No announcement yet.

Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon's wheels were enough to convince me that I need to downsize. After looking around for 16s for a bit, I found a local set of 16x8 BBS RX223s that are essentially brand new. I don't love them as much as my LMs, but for the price they've got a lot going for them - light, BBS brand/quality, handsome, good size and offset (ET15).

1988 Lachs
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Can;t wait to see the RX's on your M3. I've been looking for a nice set of these for a while
      88' E30 M3 | Zinnoberrot & Tan | Various Goodies = OEM+

Register your E30 M3!
      http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

• RX223s are mounted with 225/45/16 Star Specs. I'm happy with how it looks and drives.

I continue to put miles on the car and drive it often, though today was on the wet side. Went up to Jon's to return his wheels and check in on his M3 projects.

I've decided to move away from the M-Tech 2 steering wheel, the alcantara is nice but too high-maintenance for me. I've ordered a couple period leather wheels from the UK and I'll mock them up and decide which one looks and feels right when they arrive. Beyond that, it's going to be a quiet couple of months... delayed honeymoon will take up most of November and then only a couple of weeks before the holidays.
        1988 Lachs
        1988 DS - sold
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• An update after a dry spell. I've been puttering along in the car and enjoying myself.

The colder weather finally drove my belt squealing beyond any level that could be ignored. I dug in to replace my alternator mounts and bits. I bought (so long ago that I don't remember where) some new bushings for the two alternator mounts, and started taking stuff apart. In keeping with this car's theme, everything that could be worn out was worn out. This is the bolt that attaches the alternator adjuster bracket to the block:

That doesn't look quite right. Here's the bushing of the bracket itself - ovaled out:

Nice. So, $97 later I have a new bracket that probably costs about $4 to manufacture. A new bolt and adjuster gear too.

I started putting it all back together, and it was going nicely until I went to thread in the lower adjuster bracket bolt to the block.

Yes, my friends... the threaded boss on the block is stripped. I should have expected this, given the condition of the bolt. There are no straightforward projects on this car... everything cascades into either "well we should fix that while we're in here" or "WTF...?"

So, I have ordered some helicoil inserts and will go buy a right-angle compact drill tomorrow, and pray that the ~6-7" I have to play with is enough to get the helicoil installed. if not, the fan and radiator are going to need to come out. What a pain.

In other news, I installed the first of the two period wheels I bought to replace the M-Tech alcantara. This is a 365mm Nardi, I am a fan of it so far. The leather gives good grip, the design I think suits the car, it may just be a little bit thinner-rimmed than ideal but I am happy with it for now.

For a laugh, I also removed my wing and plugged the holes with grommets and bolts. I am going to run like that for a little while, just for kicks. I'm fairly certain it will look awful but, like the M-System turbine wheels, it might just be so awful that it's kind of cool. We shall see.

Hopefully I'll have something positive to report by the end of the weekend.
          1988 Lachs
          1988 DS - sold
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Success! I wasn't sure it would work, but I managed to pull it off. The helicoil kit arrived in the mail, so I went off to Home Depot and bought a right-angle drill, tap handle, high-strength cutoff wheel for my dremel, and sacrificial 21/64 drill bit.

The Milwaukee drill fit with just enough space for an abbreviated 21/64 bit.

No picture, but I cut the drill down to essentially zero shank. Then the scary part... drilling a hole on an S14. With the over-size hole drilled, next was to go after it with the provided tap:

As you can see, tight quarters with the humongous tap handle.

The result was a tapped thread ready for the helicoil to be installed:

And the end result:

No more squeaking! It was dark by the time I finished but I'll be back tomorrow with some photos of a de-winged M3.

1988 Lachs
            1988 DS - sold
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• I don't think it looks bad! I don't know that it would work on a bright-colored car, but with a darker car and smaller wheels I feel like it comes together.

1988 Lachs
              1988 DS - sold
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• You should caution anyone else who will open your trunk to keep their face/chin away from it when they hit the release button.
                Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

• Such an incredible build!

I love your attention to detail, and also your documentation.

This is "to the t" the exact plan of action I have scheduled for my new addition.

Beautiful work. Did you ever mount the style 5s? They are some of my favorite wheels on an M3.

Comment

• Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                    Such an incredible build!

I love your attention to detail, and also your documentation.

This is "to the t" the exact plan of action I have scheduled for my new addition.

Beautiful work. Did you ever mount the style 5s? They are some of my favorite wheels on an M3.
                    Glad you're enjoying it! Thank you.

No, I did not ever get a chance to mount the Style 5s. User Jhaurimn mounted them to his car and had some nice photos (also a great build thread!):
                    https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...72#post1229872
                    1988 Lachs
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Good Stuff Konig! Keeping s14 alive with these posts!

sigpic

Comment

• Symptom:

- Clutch sometimes not returning when depressed, have to pull back with toe
                        - Mysteriously vanishing brake fluid
                        - [didn't notice] Driver footwell wet with fluid...

Suspects:

- Various hose connections and fittings: no visible issues
                        - Air in clutch line: bled system, no improvement (for this and previous, had not yet noticed wet footwell)
                        - Slave cylinder: reasonably new but chewed up the plastic elbow a bit when doing the new master last year. Elbow didn't appear to be leaking, new one swapped in anyway (below)

Culprit:

- Hose from reservoir looks like so... eek:

Solution:

- Trim back hose and reconnect, or
                        - Order new hose for $10. I'm in no rush so I will go this route and sleep a little easier.
                        - Clean footwell of brake fluid
                        - Figure out / fix what was rubbing against the line.
                        1988 Lachs
                        1988 DS - sold
                        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• I replaced the hose and put it all back together. I test drove it and things were going well until the clutch pedal started doing the "not coming back up off the floor very well" thing sporadically again. I hooked up a pressure bleeder and tried again. Only did about 10 miles, we'll see if things are back to normal. I find that I do not like the stock Sachs clutch kit very much... it's too light and a bit on the vague side as a result. I'm not smooth with it, and of my 4 cars it's the worst. I need to drive another stock E30M and see if something unusual is going on with mine.

While this was happening with the M3, the tii had dispatched its brake fluid all over the driveway way back in November and I simply had not had the time to address it until this weekend. So today I managed to get both bimmers back on the road. Both had dead batteries after prolonged sitting.

This was supposed to just be a photo of the 02 jumping the M3, but I managed to capture the entire fleet. All mine of course save for Benny the Blazer.

1988 Lachs
                          1988 DS - sold
                          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Drove the M3 some more and the clutch is misbehaving again. Puttering around the neighborhood tonight, the pedal was failing to return maybe 30% of the time. This is in addition to poor pedal feel and generally clunky engagement and disengagement. The fluid level in the reservoir is fine, I'm not seeing evidence of leaks. I'm sure it's possible that there's still some air in the system, but the symptoms I'm seeing seem extreme for a few bubbles and I think the clutch master is the culprit. It's barely more than a year old so I didn't suspect it, but it's hard to argue with what's going on. I checked my receipts and I saved a few bucks going with the Febi unit vs. the OE unit ($50 vs $180)... with all that work Jon and I did I went with the cheaper option only on a very small number of the parts. I think this was one of the last things I had to open my wallet for and I was tired of shelling out for the BMW-branded stuff, go figure. Looks like I need to plunk down for the real deal and contort my way back into the footwell.

If you have any other grand ideas or things I should check first, speak now while I wait for the new master to ship! I just want to drive my car again!!
                            1988 Lachs
                            1988 DS - sold
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• I received the BMW clutch master and installed last night. I am incredibly happy to report that the problem is solved and the car finally drives as it should. When I bought the car, the slave was bad and the pedal feel was simultaneously heavy and vague. After replacing most everything clutch-related with Jon, the pedal feel was improved - light, but still vague and inconsistent. Even before this issue with the pedal failing to return it was challenging to drive smoothly and as a result, extremely frustrating. I had driven a couple of other E30Ms and both of them were better. My car simply felt 'off.'

After replacing the master yesterday, the pedal feel is smooth and linear, light, and engagement (and disengagement) is as it should be. It is an huge relief. It's hard to believe it, but in the 2 years I've owned this car this is the first time it has ever driven correctly. I spent an hour blasting around backroads and onramps running it out to 7k. Here are some photos from the endeavor.

Swapping the master cylinder is very straightforward, but the few connections you have to release are annoying to access. Disconnecting the master hardline - my right hand just barely fit in there to thread it on/off

Contorting myself to remove the mount bolts in the footwell

BMW (top) vs Febi

I dissected the Febi unit before installing the BMW piece. This is my first time opening up a master cylinder but I didn't see any obvious issues... no weird scoring on the bore, and the seals looked okay.

My theory is that the check valve was not able to work correctly, due to the height of these two small projections. Either due to poor design or being out of tolerance, the projections extend too far and prevent the check valve 'switch' (black) from compressing sufficiently against the end of the cylinder. Without the switch opening up enough, fluid cannot feed in from the reservoir and assist in returning the pedal to disengaged position. To really test this I could have opened up my new BMW unit, but I didn't want to risk damaging seals so instead I compared performance by hand. When I used my thumb to bottom out the Febi unit, there was not a distinct feeling of the check valve depressing evenly. The BMW unit was much more distinct. Hard to explain, and maybe not even the source of the issue, but it's my best guess.

In any case, I am happy to report that BOTH of my BMWs are running again and I do not plan to smell or touch brake fluid again in the near future...
                              1988 Lachs
                              1988 DS - sold
                              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Good info. What brand is the "BMW Original" clutch MC?
                                Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
                                1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
                                2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
                                http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

Working...
                                X