Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Konig View Post
    Well, the shifter ordeal has really turned into... an ordeal. I think the root cause was a failure on my part to understand the scope of work before starting the project. The reading I did on forums indicated that you COULD rebuild everything without lowering the exhaust and driveshaft, but that it was recommended to get that stuff out of the way. I don't have the tools in my garage to do that, so I started with hand tools and hoped for the best. In the end, I succeeded only in removing the selector rod and rendering the car un-driveable.

I had to have the car towed to a shop, which took a few days while I waited for an opening in their schedule, and they finally got the car re-assembled last night. I picked up the car this morning and they told me that the old parts were in the footwell, in the box I provided. I drove off to work and found that the shift action, while much improved, still didn't feel great. When I parked at the office I looked through my box of parts and, to my dismay, saw the two delrin bushings I had provided to replace part #4 in the diagram in post 43.

I called the shop and they've told me to bring it in to get it corrected. They're a good shop so it will be taken care of, but that's going to cost me a couple hours of getting rides to/from the shop etc. Lesson learned: when in doubt, book a DIY shop at $30/hour and do the job with the right tools. Instead, it cost me nearly $300 for the tow and work, time away from work coordinating the tow and shop dropoff, and a week without the car.
    Thanks for posting your ordeal on this. I've got the Z3 shifter kit sitting in a box waiting to be installed. Your posts have helped with the scope of work.

Hope it turned out OK in the end for you.
    88' E30 M3 | Zinnoberrot & Tan | Various Goodies = OEM+

Register your E30 M3!
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt View Post

Thanks for posting your ordeal on this. I've got the Z3 shifter kit sitting in a box waiting to be installed. Your posts have helped with the scope of work.

Hope it turned out OK in the end for you.
      If it's just the shifter rod itself, it's very easy to do that swap. It's the associated bushings that are nearly impossible to do without getting the exhaust and driveshaft out of the way.

Car is going to the shop this morning to be corrected. Noticed his week that my accelerator pedal linkage was pretty sloppy... There were no bushings on the linkage. Fixed that and it feels much smoother. How and why did someone remove those and not replace them...?
      1988 DS
      1988 Lachs
      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Konig
        Konig commented
        Editing a comment
        To add some additional info. Going off of the parts diagram in post 43:

The gear shift and selector rod (9, 12) can be replaced without pulling anything else out of the way. The rear carrier bushing (7) can only be removed with the exhaust, heat shields, and possibly driveshaft out of the way. The front selector rod joint (13-18) I was able to remove, but not re-install without getting the exhaust and driveshaft out of the way. Bushing (4) also required exhaust and driveshaft removal. Hopefully this info helps someone out in the future.

Removing the driveshaft, exhaust, and heat shields was labor intensive, but it was pretty straight forward. I would recommend going that route for anyone looking to do the shifter fix in the future.

Konig, could you ellaborate on your TPS fix? You said you "loosened the top screw and rotated it 10 degrees". How did that affect/fix your issue with the switch not working?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsNotTheNissan View Post
        Removing the driveshaft, exhaust, and heat shields was labor intensive, but it was pretty straight forward. I would recommend going that route for anyone looking to do the shifter fix in the future.

Konig, could you ellaborate on your TPS fix? You said you "loosened the top screw and rotated it 10 degrees". How did that affect/fix your issue with the switch not working?
        The sensor mounts via two slots so its position can be rotated a bit around the throttle body shaft. As Dave advised, the sensor should give an audible click when the throttle opens. Mine wasn't, so I loosened the mount screws, tweaked the sensor slightly so it clicked as required, then tightened it back down. Idle corrected itself immediately.
        1988 DS
        1988 Lachs
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• ItsNotTheNissan
          ItsNotTheNissan commented
          Editing a comment
          So the positioning of the sensor within its mounts plays in to its functionality?

• Konig
          Konig commented
          Editing a comment
          That's correct. It needs to be mounted in such an orientation that it clicks as soon as the throttle moves away from idle.

The shifter refurb work is behind me. The addition of the delrin bushings didn't change much and overall the shifter feels slightly better but not great. Someone advised me to replace the shift lever because the "ball wears out" but that sounded strange. Where else should I be looking to improve my shift feel? To recap, I replaced 7, 10, 11, and the 13 assembly with OEM parts; replaced 4 with delrin bushings, and replaced 12 with a dual shear rod. Transmission fluid was changed recently with Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

Took the M3 out to the TUDOR race at Laguna Seca this weekend. I thought it was somewhat strange that my car was more or less the oldest thing in attendance.

Very slick F80 M3 in the corral as well.

Next project for the car: fix the exhaust. A previous owner fitted a goofy DTM style muffler that is 1 pipe in / 1 pipe out, with two tips but only one functional. The other tip points at the back of the muffler can and looks very silly. He/she had the center section welded from 2 pipes down to 1 behind the cats to get this muffler to fit, which is no bueno for the Eisenmann sport exhaust I have in the garage. I'll need to get the center section welded back to a 2-out configuration.
        1988 DS
        1988 Lachs
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Eisenmann exhaust went in yesterday.

Before, aka worst thing ever

New one going in

That's better. Sound is deep and nice, I'm very happy with it.
          1988 DS
          1988 Lachs
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Nice exhaust! I'll be installing my Eisenmann exhaust this weekend. I can't wait

Register your E30 M3!

Comment

Hoyt, let me know how you like the exhaust. I'm digging mine.

Went on a drive with the Golden Gate CCA chapter this morning. I definitely did not have the coolest M3 today.

I saw the same car last weekend and got a better photo. The owner is a nice guy - the car has 80k miles, but looks more like 20k. Drives it on the street, tracks it, and wins shows with it!

Today I peeled off the body-color "bump strips" from the side of the car. You can see them in the photos of my car, they're kind of... weird. There is some residue but I think I will be able to clean it up with a polish.
              1988 DS
              1988 Lachs
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Koenig - I'm loving the new exhaust. I've got it paired with a VSR center section w/cats and it sound great! No drone and a nice deep low end that turns into a great scream at the hig end.

Register your E30 M3!

Comment

Not much to report lately... mostly been driving the car and enjoying it, slowly collecting parts. Today I replaced the transmission mounts. My old ones were probably original, and worse for wear. I don't think they're supposed to come out in two pieces:

I'm happy to report that shifting is much improved!

Meanwhile, I'm nearly done with the stock head unit install. I collected all weird connectors, labeled all wires, hooked it all up, and... nothing.

I will continue to debug.
                  1988 DS
                  1988 Lachs
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Another update - got to the motor mounts this week. The RH side mount didn't look so good. Marked '86.'

It looks like I'm missing the motor mount heat shield, which probably didn't help things. New one is on the way... in the meantime, the car feels way better. Replacing the front control arms, sway bar bushings, and all associated rubber this week.
                    1988 DS
                    1988 Lachs
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Where did you get your splitter and would love to see photos of it mounted
                      91 535
                      91 325 S52
                      88 vert
                      91 325IX
                      91 318
                      88 M3

Comment

Love the updates. I can't believe the previous owner mounted that second "dummy" tip to the exhaust!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elcoy View Post
                          Where did you get your splitter and would love to see photos of it mounted
                          I bought it from Markus. I don't have plans to mount it in the near future - I would like to repaint the bumpers (and possibly the entire car) before installation.

Originally posted by Andyman746 View Post
                          Love the updates. I can't believe the previous owner mounted that second "dummy" tip to the exhaust!

I’'m glad you enjoy them. I told the guy at the muffler shop to toss that thing in the trash.

I continue on my efforts to replace old rubber. Two weeks ago I tackled the front suspension, which was all original 27 year-old rubber. I installed new control arms, bushings, tie rods, boots, sway bar mounts and bushings, and sway bar end links, all OEM parts. I was missing the heat shield for the RH motor mount, so I installed one. That probably explains why the outgoing mount was completely fried / collapsed / split [post 56].

The car feels much, much better now - no more crashing across the pavement. The job was made easier by my friend Jon, who had tackled the same job on his car a couple weeks prior and loaned me the tools to push/pull the control arm bushings into place. The only stumbling block of the job was the RH tie rod, which I could not break loose from the steering rack. Jon was kind enough to let me stick my car on his lift and get more leverage on the wrench.

This photo is dark, but you can see that I swapped the smoked turn signal lenses for the stock orange pieces.

Jon is doing an amazing job bringing his M3 back to life. He’s transforming it from a battered track car into a happy street machine. His guidance and input have been invaluable as I tackle my projects… evidence of the great community around this car. Thanks Jon!

So what’s next? The rubber in the rear suspension is completely shot, but at the moment I’m weighing my options because it’s a more involved job than the front. My alternator/PS/AC belts are cracked, so I think I’ll start there. There is no shortage of projects… you guys know how it goes. The car gets better with every completed job!

1988 DS
                          1988 Lachs
                          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Sorry, double post.
                            1988 DS
                            1988 Lachs
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                            X