No announcement yet.

Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the photos of Jon's progress. I wish I could participate but I am stranded in Atlanta due to flight cancelations.

Oil pans have been installed and re-sealed with liquid sealant.

IE steering coupler installed and subframe back in position. Pilot bearing and rear main seal have been replaced.

We (read: Jon) attempted the 'pack with grease' extraction method for the pilot bearing but an Autozone rental did the trick.

My intake cam was one tooth advanced, or perhaps retarded, I can't tell by looking at it. Jon loosened things up and straightened it out.

Before

After

Everything else back where it should be.

Front shocks have been swapped, once I receive the new upper strut mount bushings we'll be ready to get the springs back on and finish that component.

Axle cleanup and re-boot efforts ongoing.

Next steps: replace header studs and nuts with the kit from Turner; get the flywheel machined to Evo spec, get all bearings and bushings replaced, and start putting this baby back together! It's going to be a good new year.
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Some more progress today.

Transmission seals (input shaft and rear seal) replaced, hopefully the days of weeping are over.

New clutch fork, new spring, new plastic pins (forgot what they're called).

Upper strut mounts arrived so preparing to reassemble the front struts. Various bits and bobs

Front strut assemblies back together. New Koni shocks, new rubber spring seats where needed, new bump stops, new shock upper mounts.

Moving in the right direction... reassembly.

Tomorrow the flywheel and everything with bushings is headed to the machine shop to be resurfaced / lightened / pressed out.
      1988 Lachs - sold
      1988 DS - sold
      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Tip for the pilot bearing: wet paper. Rip up pieces of paper and soak them in water. Then stuff them into the pilot bearing and eventually it will come out nice and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
          Tip for the pilot bearing: wet paper. Rip up pieces of paper and soak them in water. Then stuff them into the pilot bearing and eventually it will come out nice and easy.

Good tip, we/he was able to get it with a rented tool. The other trick I heard was bread (doing the same thing as the paper and grease). We almost went for a nice loaf of sourdough...
          1988 Lachs - sold
          1988 DS - sold
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Looking good Pall. I'm glad to see you put my shocks to use. I can't wait to see it with the LMs that Chris built.

Comment

Thanks! I can't wait to get back on the road.

Jon has pressed in a new bushing to my shifter rod and machined it to match my shift selector rod exactly. He also turned some delrin down for the joint on the other side. This man is a tight-fit fanatic!

I finally picked up my personalized plate from the DMV. California is re-issuing its "legacy" plates from the 60s. I wouldn't usually go for this thing but I was surprised to see this plate was available and decided I'd try the black on black.

On Friday I dropped off my flywheel to be lightened to Evo spec and resurfaced, I hope to receive it back this week. All bearings and bushings are also in the process of being pressed out / swapped over.
              1988 Lachs - sold
              1988 DS - sold
              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

very nice!

Comment

Reassembly continues. The rear end is coming back together, the subframe is back in place.

Axles have new boots. Cleaning out the old grease was not the most fun thing

Splines cleaned up a little bit

New wheel bearings to receive them

In process / installed and torqued. Axles done

Shifter assembly back together and feeling good.

Driveshaft overhauled with new center bushing.

New fuel hose

Diff bushing

Subframe bushings

Trailing arm bushings

Spring pads and OE springs back in place

Front... nothing new since the last update

New license plate, really happy with it. My driver window stopped working around Thanksgiving so we dug in and diagnosed a bad motor.

Transmission awaits lightened flywheel.

Only a few major items left at this point - the flywheel was supposed to be done this week, but we'll have to delay a bit. When that returns we reinstall the transmission, replace the header studs, reinstall driveshaft, exhaust, fill it with oil and brake fluid, and get it back on its wheels.
                  1988 Lachs - sold
                  1988 DS - sold
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

The flywheel is back. Resurfaced, lightened to 12.5 lbs, and balanced. Hopefully this means I'm done buying parts for this job! Planning on making big progress this weekend with Jon.
                    1988 Lachs - sold
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

This car is coming along very nicely. Love following your progress!

Comment

Thanks CourtM3!

Today was a big step - the transmission is back in the car. Jon and I worked a long day and we plan to reconvene tomorrow and get this thing finished up.

One last look at the main seal area

Lightened flywheel installed with shorter bolts, as the bolting face was machined down to Evo thickness. Threadlock used on the bolts per the recent SIG mailing list chatter

I ordered new pressure plate bolts but they were longer than what we removed; after some confusion about spacers we concluded that, while some M3s seem to have these spacers, mine did not and would be fine without them.

Extracting header to address some missing nuts and studs

Turner Studs and new gaskets

Header done. These were annoying to reach

Transmission is back in the car! This was straightforward, but the starter bolt/nuts at the top are a royal pain. They were annoying to remove, they were more annoying to reinstall.

Tomorrow we finish the shift linkage, driveshaft, exhaust, add oil, bleed the brakes, and hit the road!
                        1988 Lachs - sold
                        1988 DS - sold
                        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Are you installing the LMs yet ? How is the alcantara holding up on the steering wheel ?

Comment

Originally posted by brandonsan View Post
                            Are you installing the LMs yet ? How is the alcantara holding up on the steering wheel ?
                            The LMs aren't going on yet, I wanted to get this job done first before fitting nice wheels. My wallet still needs to recover from this project and the holidays so it will be a little while before I get tires on the wheels, and then I'll need to get some springs to get the ride height right. The alcantara is holding up okay, but I don't know that I would buy it again. Leather would last much longer.
                            1988 Lachs - sold
                            1988 DS - sold
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

I drove my car for the first time in 2 months today!

Guibo reinstalled

New clutch slave cylinder and braided line installed. The old one was shot and causing my terrible clutch feel / engagement

Replaced the clutch master because hey, why not. This little fitting was a pain in the bum to swap over.

Jon got tired of waiting to finish my project, and bought himself another project

I was missing the header bracket - new one installed

Driveshaft center support reinstalled and torqued

Head shielding

Exhaust back in

Jon didn't like an ugly weld on my center section and went after it.

Eisenmann sport

Jon goes after my trunk trim

With everything buttoned up, we added oil, bled the brakes and clutch, and started it up. After a short smoke show from the PB blaster-covered header we pushed back for a shakedown drive. The car feels SO much better. Previously I was crashing across the road, hating the clutch, hating the shifter feel... really not loving the car. Now it feels as it should. The clutch is light, the lightened flywheel revs more freely, the shift action is tight, and I can't even begin to describe the improvement to the handling and ride quality. Night and day. The Konis feel very well-matched to the stock springs.

We have a couple of issues to troubleshoot before I bring the car home - the reverse lights aren't working and pressing the clutch makes the brake lights go on, which is not ideal. Probably a mixup somewhere in the pedal area from our master cylinder replacement. Otherwise the car feels absolutely amazing. Thank you Jon, I could never have done this without your help.
                              1988 Lachs - sold
                              1988 DS - sold
                              Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Back on the road! New Koni struts have propped the front ride height up a bit.
                                1988 Lachs - sold
                                1988 DS - sold
                                Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                                X