Comment

• I smell an M2 build...
      1988 M3
      2012 335is
      1993 Civic Si

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve88M3 View Post
        I smell an M2 build...
        Haha. I can't tear the heart out of a perfectly good M3!
        1988 Lachs - sold
        1988 DS - sold
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Dug my old friend out of the garage for the first time since the start of December. Got busy with the holidays, and then with the 'new' car, then various life things. First was to wash off the months of dust from the garage.

My car was happy to get back on the road! I'd almost forgotten how much fun it is to hustle around. I went up to regional landmark Alice's Restaurant to drive the windy roads with a friend. As usual, there was an assortment of exciting vehicles when we arrived.

Didn't get much in the way of action shots. It was a nice reminder of how perfect this car is in third gear on the back roads. Ergonomics are so perfect for heel-toe. Also a nice reminder of how lucky I am that just 45 minutes after getting off my couch, I can be speeding through redwood groves then up PCH and the incredible ocean views.

Totally unrelated: a friend recently bought his dream car. He let me drive it. I have a new benchmark for fastest/most expensive thing I've driven.

I could write a bunch of superlatives, but essentially it was exactly what you would expect. Extremely loud and fast, awesome chopped composite and wings and alcantara and the whole 9 yards. Actual capability of the car is so far beyond my skill level, but just the taste of it was a special experience. Perhaps my favorite element was the sound of the motor paired with the transmission. Instant shifts, and every downshift comes with a BANG that I am confident that the cyclists and pedestrians I passed at the time really appreciated. My friend seems to be really enjoying it, he had it at Laguna Seca last weekend and it's nice to see that he's actually putting all that motorsport hardware to use. The track insurance quotes were eye-watering for me, but if you have the means...
          1988 Lachs - sold
          1988 DS - sold
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Update: the clutch issue has been solved.

After going through every possible thing, sometimes twice, it was the pressure plate. I don't know if I got a dud unit, or a bad production batch, but my pressure plate was not right. Super frustrating that I pay full price for an "OE quality" clutch kit - critical part a job that takes a lot of time and/or money to do - and it's flawed out of the box. And then I spend nearly 2 years tearing my hair out over it.

Original install was the Sachs OE replacement piece. I swapped in a Sachs performance clutch, because I was gun-shy about buying the same thing again that had already failed me once. It's heavier, but still fine.

Now I can enjoy driving the car again!
            1988 Lachs - sold
            1988 DS - sold
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• A while back I signed up with BaT as a photographer-for-hire in the bay area. This week I got my first hit and jumped at the chance to photograph an extremely nice '74 2002tii with Turbo bodywork and an M20 swap. I really enjoyed meeting the owner and, since my tii's battery is dead as a door nail, I took the M3. Here's a nice photo of the cars together.

I think the tii will be listed in a couple weeks' time. Keep an eye out for it!
              1988 Lachs - sold
              1988 DS - sold
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Ripe for an S14 conversion.
                This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

• My journey with this car is coming to an end. I've listed it for sale, please contact me if you're interested.

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...ack-139k-miles

I've had a great time with the car and learned an enormous amount.
                  1988 Lachs - sold
                  1988 DS - sold
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• The car is sold! I'm excited for the new owner, who will continue enjoying this car in Michigan.
                    1988 Lachs - sold
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Three and a half years later, it's time to bring this thread to a close. On Tuesday I loaded the car up for shipment to its new owner in Michigan.

It's been a great journey with the car, and it's amazing the people I've met and the lessons I've learned in my time with it. The departure was made easier by the fact that I'm not leaving the community - I still have the Lachs car. But this is the one that got me started.

I'm not going anywhere, and if anything now I have more bandwidth to keep pushing on the Lachs car. Feel free to post in this thread if it's useful for any reason. I'll pick up posting over in the "10 years parked" thread, which is also linked in my signature.

Fare well, friend.
                      1988 Lachs - sold
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                      X