No announcement yet.

Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, Welcome to the S14 Forum! Second, you just had to choose the best color E30 M3!...yeah, I'm sort of biased...actually "all" E30 M3 colors are awesome....but DS "is" special IMO. You have the "bones" of a true enthusiast with both the M3 and the '02...notice my username? I've had '02's for many years....the only Bimmer that makes me smile as much as an '02/tii is the E30 M3!(and maybe the E28 M5 too!). Good luck with the ongoing work and I'm sure you will get a lot of help on this forum as you progress.

Happy ///Motoring,

John

Comment

Hey man, congrats on the pickup. I just recently acquired an 89 Salmon Silver M3 and the bug hit right away lol.

For the trans fluid, what I did was just cut the hex bit (same one you have) with a die grinder making it a specialty tool in my box. You can usually buy those in singles or an assorted 3pack so dont worry about modding that one. Stick the bit in the plug and measure how much you need to remove before cutting it.

-Josh

Comment

Originally posted by bootleg View Post
        Hey man, congrats on the pickup. I just recently acquired an 89 Salmon Silver M3 and the bug hit right away lol.

For the trans fluid, what I did was just cut the hex bit (same one you have) with a die grinder making it a specialty tool in my box. You can usually buy those in singles or an assorted 3pack so dont worry about modding that one. Stick the bit in the plug and measure how much you need to remove before cutting it.

-Josh

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I don't have the tools to grind up the wrench. Based on an older thread I ordered a Snap-On CPT110A, it looks like it will do the trick. I'll report back when it arrives. I'm going to hit the threads with some PB Blaster in the meantime to loosen things up.

In other news, I picked up a couple bits from the dealer to complete my trunk tool kit. Also got a new key made since the one that came with the car looks like a very old, very soft copy. I received an all-metal key that looked like this, when I was hoping for one like this. The latter style is available on eBay, it's just more $$. A running theme of BMWs it seems...
        1988 Lachs - sold
        1988 DS - sold
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

I need some help here. As mentioned in the last post, I went to the dealer and paid to have two new keys made to my VIN, as the single key I received with the car is a very worn-out Silca copy. Picked up the keys today and neither works in the ignition tumbler. They can lock the doors and decklid, but no dice turning the car on. The keys seats fully in the tumbler but won't turn.

It's hard to be 100% confident, but the worn-out key and the new keys generally match in profile. The worn-out key works on the doors and trunk as well. Any ideas?
          1988 Lachs - sold
          1988 DS - sold
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

is the key cut at the dealer? I have had to take keys back to the hardware store when house keys didn't fit the lock. They smoothed out some of the spots and it would then work in the lock. When the new and old keys are side by side, do you see any obvious differences? Since they fit the door, it must not be off by much. Or the ignition lock tumbler has loosened up to fit the old key.

Comment

Originally posted by ttw18 View Post
              is the key cut at the dealer? I have had to take keys back to the hardware store when house keys didn't fit the lock. They smoothed out some of the spots and it would then work in the lock. When the new and old keys are side by side, do you see any obvious differences? Since they fit the door, it must not be off by much. Or the ignition lock tumbler has loosened up to fit the old key.
              Cut at the dealer, yes. The working key is worn smooth but the overall profile looks correct to me. The working key doesn't have firm "shoulders" anymore to limit how far it can be inserted, so I have to back it out 1-2mm in the doors and ignition. The new keys have well-defined shoulders, I suspect that smoothing them down would give the new keys the mm or two needed to turn correctly. In any case, still waiting for the key maker to get back to the dealer.

Is it dumb to post a photo of the keys together online?
              1988 Lachs - sold
              1988 DS - sold
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

I don't see any harm in posting photos of the keys. I didn't have any trouble with my drain plug at all and used the hex bits from AutoZone. I do have a "slimmer" socket wrench I may have used though...
                -Gabe
                '89 Zinno M3 Project

Comment

There is an app that can produce a key using an image. I wouldn't post a photo of my key.

Comment

Alright, we'll pass on the key thing. Posting a photo wouldn't really help the issue anyway. Instead, let's get some more exciting photos up... I've started collecting and squirreling away parts.

Tracked down the OEM head unit because I like stock stuff and I wanted a cassette deck back.

Had to get a cassette console to hold all those tapes...

The car has a later-style shift knob at the moment, I like the look of the original better:

The alcantara wheel on my E90 was one of the best mods I've ever done, so I grabbed an Evo wheel for the E30. Interestingly, the texture of the wheels is totally different. If the E90 wheel was made from the skin of a short-haired alcantara animal, this one is more of a long-hair thing. Feels scruffier, more raw. I think I'm going to like it.

Finally, a set of Style 5s from the 7 series. I'm really excited about some of the tire options available in the 16x8 arena. They'll need to be refinished a bit, and I probably won't be fitting them until I figure out what to do with the suspension.

Oh yeah... I've got a bit of an R/C collection as well, with 1:10 versions of my 1:1 cars. Had to get this one.

I've been compiling a long laundry list of items to get this car where I want it, and I'm going to start scouring the forums and eBay for replacement interior bits to swap out some of my worn items. I am debating where to go in terms of suspension - this is a street car that may get involved in the occasional autocross or track day down the road. It seems that the Bilstein + H&R Sport combo is what I'm after, but I've heard that Konis are a good choice too. I'm trying to decide by Saturday, as BavAuto has Bilstein stuff 10% through the end of the month. I'm open to input. Goal is to have a streetable sporty car, with something within 1" of stock ride height that will work with the 16" wheels when they get involved.

1988 Lachs - sold
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Where in the Bay Area are you? I live in San Francisco proper and can help you with a few projects and certainly your key problem. I ran into the same key problem with the dealer and figured out how to solve it. You can email me at eamanb (at) gmail if you need to reach me via email. Congrats on your E30M
                      --------------------------------------
                      The God's chariot... (OO==[][]==OO)
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks very much, I'll send you an email. So far I've met three other bay area owners, is there a local meetup set up? It would be fun to get together one weekend.
                        1988 Lachs - sold
                        1988 DS - sold
                        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

DS is such a beautiful color. Clean!
                          '90 Alpine White M3

My Journal
                          OEM Hella Smoked Euro Smileys | OEM Headlamp Washers | Startec Tail Lights |
                          EVO III Undertray | EVO III Front Lip | '92 DTM CF Gurney Flap | Recaro N'Joys |
                          Ground Control Coilovers | OZ Futuras
                          DD: '97 Alpine White M3/4/5

Comment

Key issue has been resolved. As suspected, the "hard stop" shoulder was preventing the key from seating correctly and engaging all of the pins. A little bit of Dremel work and I'm up to 3 working keys. You can see the two keys pre- and post-rework below. Key pattern blurred out just to be safe.

Alcantara wheel, console, and stock shift boot installed and feeling great, I'll add photos soon. Bilstein sports and H&R sports are in the mail.
                            1988 Lachs - sold
                            1988 DS - sold
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Took the car out yesterday to a BMW CCA golden gate chapter event, a driving tour through the East Bay. I met some great folks and had a good time driving the car on the twisties. Weather was beautiful as well! I enjoyed my new steering wheel and shift knob. I went from the black kidneys back to stock, I prefer that look.

Spirited driving highlighted the need for new bushings and a shifter rebuild. I am planning on replacing the following:

- rear subframe bushings
                              - rear trailing arm bushings (do I want eccentric or normal?)
                              - trans mount
                              - diff mount
                              - what else for a "thorough freshening"?
                              1988 Lachs - sold
                              1988 DS - sold
                              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

There was some talk that the forum was dying... thought I would step up as a 'newbie' and generate some content!

It's been a busy past couple of weeks with my car. What started as an effort to replace the idle control valve (which turned out to be new-looking and in-spec after all) turned into an intake refurbish. I'm relatively new to type of work - I've done a few cold-air intakes on modern cars - but this has been an exciting project. What better way to get to know my motor than to dive into the coolest part of it: air horns and throttle bodies? I picked up new throttle body gaskets and Turner supplemental gaskets; new throttle body O-rings; a new plenum O-ring; new tamper-proof caps; a new throttle cable; and pulled my injectors and sent them to MEPEH for cleaning.

I'm cleaning up the throttle bodies, plenum, and air horns while I wait for my injectors to come back. While all of this is going on, I've been collecting parts for future projects. Pictured below are some of the bits waiting in the wings.

Stainless brake lines, new accessory belts, all of the bushings and fixins required for a shifter overhaul; Bilstein sports (will be paired with H&R Sports); the stock Alpine head unit, and 16x8 style 5s. The previous owner was kind of enough to pass on a couple of other nice boxes, here's the Evo wing (with 6cm-over carbon flap) and Evo 2 front lip.

I prefer the look of the Evo 3 splitter setup, and I've ordered one from Marcus. The Evo 2 will be sold - can anyone tell me the easiest way to determine whether it's genuine or a replica? It's pretty floppy, if that's an indicator. I have so many other projects in mind that aren't captured here... previous owner passed along an Eisenmann exhaust that needs installation; the car's tint is crappy and I need to remove it; my Smiley headlamps should arrive from the Netherlands any day now!

One last snap, of my two bimmers together.

1988 Lachs - sold
                                1988 DS - sold
                                Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                                X