Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the forum and very new to E30 ownership.

In September of last year I bought a 2011 M3 sedan, excited about the V8 and ready for a taste of the legendary M3 badge. While the car was impressive, its limits were pretty far beyond what was achievable on public roads and I missed the raw connection to the road offered by cars like my (1971) 2002. I worked out a trade deal with a coworker for his 1988 DS and couldn't be happier. The car has 125k miles, all original body panels, and is essentially stock. There are some 'weekend projects' to get it up to date on maintenance and running smoothly but I am really enjoying the car. Please enjoy these photos, taken today after the first wash. I've already spent many hours poring over the forum and I look forward to being a part of the community.

For those curious, here's my (former) E90. Searched high and low for this configuration - 6-speed, competition package, no iDrive, cloth seats, and no sunroof.

1988 Lachs
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Both cars are absolutely gorgeous.
    Welcome!
    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Welcome to the forum and to the E30 M3! Your car is beautiful example and seems to be well taken care of. Also I really like your taste on the options of your E90! This is how I would like to option it out myself. Looking forward to see posts of what you do to the E30.

Regards,
      Hugo
      Photobucket

Comment

Looks clean and very very well kept. Post some updates when you make them.
        Enjoy!

Comment

Too bad you couldn't keep both. That E30 was very well kept. Well played sir. :-)
          There'll be Spandex jackets one for everyone ...

Comment

Very nice that E90 looked sick too! Welcome to the community

Comment

Welcome and as others have mentioned, your taste in the modern is on par with mine.

The E30 is a knockout.

Where are you located? If you are in So Cal there are quite a few local meets may be of interest.
              John 3:17

Comment

Welcome! Beautiful cars

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome. The E90 was a special car... there is something hilarious about a sedan that can hustle and make noises like that V8 could. I think it'll be a future classic, but it just wasn't working out for me at this point in time. I know that my coworker will take good care of it.

The E30 is a solid car but it needs some TLC, and I got started on some projects today. The temperature gauge hasn't been working and the engine is running a bit rough - high idle, poor fuel economy, and feels down on power. I swapped out both coolant temperature sensors today and got the gauge working again. I also did an oil change and installed the Turner baffle while I was down there. Tomorrow I plan to do transmission and diff fluid - Redline Lightweight Shockproof for the transmission and Mobil 1 75w90 in the back (local store didn't have Redline 75w90). I'm hoping to improve the shift action, because it currently feels like the shifter is full of rocks.

While I fixed the gauge issue I'm still seeing high idle (~1200 ish), difficult warm starting, and low power (at least in comparison to my 180hp-ish turbo Miata). I've got a variety of gaskets from the previous owner to try to tackle some of the vacuum leaks that I'm hearing. What's a good technique to isolate the source of a leak underhood? Are there any 'usual suspects' I should pursue? I have on hand new header gaskets and Turner studs, valve cover gasket, and a Turner throttle body gasket repair kit.

*edit* Oh yeah, I'm located in the SF bay area. Would love to get together with some other owners and learn more about my car. Also, here's a snap of my other bimmer...

1988 Lachs
                  1988 DS - sold
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Koing,

Tha throttle body gaskets are known for going bad, so replacing them and using the turner gasket is a good idea. I also recommend to replace the o-ring from the plenum to air horns, the o-rings from air horns to throttle bodies and the o-rings that serve the idle air screws and the final o-ring the one that goes in the large brass screw that is between throttle bodies. This will garuntee the throttle bodies are 100%. Also replace the idle control valve (icv) below the throttle bodies if this goes bad it could fry your ecu. Another thing is the cooling system there are close to 13 hoses so check theses. Hope this helps and keep us posted.
                    Hugo
                    Photobucket

Comment

Welcome!!!

Like everyone said, both cars are beautiful! I cant help but to be curious on how the trade went.. how much cash on top? If any at all? =)
                      I always loved the M Sedans!

Andy

sigpic

Comment

congrats looks like a great example of e30 m3👍

Comment

Welcome! Love both cars, something about Alpine on an M's... DS is cool too though

Comment

Welcome!
                            -Gabe
                            '89 Zinno M3 Project

Comment

Made some progress this weekend... not as much as I wanted, but some good first steps. Turner baffle went in to the oil pan.

Swapped the diff fluid today, which was refreshingly straightforward. Went to tackle the transmission and hit a speed bump with the fill plug. No way I'm getting a wrench in there... I found some older threads with suggestions for stubbier tools so I'll see what I can do. Will probably get 'male' plugs to replace these and make life easier in the future. So, crunchy gearbox continues for the time being.

Next projects is to aim the headlamps - any tips for the units I have? I know they're not stock and the couple knobs I see don't appear to move them around too much.
                              1988 Lachs
                              1988 DS - sold
                              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                              X