Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

Group N damping/rebound specs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by LeeVuong
    There's another M3 in the entry list
    http://www.targanewfoundland.com/drivers/cars/2012/27/
    VSR built that car. Saw it at his shop recently and it looked very well done.
    sigpic
    Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Brendan View Post
      VSR built that car. Saw it at his shop recently and it looked very well done.
      I am just realizing that this car is orange and that it will sport a Jagermeister livery. I expect some pictures very soon. ;-) also, another M3 was supposed to attend the event, but Herb Wong's car blew its engine this summer. It did very well last year at Targa.

      http://www.targanewfoundland.com/drivers/cars/2011/88/



      And there was Nick "I like bumping into houses" Papayanis from the 2008 Targa. In 2009 they trailered a complete M3, following them throughout the complete rallye. ;-)

      Last edited by LeeVuong; 08-25-2012, 05:24 AM.


      [email protected]

      1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

      Comment


      • #18
        I am experimenting with a pair of Bilstein rear shocks with custom valving, 46mm piston. With the schrader valve it is easier to revalve. I am not sure if travel will be too restricted, but there is scope to space the RSM a bit. I'll catch up with the shock guy in a few weeks to go through the valving for the fronts and these





        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Gstlund View Post
          I ordered a set of these about two weeks ago from www.sellholm.se shortened to match the free length of the GrpN springs.

          Both Bilstein workshops I have talked too do not recommend the GrpN shocks unless you are running a race car with multipoint welded cage and slicks. Those GrpN dampers are seriously stiff.
          I have been told that those GrpN damper setting derived from an optimization within technical race regulation and tracks raced at that time.

          I choose the Club Sport setting because I am only running semi-slicks and doing track days on track and the car is not caged (yet). Furthermore the tracks are generally about 2.5 km in length and relatively twisty so there is not that big amount of sweeping true high speed corners.
          Turner J-Stock shocks are 300/300 -grpN. For a stockish weight E30M3 on Rcompounds on the track they are tough to beat. I had a set with 50,000 race miles on them. Yes Fifty thousnad race miles. they did not need to be rebuilt.
          sigpic
          2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
          2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
          2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
          2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
          2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

          Comment


          • #20
            if someone wanted to take the GrpN coilovers to their 2020 'racecar' maximum (gutted/caged/2.7l/AP brakes), what springs would I use and what should they be valved to?

            T

            Comment


            • #21
              To me, spring rates is like brake bias. It is not so much the rate by itself, but the front to rear distribution. In the case of spring rates on a car with an S14, I was using rear springs (in stock location) that had a rate 50%+ higher than front. Rear sway bar on soft setting. That gave me a car that I could easily steer on throttle on and throttle off. A car that could steer on throttle and slide on all four wheels in all confidence. I liked my suspension set to the soft side as it allowed to drive on curbs without upsetting the car. 375# front and 775# rear


              [email protected]

              1969 2002 racecar
              1989 M3 racecar
              e39 Touring

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                To me, spring rates is like brake bias. It is not so much the rate by itself, but the front to rear distribution. In the case of spring rates on a car with an S14, I was using rear springs (in stock location) that had a rate 50%+ higher than front. Rear sway bar on soft setting. That gave me a car that I could easily steer on throttle on and throttle off. A car that could steer on throttle and slide on all four wheels in all confidence. I liked my suspension set to the soft side as it allowed to drive on curbs without upsetting the car. 375# front and 775# rear
                what was the power of the car? what was the build of the car?

                T

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

                  what was the power of the car? what was the build of the car?

                  T
                  Stock 200hp engine with Jim Conforti chip. Basic Bilstein Sport / Ground Control springs and adjusters, Front and rear Suspension Technique swaybars. Full interior and roll bar. 235.40.17 R compounds. Basically a street and track driven M3. Cars drives like a go-kart. ;-)


                  [email protected]

                  1969 2002 racecar
                  1989 M3 racecar
                  e39 Touring

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post
                    if someone wanted to take the GrpN coilovers to their 2020 'racecar' maximum (gutted/caged/2.7l/AP brakes), what springs would I use and what should they be valved to?

                    T
                    Need more info:
                    What does the car weigh?
                    What tires, and size?
                    F/R weight distribution?
                    What sways bars? rear bar or no? is the diff specially ramped or stock?
                    How is the car being used? Racing for a championship, track days, driven to the track, street car?
                    sigpic
                    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                    2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                    2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                    2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                    2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by JS154 View Post

                      Need more info:
                      What does the car weigh?
                      What tires, and size?
                      F/R weight distribution?
                      What sways bars? rear bar or no? is the diff specially ramped or stock?
                      How is the car being used? Racing for a championship, track days, driven to the track, street car?
                      2450 with driver
                      235/40/17 R comps
                      corner weighted
                      ST sways yes rear, 4.45 diff don't really remember the ramps or clutches
                      HPDE/driven to track sometimes/street legal

                      I have the GrpN coil overs on the car now with the 'rain setup'. I love it. On the street it is livable but with the 50% more power I know have, I need to go higher spec.

                      T



                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by HANDBLT View Post

                        2450 with driver
                        235/40/17 R comps
                        corner weighted
                        ST sways yes rear, 4.45 diff don't really remember the ramps or clutches
                        HPDE/driven to track sometimes/street legal

                        I have the GrpN coil overs on the car now with the 'rain setup'. I love it. On the street it is livable but with the 50% more power I know have, I need to go higher spec.

                        T


                        Do you? Sure, you will be faster between the corners, but the corners are still the corners. If you were already tyre limited under braking, corner entry, mid corner and exit, and you were enjoying the handling as it was, why change? If you are not chasing lap times, stick with what you enjoy.

                        I would also be wary of changing the suspension set-up without first trying it with the new engine. The golden rule is only change one thing at a time.



                        Sport Evo No.47

                        My Sport Evo Restoration

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by stevesingo View Post

                          Do you? Sure, you will be faster between the corners, but the corners are still the corners. If you were already tyre limited under braking, corner entry, mid corner and exit, and you were enjoying the handling as it was, why change? If you are not chasing lap times, stick with what you enjoy.

                          I would also be wary of changing the suspension set-up without first trying it with the new engine. The golden rule is only change one thing at a time.


                          Oh yeah I am not going to change the suspension this year. Im just going to get the engine fully mapped on track and drivability nailed down. We are close already. Ill be at road Atlanta next weekend for the first track day. I need to hammer out my cooling issues first thought.

                          T

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X