes and no.

    I have a bar under the dash and my heater/blower still works. but you will need to shape the plastic channels to go over the pipe and you will loose the flap function (can't be closed anymore) but that doesn't really matter IMHO


    Goodbye M3, you served me well.

    Comment


    • #3
      Lee, I studied that to death back when I did my cage V1, and trying to keep the heater core, heater box assembly as stock compromises the dash bar.
      I couldn;t find any way around it.

      When I did my 2nd, much more extensive cage, I put the dash bar where Kurt my cage guy wanted it and then figured I work out a heater/ defroster.
      I then relocated my heater core and mounted an aftermarket fan and ducting.
      That sorta worked pretty well.

      I have since become paranoid about having the heater water in the car and taken it out. I'm going to go to the bilge blower with a heat sink / heat box off the floor like I saw in one of the Turner WC cars.
      As much as I wanted to keep it, and thought I could figure out a work around, I ended up like everyone else and pulling it all out.
      Just my .02
      jimmy
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
        yes and no.

        I have a bar under the dash and my heater/blower still works. but you will need to shape the plastic channels to go over the pipe and you will loose the flap function (can't be closed anymore) but that doesn't really matter IMHO
        A spec E30 I helped put together was the same way, but still retained all functions minus flap
        '88 M3
        '91 318 is (daliy) -Sold '95 H1 Hummer
        '74 Tii (race preped) -Sold =( '02 S80 T6
        '65 Mini '93 Bourbon
        '95 Saleen -Sold
        '92 500E
        '66 El Camino

        Comment


        • #5
          Given 8/10 track days i do seem to be wet I have kept the heater in the e21 with one of these

          http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=180

          Comment


          • #6
            Lee, my car has a dash bar with the heater intact.

            The cage was done through VSR; here's a (blurry) photo:


            And, with the dash reinstalled:
            Seattle, WA
            currently:
            1988 M3 ex j-stock
            1984 911 RoW 3.2
            http://cars.g93.net

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for picture, Dave.


              [email protected]

              1969 2002 racecar
              1989 M3 racecar
              e39 Touring

              Comment


              • #8
                Here are more VSR cage pics. I took the heater box out soon after as I don't want hot coolant in the cabin.


                Last edited by lucid; 10-20-2011, 01:57 PM.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Lee:

                  I just had a cage put in my new ITR car. It has a bar going behind the dash and I wanted the HVAC box saved for just (w/o hot water) so we can try to defog the windshield on really humid days. I'll snap a pic for you when I get back from WGI on Tuesday. My cage builder has a way of adding the cross tube such that it's not bent. He also uses it to hang the steering column at a custom height for the driver.
                  Ron ///Man

                  • '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
                  • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
                  • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
                  • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
                  • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
                  • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
                  • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
                  • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
                  • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
                  • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    HI Ron

                    Please show up some pictures. ;-)


                    [email protected]

                    1969 2002 racecar
                    1989 M3 racecar
                    e39 Touring

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                      I am officially removing my M3 from daily duty. It will now be a dedicated track day car (instruction/practice) and racecar (vintage and production). I have an appointment at my friend's shop in three weeks to build an 8 point cage.
                      I will first have the car straightened and I will remove the sunroof cassette for clearance and weight. I have built my own cage in my 2002, so basically I know where I am going. Except...

                      Where I am not sure is for the dash bar. I want to retain the heater and wonder if it is compatible with the dash bar. Rollcage will have the A posts going thru the dash.
                      Do the dash bar so it runs above the steering column.

                      If you want a heater box, ditch the stock one and use an auxiliary heater box for a Jeep (look in the back of ther Summit racing catalog) Much smaller, much lighter, easy to plumb anbd wire and it;a all metal.

                      About $200, or you can buy mine for $125 shipped that I ended up not using.

                      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-991102/?rtype=10
                      sigpic
                      2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                      2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                      2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                      2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                      2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Or you could do one of the following:

                        rag on a stick taped to the trans tunnel.

                        edge shaving gel smeared on the inside of the windshield

                        12v 400 cfm marine blower on a switch.
                        sigpic
                        2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                        2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                        2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                        2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                        2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JS154 View Post
                          Do the dash bar so it runs above the steering column.

                          If you want a heater box, ditch the stock one and use an auxiliary heater box for a Jeep (look in the back of ther Summit racing catalog) Much smaller, much lighter, easy to plumb anbd wire and it;a all metal.

                          About $200, or you can buy mine for $125 shipped that I ended up not using.

                          http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-991102/?rtype=10
                          electric heater correct?

                          Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                          they are not idiots.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Eric View Post
                            electric heater correct?
                            nope just a smaller, more robust, lighter, simpler heater core/blower and wiring.
                            sigpic
                            2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                            2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                            2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                            2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                            2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                              Lee, I studied that to death back when I did my cage V1, and trying to keep the heater core, heater box assembly as stock compromises the dash bar.
                              I couldn;t find any way around it.

                              When I did my 2nd, much more extensive cage, I put the dash bar where Kurt my cage guy wanted it and then figured I work out a heater/ defroster.
                              I then relocated my heater core and mounted an aftermarket fan and ducting.
                              That sorta worked pretty well.

                              I have since become paranoid about having the heater water in the car and taken it out. I'm going to go to the bilge blower with a heat sink / heat box off the floor like I saw in one of the Turner WC cars.
                              As much as I wanted to keep it, and thought I could figure out a work around, I ended up like everyone else and pulling it all out.
                              Just my .02
                              jimmy
                              Jimmy,

                              I'm about to go through my heater core in my street driven track car and would love to toss it in the garbage. Have you started to put together the alternate solution with the heat sink?

                              I love the simplicity of the concept and like you want to keep hot coolant out of the cabin. I'm willing to be the guinea pig if you can point me in the right direction with the parts you were contemplating.

                              Thanks,

                              -Kev

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X