No announcement yet.

Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission shouldn't be too tough to replace right? Didn't the E30 M3 share a transmission with one or more e28 variants? (Not an expert here but I recall reading this)
    '88 BMW M3 Henna/Black - Project Thread
    '87 Saab Airflow convertible - 335whp/330ft-lbs March 2010 Eurotuner Magazine Feature Car

Comment

• I went all-in on the transmission hunt last week, calling every BMW shop and dismantler in the bay area (and beyond) trying to find a 265/6. There was a local option with 109k miles from a junkyard, which was my backup while I called around. I was hesitant to take the plunge because, while it was offered with a 6-month warranty, I still preferred to find something that someone could testify was good and save me from having to do the job more than once.

I talked to a lot of people, some more helpful than others, and they gave me new people to try, but to no avail. In fact, I am fairly certain that one of the shops I called bought the backup 109k mile transmission out from under me. He pulled it up while we were on the phone, made a lot of comments about how hard they are to find (oh really? I hadn't noticed), and the next day I called the junkyard and it had sold. It may have been a coincidence, but I was pretty furious and I have a feeling if I call that shop back the guy will suddenly have something to offer me.

I opened up my hunt and managed to locate a transmission in a nearby state. The price is a bit above the market rate, but I'm tired of being jerked around and the seller has been very helpful with information and additional photos for me. He's committed to refunding my money if the transmission doesn't perform as-described when it arrives, so I'm taking the plunge. He'll pack it up this week, and with any hope this transmission ordeal may finally come to an end. Fingers are crossed.

In other news, a couple weekends ago I went to the Weathertech whatever-it's-called-now IMSA race at Laguna Seca. Was pleased to see BMW eke out a win with its M6 GTLM car (just 0.15s ahead of the Ferrari 488). Unfortunately my friends and I decided to leave the corkscrew and watch the end of the race down by the main grandstand, so we missed the "pass of the year" through the corkscrew for the P1 class win, oh well. Some of my photos:

In the last bit of news for this entry - I have listed my Integra Type-R on BringATrailer. Feel free to pass the link along if you know someone who's in the market.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...egra-type-r-7/

1988 DS
      Thread
      Photos
      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Don't look now, but I have a transmission in my garage. Also an M-Tech dead pedal.

Can't wait to drop it in the with the proper Evo flywheel.

Type R sold for a good amount on BaT, buyer is flying in Friday to finish the deal and drive it home. I'm about to have more garage space!
        1988 DS
        Thread
        Photos
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• On the 20th, the winner of the auction for my Type R came out to retrieve the car. He met me at a bank, spent all of 30 seconds looking at the car, and started on his 2,000-mile journey back to the east coast. I thought my 800-mile trip was tough when I bought it, he must have ankles of iron because that thing doesn't have cruise control. He did it solo and made it home without the car missing a beat. I hope he enjoys the VTEC life! Here's one last picture of the fleet with the R.

The M3 is slated to get its new transmission installed on Saturday. To say that I'm excited is an understatement. I've been waiting (and whining) for soooooooo long, not that I need to remind you if you've followed the thread.

I enjoyed the extra space in my garage for, uh... 10 days. First, a friend of mine needed a place to stash his car while his garage is being painted. In exchange for keeping it in my garage, he let me take it for a spin.

Hoooooly... I've driven an '06 Cayman S once for a short bit, but no Porsches besides. This thing is magic. It must be the greatest street car under (well, MSRP when new) $100k. Everything about it felt special and high quality and made the drive feel like an epic experience. As soon as you open the doors, you're flopping into the carbon buckets, which make you feel like you're in a 918. The steering wheel is small, alcantara, and quite close to your chest. The shifter likewise is high, right up at your hand. The console swoops up and the driving position is surprisingly reclined. The tach is enormous and dead center. It all feels serious, exciting and special. The clutch is heavy but easy to work, the brake pedal is extremely firm. The motor sounds incredible, I can't even describe it. I'd drive a Dodge Neon with 33hp if it made the sound this car makes. My drive wasn't too long but I spent most of the time repeating "wow" over and over again. I think I said before that I'd be disappointed if I spent $80k on that ATS-V, because it didn't feel special. This GT4 was the opposite. I'd be marveling at how much of a bargain I'd gotten if I'd secured this driving experience for just $100k. Wow wow wow. You'd never need anything more than this on the street.

So, me being me, before the R was gone I was already scheming my next car moves. As I've posted previously, there are some cars that have piqued my interest, and some of them I gave very serious consideration, like the R32 Skyline GT-R. At the same time, I look at my fleet of cars and what I have is 3 impractical and potentially unreliable old sports cars. One of them always needs work. Recently we drove down to LA for a concert and I, the guy with 4 cars, had to rent a Malibu because nothing in my garage was pleasant or reliable for the trip. That doesn't make sense. I love my cars and I have a high tolerance for putting up with stuff, but the idea of a brand new car with warranty and some practicality was extremely appealing. An R32 GT-R would be another 25 year-old car that needs refurb, however nice, with the added bonus of being JDM and the difficulty of sourcing parts that that would entail. So, here were my criteria:
          • ~$40k
          • "practical"
          • at least 300hp
          • manual transmission
          • special/unique.
          There are four cars that fit that criteria (surprisingly). The Subaru WRX STi; the VW Golf R; the new Civic Type R; and the Focus RS. The STi is not particularly exciting or unique to me. The Golf R, likewise, looks like a slightly nicer GTI, which are all over the bay area and meh. The RS I drove from our fleet at work and loved; the Type R is marked up +$10k everywhere, looks pretty funky, and I just came out of a Type R. So, all of ten days after the Integra was gone...

Whoops. A 2017 RS in Nitrous Blue. The markup days of the early 2016 models are gone, and dealers are going below MSRP (and invoice, in my case) to scoot the 17s out the door. 18s are coming but there will be just 1,000 of them, they get a couple of special features so dealers are trying to mark them up again and eff that noise..

The salesman I worked with turned out to be a real enthusiast. I drove my M3 up to check out the RS and he flipped when he saw it on the lot. He was immediately scrambling for his phone to show me pictures of his E30 318 that he loves, and pointed over to his Z4 daily while launching into stories about an 8 series he once owned and the time he blew up his diff on the 318. I don't know if that helped me get my price but I'm sure it didn't hurt! Dare I say buying this car was actually a... pleasant experience?! Even my wife had a good time while we were going through paperwork.

He had something special for me when we closed the deal. I guess he usually hands over a miniature RS but I got something a little different!

So that's where I am. So far I am in love with the car, and the idea of a full warranty, and that I can look under the car and not find some boneheaded "WTF" item from a previous owner. It has a heated steering wheel! What a time to be alive!
          1988 DS
          Thread
          Photos
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Well, yesterday was the day. My date with destiny to fix the too-light clutch and swap in the transmission I spent months tracking down.

The good news is that the new transmission is a good one. Much smoother and more direct operation than the POS I pulled out. Yay.

The bad news is that the working theory for why the clutch felt terrible turned out to be incorrect. I thought that the machinist took the contact surface down without taking the pressure plate bolting face down by the same amount. I had one image of the post-machine-work flywheel and convinced myself that I was seeing this condition. Well, when we pulled it all apart the flywheel looked just fine. In fact, nothing looked amiss in the entire clutch operating assembly.

Jon and I sat there for a couple dozen minutes measuring, looking up and cross-referencing Sachs and BMW part numbers, reviewing my old receipts for the tenth time to make sure I ordered the right stuff. We couldn't find anything wrong. I am stumped. We kicked around the idea of leaving the car in pieces until we'd slept on it, but for various logistical reasons that wasn't a good option so we put it back together and I drove home. Clutch is the same as before - functions fine, good bite range, just incredibly light, as if there is nothing resisting your foot depressing the pedal. You have to just kind of drag your foot back with muscle memory to let the clutch out, rather than relaxing your calf and letting it push your foot back off.

I bought a new BMW slave cylinder because the one I have is a URO unit, but that's because it's the only non-OE piece of anything involved in the clutch operation. I don't expect an improvement.

I'm officially out of ideas. Have a look at these photos and my parts list below if you like, pose questions, I'm open to anything at this point. Feeling pretty down.

- New Evo flywheel, bolts
            - Sachs OE clutch kit KF775-01 from FCPEuro
            (Throwout bearing measured to be 25mm)
            - New BMW clutch master
            - New URO clutch slave (BMW part ordered)
            - New shift fork, little plastic pivot deal, retainer spring
            - New clutch line (braided)

Was nice to see Ted when he swung by, at least.

New Evo flywheel

Different wear pattern between centerline and inner/outer area of clutch, but not a big difference

1988 DS
            Thread
            Photos
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Have you checked the compression spring?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/35311151990/
              1988 M3
              2012 335is
              1993 Civic Si

Comment

• Hi,
                Not sure if you have checked these items.
                Above the clutch pedal there is a second assist spring device for the pedal which pushes the pedal in the down direction and has an adjustable push rod, not sure exactly how to set it up but would pay to inspect it and do a direct comparison to another M3 set up incase it has failed or been tampered with.

The bolt where the clutch m/c attaches to the pedal is a concentric and sets the hight of the pedal and has quite a difference on how heavy the clutch feels, adjusting the concentric so the pedal its higher makes the pedal harder to press down I set mine up to the same hight of the brake pedal.
                Dave.

E30 M3 1987
                Mini Clubman GT
                BMW E36 323 Msport
                Toyota Corona
                KTM 200EXC
                Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

• Thanks for the tips gentlemen. I haven not checked the spring personally, aside from confirming that it was there and didn't look glaringly wrong, but when I had the car in with Bill Arnold a few months back he said he adjusted the spring. I've not considered it suspect, but at this point everything is worth another look. I will be back under the car in a couple weeks to install the new BMW slave and bleed the system so I will add it to my checklist.

I appreciate your help!
                  1988 DS
                  Thread
                  Photos
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• When you bleed the clutch the pedal should stay on the floor once the bleeder is opened and fluid pressure has decreased then you have to physically lift it the pedal back up, if that does not happen then most likely the assist spring is not adjusted correctly.

E30 M3 1987
                    Mini Clubman GT
                    BMW E36 323 Msport
                    Toyota Corona
                    KTM 200EXC
                    Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

Working...
                    X