No announcement yet.

Ditched my E90 for an '88 DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been many posts about the overhaul just completed, this will be the last one. A summary of everything that was done:

Rear subframe overhaul
    • Rear subframe mounts replaced
    • Differential bushing replaced
    • Trailing arm bushings replaced
    • Rear sway bar mounts, end links replaced
    • Axle boots replaced, bearings re-greased
    • Fuel fill neck hose replaced
    • Rear wheel bearings replaced
    Clutch / driveline overhaul
    • Clutch master cylinder replaced
    • Clutch slave cylinder replaced
    • Stock rubber clutch hose replaced with braided line
    • OEM Sachs clutch and pressure plate installed
    • Flywheel resurfaced, lightened to Evo spec (12.5 lbs)
    • Driveshaft center mount replaced
    • Gear selector shaft seal replaced
    • Transmission output shaft seal replaced
    • Rear main seal and crank cover seal gasket replaced
    • Pilot bearing replaced
    • Gear selector shaft bushing re-sleeved
    Brakes
    • Braided brake lines installed
    • Speed bleeders installed
    Suspension update
    • Koni sport single-adjustable dampers installed
    • Rear upper and lower spring pads replaced
    • Front strut upper mounts replaced (OEM)
    • Rear strut upper mounts replaced (Rogue Engineering)
    • Steering coupler/guibo replaced (Ireland Engineering)
    Header update
    • Header studs replaced (Turner kit)
    • New header gaskets installed (Victor Reinz)
    • Missing header mounting bracket installed
    • New header-midpipe gaskets and bolt hardware
    • Muffler alignment corrected
    • Midsection leak re-welded
    Upper oil pan resealed

Valve adjustment
    • Intake cam corrected (was one tooth advanced/retarded)

And now it's ready for the next projects, namely the driver's side window motor that has stopped working. In addition, my CM5908 stereo has stopped ejecting tapes and destroyed my Queens of the Stone Age tape in the process. I have a motor/regulator and year-correct CM5905 on the way to address these issues. Otherwise, I'm just re-learning the new clutch, flywheel, and shifter. Oh, and it could use a wash. Still covered in all the dirt from the LA roadtrip at Thanksgiving.
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Excellent work getting on top of the maintenance and great to be able to enjoy your car now it is back on the road, you have a superb fully equiped home garage.

E30 M3 1987
      Mini Clubman GT
      BMW E36 323 Msport
      Toyota Corona
      KTM 200EXC
      Honda CB50 (1979)

Comment

• Konig
        Konig commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish - that's Jon's! Mine is too small to open doors on both sides at the same time :-(

And on to the next one - driver side window stopped working just before the great subframe project. Sourced a used working unit from eBay.

Tip: don't strip the manual crank on the motor with the backup wrench. Had to use a screw extractor and some brute force, I guess the regulator was really binding

First wash since Thanksgiving... eek

1988 Lachs - sold
      1988 DS - sold
      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Two more tasks completed.

Alpine CM5908 (infrared slider, later M3) head unit replaced because the cassette ejector stopped working. Bought and installed a very nice refurbished CM5905 (correct for my car, with external fader). Crappy photo below as I finished the install just a few minutes ago

My driver side seat back was in poor condition, I was able to pick up seat backs in better shape and install them.

1988 Lachs - sold
        1988 DS - sold
        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

The saga of the LMs continues. Today, they received tires. Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec. 215/40/17 and 235/40/17 on 8.5" and 9" wheels.

Stuck them on the car to get a feel for how much I'll need to lower. I'll roll it out into the driveway in the morning to get a better look than is possible in my coffin of a garage. I pushed the car back and forth and bounced it a bit, it seems to be about 40mm gap between tire top and fender in the rear and 55mm in the front. Car is on fresh Koni SAs and OE springs.
          1988 Lachs - sold
          1988 DS - sold
          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Ready to do some off-roading! I'm going to order the Ground Control coilover conversion kit today and see if I can get away without modifying my strut housings. I'm looking for something like a 2" drop in the front and 1.5" in the back.
            1988 Lachs - sold
            1988 DS - sold
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

It's about time ! Looks good. Have you considered H&R race springs ?

Comment

It's about time you put the LMs on !. It looks good ! Have you considered H&R race springs ?

Comment

Originally posted by brandonsan View Post
                  It's about time you put the LMs on !. It looks good ! Have you considered H&R race springs ?
                  Not really, for two reasons. First, while suspension ride comfort is very subjective, they are mostly described as quite stiff, which I want to avoid if possible. Second, I want to get the ride height right the first time, and coilovers will let me dial it in just where I want it. I placed my order with GC today, if parts arrive next week I could theoretically get it all installed next weekend.
                  1988 Lachs - sold
                  1988 DS - sold
                  Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Success!

Yesterday we pulled off a meet for all bay area E30 M3s, I'm very happy to report that we got 13 cars to come out. The E30M folks are the best I've met in any of my car communities.

This morning I woke up at 5:20a to meet some friends and hustle our way up highway 1 to Tomales from San Francisco. One just took delivery of his GT4, which may be darn near the perfect road car. The noise it makes is unbelievable, and it was a treat to chase it for 50 miles. I had some trouble before the drive started, when my horn button stopped working and the horn would start honking when I turned the wheel 20 degrees off center in either direction. It would have been funnier if not for the fact that it was 5:45a on a Sunday and I had places to be. I pulled the fuse and will have to sort it out.
                    1988 Lachs - sold
                    1988 DS - sold
                    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Pulled the steering wheel and found my horn issue. The horn contact pin's housing had cracked. New parts have been ordered. While the part diagram shows this piece retained by two bolts and nuts, mine seems to have been riveted in from the factory. I'll drill those out.

Last night I received my GC coilover conversion kit. I'm not sure what to expect from these but we shall see. My fear is that, since I am not modifying the stock strut housing, I will not have adequate shock travel. If it doesn't work, I'll try another solution.

1988 Lachs - sold
                      1988 DS - sold
                      Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Pall - You are on a tear dude! Can't believe all the progress the car has seen already. Glad you finally got the LMs on. Between you and Jon, you guys got some serious E30 M3 Makeover going on.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                        97 Porsche Carrera S
                        13 Audi S6
                        SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                        GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

• Thanks Young! Wish you could have been there on Saturday.

I coordinated (another) car meet this weekend for work, here's a snap of my M3 with an i8.

I changed my transmission fluid today. I had Redline Lightweight Shockproof before based on whatever threads I read at the time, now I'm trying GM Syncromesh with Friction Modifiers. I've used it with success in my other cars and I'm hoping that it will smooth my shifting a little bit. I feel like shift action would be improved by a weighted knob, but I like the stock one and I bought it not that long ago :-/
                          1988 Lachs - sold
                          1988 DS - sold
                          Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• Fixed my horn issue. As mentioned before, on my 6/87 build car the pin was riveted in. I drilled those out and replaced with the appropriate (M5) hardware.

Before

After

Driving a car of this size and 'value' among modern traffic is scary without a horn, I'm glad to have mine working again.
                            1988 Lachs - sold
                            1988 DS - sold
                            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• car looks fantastic
                              [SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X