Roll cage build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll cage build

The M3 is now ready for some cage building. I have removed the doors and will shave as much weight as I can from those heavy shells. Front and rear towers as well as differential will be tied to the cage. I will try to update on a daily basis. BTW The car was a Henna Red on the initial assembly line. Then it got painted Cinnabar Red. Go figure.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...2267056&type=1

Did I mention that the DTM rear suspension will be replicated. Only a few sets will be made on spare shop time. It will be a close replica but not 100%. Same pick-up points on the subframe with a lesser sweep angle, same adjustments (rollcenter, camber and toe) but the subframe will only be raised by 12mm. It looks like the late Motorsport subframe has been raised by around 25mm, which will not be suitable with cars have their fuel tank in the stock location.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

hi Lee, is it this rear suspension that you will replicate?

Comment

Yes for the trailing arm. And half yes for the subframe. ;-) The subframe will have the proper pick-up points for trailing arms. But we're not touching the mounting points for the swaybar. Also, one interesting points is that the two long bolts that attach the DTM subframe to the shell are super lightweight titanium. They probably weight 20% of steel. That's pretty impressive. Next week we are taking apart the subframe and trailing arms to measure the gauge of the tubing and plates, as well as the size of the rod ends. I highly suspect that rod ends, spherical joints and bolts are Standard (SAE) but that some heads have been modified by Motorsport to metric standard. One aspect we are a bit unsure now is the attachement for the calipers (they will perhaps be compatible for an AP Racing CP8350 caliper over Massive's 310x32mm floating discs. Also, we are thinking using off-the-shelf M Coupe wheel bearings.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

Comment

Subscribed and pm'd Lee!
        Joseph

Comment

Not related to the cage itself, but will be used to hold the DME under the dash once folded.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
          1989 M3 racecar
          e39 Touring

Comment

Should be an interesting build.
            Several E30 M3's.

More than I need but not as many as I want....

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
              Not related to the cage itself, but will be used to hold the DME under the dash once folded.

nice part Lee, are you planning to do a batch?
              will you cut the holes with a laser cut, or stamping/punching like the grA ones

julien

Comment

I'd like one of those as well!

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                they are not idiots.

Comment

I am currently having a cost estimation for a batch of 20 units. Made from 2mm aluminum.

I have checked the layout this morning on two M3s. It works. But as both cars have had the supplemental right hand side steering cluster removed, I will have to make tetst on a car with it in place. Will also work if the dash bar is located in the right location: above the steering cluster, not as a knee bar. I'll post a FS thrad in the appropriate section when Ihave them in hand. Shall be two weeks.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                  1989 M3 racecar
                  e39 Touring

Comment

Purchased 40 gummi things ;-) to softmount the DME, the fuel pumps etc.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                    1989 M3 racecar
                    e39 Touring

Comment

Lee, what's the source of those? Are these the OEM BMW piece used to mount the fuel pump / filter?
                      sigpic
                      Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Comment

they're just rubber isolators, you can get them anywhere:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rubb...w=1320&bih=552

Grainger has a nice selection as well

Comment

Yes. They are common. I bought mine from German eBay as it was less than half the price (even with shipping) compared to getting them from a US source.

eBay source

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....L:COSI:CA:1123

US source

https://www.belmetric.com/rpb0170r-r...l?cPath=14_497

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                          1989 M3 racecar
                          e39 Touring

Comment

Whoever was interested in a DME "craddle", please visit the classifieds. I have 20 units ready.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...DTM-DME-holder

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                            1989 M3 racecar
                            e39 Touring

Comment

Any new pics on the roll cage build?

1989 Diamond Black M3
                              2004 Jet Black 330i ClubSport

Comment

Working...
                              X