Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cage Question

Hey Guys,

We are working on putting a cage in my car and we put in larger rear strut towers using 1/8" sheet. We have the back half of the cage ready to burn in and I was wondering if I needed to have 1/8" plates as well even though the new strut towers are 1/8" inch. I guess the questions is can I go bar to new 1/8" strut tower or do I need to go bar to 1/8" 6x6 plate and then to the new 1/8" strut tower? Any advise would be appreciated, I just do not want SCCA or other sanctions freaking out. Thanks!

Sam

Hello Sam, I have the same setup for my rear cage/shock towers. I would love to say that the 1/8" plates would not be necessary, but I'm really not in a position to say so. I can say that my car does not have the base plates, but rather the cage bolts directly into the shock towers (actually goes through the towers and the rear coilovers bolt directly into the cross bar in the back). Anyway, do you have a SCCA (or which ever sanctioning body you'll be running with) contact? It would ultimately be their call I think. Obviously your fabricator could vouch for its sturdiness but it comes down to being approved by the sanctioning body's tech steward..).

-Terry

Comment

This question is too vague w/o photos. It depends on the class of racing and what the rules allow. Quite frankly your cage builder should already know what is and what is not allowed, we sure do.

sigpic

Comment

You are right, it is kind of vague but that is because I am new to this. See below for a picture of the rear set up. There will be another bar from the harness bar/main hoop intersection that also ties into the sub frame reinforcement.

As far as class.... Well I am not sure, I am just trying to get it right so that I do not have any issues in the future. The fabricator does not think that I needs plates and I am the questioning it and wanted to verify. Since the new rear strut towers are 1/8th plate, the additional plate probably is not needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Subframe Tie In.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	843834

Comment

Based on some cars I've seen teched/passsed out there, and having used to put cages in cars myself, I wouldn't question the structural integrity due to you using thick enough plating. Of course, I still think it comes down to the discretion of a tech steward... They're the ultimate say. I like how your fabricator bent the tube coming from the rear shock tower to the subframe pick-up point. I recall using a mallet and straight tube for my own car

Comment

Yea those are my thoughts as well. I do not think it is needed but I wonder if tech will hassle me. Thanks for the complement!

Comment

I like how the strut towers are done. I always thought it would be easier to take a large diameter piece of tube with appropriate wall thickness and weld it in and just weld a cap on it. Did you move the mounting location of the rear shock inward? Are you going to coil overs?

AST Suspension | Facebook | Blog

Comment

Thanks! The rear mounts are stock right now although I have the ability to move them inward or run a true coilover in the rear if I want to. I am just trying to cover all of my bases and hoping to not have to redo anything later.... lol..

Sam

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-10-2012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	843851

Comment

It's a real good idea to read the rules before you start welding.

Are you building a rally car?

http://cagethis.com/regulations/

http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44472
                    sigpic
                    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion
                    2011, 2013 SCCA Runoffs Super Touring Under 3.0L Bronze Medalist
                    2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year
                    2012 SCCA Northeast Divisional STU Champion
                    2015 SCCA Runoffs STU Polesitter

Comment

Some over due pics of the cage progress for those interested.

Comment

Working...
                      X