Club Race Car Maintenance Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Race Car Maintenance Schedule

I am attempting to put together a robust schedule for my car so I don't carry an extra truck full of spares to the track.

Not too long ago there was a good thread on BF about track wearables. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1643254

But given that forum is a bit more E36-centric, it seemed appropriate to pose the question to the Club Racers who have been doing this for a long while with E30 M3s.

What are your maintenance intervals? What about wear and preventative items (eg, do you replace the water pump/gas pump/whatever after so many hours/mileage and keep it as a spare)? Fluids/bushings/bearings/shock rebuilds ...

Thanks.

Brian

I think you are looking for the answers from the guys with big pockets. I just keep an eye on rotors, brake pads, wheel bearings, and suspension parts and replace as needed. Change oil every 2 months. The stuff that brakes is usually the parts that could never be expected, like electrical components.

Comment

Having tracked/raced my e30 M3 for 8 years now, I have replaced almost everything on the car either at the track or after. I now carry an extensive list of spare parts/ tools with me to each event because there is nothing worse than missing track time. I can give you a list of items that I carry with me and items that I replace on a regular schedule.
      Every 2 years (assuming 6 total events in 2 years):
      Tie Rods
      Control Arms
      brake rotors (or every time I change to a different brake pad compound)
      Wheel bearings
      Wheel studs
      Engine Mounts (running polyurethane mounts-not the best but I treat them as a expanable part)
      Spark plug wires
      Coil
      Cap and rotor

Every year (3 events):
      Transmission and Gear Oil
      Brake Pads (I use a really soft compound that wears easily)
      Fuel Filter
      Spark plugs
      Replace all critical nuts and bolts include lower strut bolts, rear shock bolts, etc...

Every other event:
      Engine oil and filter
      Drain, flush and refill with Distilled water the radiator

Every Event:
      Nut and bolt entire car
      Check over entire suspension and setup for each track
      Replace anything that looks worn out or damaged

After an event, I put the car up on 4 jack stands and take the tires off. It stays that way until I am ready to go to another event and have completely checked over the car.

List of spares I take to every event:
      ECU
      Spark Plugs
      Coil
      Front wheel bearings with studs already installed
      Tie Rods
      Sway bar links both front and rear (have broken some hitting curbs)
      Complete set of pads and rotors
      In tank and external fuel pumps (have had those fail at track)
      Oil pump and water pump belts
      Spare hardware for every critical bolt on the car including lower strut bolts, rear shock bolts, etc as well as a vast assortment of metric hardware
      Spare relays, fuses and plenty of different gauge wire to fix those pesky electrical gremlins that always appear

I probably go alittle over the top with my maintance schedule and part changes but I get very little time off work and I cant waste an event dealing with a mechanical issue. So I plan for the worse and bring everything I need to fix my car. However, even with all this planning it usually happens that I break something I dont have a spare of. Then I buy a replacement part and 2 more of them for the future.

I hope this helps.
      Billy
      1989 M3 M3T #99
      1988 M3
      1988 M5
      1986 Euro M6
      1976 2002
      1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 "Flying Stuck" recreation
      www.vsr1.com

Comment

Billy:

Thanks for the list! Definitely heavy on the spares. I'm surprised you are carrying extra bearings given you change the fronts so often ... but if you have the room, why not.

Brian

Comment

Most of all those spares fit into one large tote, its heavy but doesnt take up too much room in the trailer. I take the wheel bearings because I had a right front fail on me once at NHMS when we were running the oval and it ruined the weekend. It also made it really tough to get back on the trailer. I guess my reasoning is why not? And besides its always nice to help out other people at the track when they need spare parts so I like to have alot around.
          1989 M3 M3T #99
          1988 M3
          1988 M5
          1986 Euro M6
          1976 2002
          1972 3.0 CSL Group 2 "Flying Stuck" recreation
          www.vsr1.com

Comment

Originally posted by JrIIIRacing View Post
            Most of all those spares fit into one large tote, its heavy but doesnt take up too much room in the trailer. I take the wheel bearings because I had a right front fail on me once at NHMS when we were running the oval and it ruined the weekend. It also made it really tough to get back on the trailer. I guess my reasoning is why not? And besides its always nice to help out other people at the track when they need spare parts so I like to have alot around.
            Absolutely. The first time I brought a spare water pump to the track I ended up giving it to Ozgur (lucid). Definitely nice to see him get back on the track pretty quickly.

Of course he blew the engine up at NJMP the next weekend, but that's another story.

Brian

Comment

I asked for your engine when mine blew, and you weren't willing to part with it. Otherwise, I would have won that grand DE championship at NJMP that day!

Seriously, waterpump is probably a no brainer spare. I also just ordered a bunch of coolant hoses as a spare set after running into some issues with hoses earlier. I pack some wheel studs and nuts as well. I guess one should have belts, too. Not as extensive as Billy's list for sure...
              sigpic

Comment

I'm beginning to think rod bearings should be added to this list at some interval if you rev the car higher than 7600... Had Mario @ VSR tell me he sees rod bearings come out of cars revving lower looking perfect, cars revving higher looking worn...

YMMV...
                sigpic
                Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

I bring a ton of spares.

motor and trans mounts
                  control arms with lollipops mounted
                  tie rods
                  shifter and linkage.
                  trans crossmember
                  engine mounting arms
                  assorted sway bars
                  sway bar brackets
                  sway bar links
                  oil cooler
                  radiator
                  coolant cap
                  ECU
                  diff
                  clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, t/o bearing, arm, pivot pin
                  pads rotors fluids
                  plugs - XR2CS, XR4CS, X5DCS, wires, cap, rotor, coil
                  ABS sensors, all
                  ABS computer
                  headlights
                  header and gaskets upper and lower
                  head bolts, new
                  wheel bearings, 1 front, 1 rear, including axle nut and lockplate front and rear
                  wheel studs and nuts
                  asssorted wire, hose, cables
                  box full of various types sizes shapes of metal and plastic for kluge fixes.
                  spare head gasket X2, different thicknesses
                  water pump
                  thermostat
                  extra sensors of all types, incl water and O2 sensors, narrow and wideband.
                  spare stock assembled cylinder head
                  spare rod bearings
                  spare axle half shaft
                  nuts bolts of a gazillion types
                  spare throttle cable
                  spare harnesses and window net and right side net and roll bar padding, both types
                  spare brake ducts and backing plates and duct hose
                  extra fteflon/steel braided fluid tubing

anything worn that comes off goes in the spares bin

lots of tape. gaffers tape, clear packing tape and aluminum tape are used most frequesntly for all sorts of things. duct tape...nope that stuff is shite compared to gaffers tape.
                  helicopter tape
                  all sorts of goop. silicone, emblem adhesive, JB weld, super glue etc etc
                  all types of loctite
                  all sorts of cutting banging pulling pushing pounding tools
                  baling wire, light
                  fence wire, heavy
                  fiberglass mat, cloth and resin/hardener
                  extra required decals

That's a partial list off the top of my head.
                  Last edited by JS154; 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM.
                  sigpic
                  2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                  2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                  2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                  2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                  2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Originally posted by bstein View Post
                    I am attempting to put together a robust schedule for my car so I don't carry an extra truck full of spares to the track.

Not too long ago there was a good thread on BF about track wearables. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1643254

But given that forum is a bit more E36-centric, it seemed appropriate to pose the question to the Club Racers who have been doing this for a long while with E30 M3s.

What are your maintenance intervals? What about wear and preventative items (eg, do you replace the water pump/gas pump/whatever after so many hours/mileage and keep it as a spare)? Fluids/bushings/bearings/shock rebuilds ...

Thanks.

Brian
                    My J-Stock Bilstein suspension have 50,000 race miles, three owners and 19 years on them and I set track records on them up until the day i took them off the car. And they do not need to be rebuilt. They were one of the sets of test shocks used to develop the Turner J-Stock shock rates, back in the early 90's.

fuilds get changed all the time
                    fuel pumps are pretty long lived
                    stock water pumps are pretty long lived too.
                    control arms, every few years.
                    pads - when they get down to halfway they get checuked in the spares bin.

rotors - on an hourly schedule, I think I do rotors every 20ish race hours, have to look at the log

tires - I have been able to get 12 heat cycles out of Hoosiers
                    I currently run BFG's and they are gripper and don;t overheat as easily. I have one set with 7 heat cycles that have pleenty of life an time left as far as i can tell.

decals get changed every other year, or sooner if they look crappy.

my spares list is really for in case there's an incident and something brekas as a result, I have what I need to get back on track, like at Road America last year.
                    sigpic
                    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                    2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                    2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                    2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                    2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Js154. You can't possibly be married?
                      Wow. Amazed. This is craziness. That is a lot of stuff.

If it does not fit in the car, or on my tire trailer pulled behind my car-----i don't need it. Well, I sometimes do. I guess I should have said, I am not bringing it.
                      Last edited by temple; 07-12-2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
                        I'm beginning to think rod bearings should be added to this list at some interval if you rev the car higher than 7600... Had Mario @ VSR tell me he sees rod bearings come out of cars revving lower looking perfect, cars revving higher looking worn...

YMMV...
                        I read once that the man behind Iigomotiv software (which I don't recall his name at the mo) observed exactly the same and said there were lubrication issues above 7600revs on the S14 standard crank.

Comment

You running stock oem rotors or the evo's...just wondering,need to order.plan on time trailing mine
                          "Straights are for fast cars,turns are for fast drivers"

Comment

Originally posted by JS154 View Post
                            I bring a ton of spares.
                            That's a partial list off the top of my head.
                            That's impressive. I guess I should just park next to you! :gotcha:

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
                              Good to know. I'll double-check my shift light settings ...

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X